New Center Stage at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
That stage is an eyesore.

It may be an eyesore but it is the best location to do these type of events in the park.

People really need to relax Star Wars weekend are a huge event so this is part of that addition. Then if it is used for Frozen summer great it is entertainment and one of the reason people come to the park I believe is to be entertained.

This is a stage they've used every year for years and years now for various events. Nothing to worry about it being permanent (it actually HAS TO come down every once in awhile), but unless they move it to a different area when they get going with a park expansion, this will be here this time of year every year for the near future.
For a visual to support this, this is how the tall corner pieces are being held up. There is also a wooden ramp being built up the curved walkway to the stage. Being made of wood, I would assume this is also temporary for SWW and following events.

Excuse the corrupted file, I just found out my SD card is bad and has been chopping off parts of my images.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 119

Furiated

This year's stage will be similar to last year's and of years past. Except this year it will sit on the Sorcerer Hat's platform instead of in front of it.
march-24th-2015-112.jpg

Last year the lighting rig was shaped like the Millennium Falcon, the year before like Darth Vader's TIE fighter. Who knows what this year's will look like? ;)

giphy.gif

KeeKee

Saw the stage Saturday and it didn't look bad in the configuration it was in at that time. Don't know what it will look like if anything is added, but it really isn't intrusive as is. And I loathed the hat!

At least the stage is less obtrusive during the fireworks than the hat. Though I must say those pictures of the cleared out area were a revelation followed immediately by sadness when that stage went up. :(

doctornick

So, to be clear, will the plan for now just be to put up and take down the stage for events? Was the talk about a retractable stage going into the ground, just idle chatter and not based on any reality?

FWIW, stage without the hat looks better than stage with the hat. And would allow more room to watch the shows on the stage as well, no?

epcotWSC

The canopy kind of ruins the view. The stage itself isn't all that bad. Wish they could do without it... Unfortunately with Florida rains it would never happen.

KeeKee

It didn't appear that there was any provision for any kind of retractable stage, and the stage that was there looked pretty permanent. You can call anything temporary I guess, but this looked like a substantial installation. Still not bad. Barely noticed it walking in the park. It really doesn't interfere with the site lines. Maybe just a little bit, but not so bad.

Disneyhead'71

If by retractable you mean it will be up until September, then completely torn down, then put up again for NYE, torn down again, (wash, rinse, repeat) then yes.
Actually I believe that after the stage comes down, they will start construction on a permanentit
It may be an eyesore but it is the best location to do these type of events in the park.

People really need to relax Star Wars weekend are a huge event so this is part of that addition. Then if it is used for Frozen summer great it is entertainment and one of the reason people come to the park I believe is to be entertained.
It would look lovely here:

streets_of_america.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It didn't appear that there was any provision for any kind of retractable stage, and the stage that was there looked pretty permanent. You can call anything temporary I guess, but this looked like a substantial installation. Still not bad. Barely noticed it walking in the park. It really doesn't interfere with the site lines. Maybe just a little bit, but not so bad.

If you are referencing to the stage that is there now, then it is temporary. The same stage has been put up and taken down numerous times over the last couple years. I don't know if the retractable stage is actually happening or not, but it's conceivable that they are going to do it but just didn't have the time before SWW to do it, so it may come later if it's happening at all.

gmajew

Premium Member
Actually I believe that after the stage comes down, they will start construction on a permanentit

It would look lovely here:

streets_of_america.jpg
Cause no reason to go there.... it would be a wasted area for these type of events....

Argue with that all you want but this is the best spot for these type of events in this park....

This is temp for a specific event.... they would not have torn down the hat to just block it like this forever....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom