New "Caring for Giants" $30.00 Experience Debuts at Animal Kingdom on March 12 2017

No Name

Since Disney has had these kinds of events pretty much since opening day, why does it seem to bother you so much now? If you don't think it's worth it, well, fine, don't pay to use that service. If you think that AK is just like your local zoo, then don't go there. And yes, I can say that. Why would anyone in their right mind go someplace that they have issues with? Beyond me. :confused:

Did I hit a nerve? I don't have issues with it, I just don't see the appeal.

My first line:
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with other guest's enjoyment. I just don't get it.

contrariwise

Since Disney has had these kinds of events pretty much since opening day, why does it seem to bother you so much now?

If this was the first new tour (or upcharge event) announced in years, I don't think people would be so quick to oppose it. This is not happening in a vacuum. And it's not an isolated incident. That's the problem. It seems to be the latest in a long line of new things that have less to do with innovation and more to do with increasing profit without giving much in exchange.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If this was the first new tour (or upcharge event) announced in years, I don't think people would be so quick to oppose it. This is not happening in a vacuum. And it's not an isolated incident. That's the problem. It seems to be the latest in a long line of new things that have less to do with innovation and more to do with increasing profit without giving much in exchange.
Except that there are many people that will see the value in this tour. Just because some here don't, doesn't mean it's not a good thing for others.

contrariwise

Except that there are many people that will see the value in this tour. Just because some here don't, doesn't mean it's not a good thing for others.
True. I have considered many of the tours for previous trips. If it has any real value, it will stick around. If it doesn't, it will be shelved with the cabanas and the poop shaped treats in AK.

Last edited:

JohnD

Right. Does it provide value to the person who might want to take it? When I heard about the Star Wars tour, my opinion was that it didn't provide value to me as I could do pretty much everything the tour offered without taking it. This $30 tour ($5 more than Behind the Seeds) takes you to the elephant enclosures and learn more about how they are kept and fed. I would find that interesting.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
True. I have considered many of the tours for previous trips. If it has any real value, it will stick around. If it doesn't, it will be shelved with the cabanas and the poop shaped treats in AK.
I think that the amount of things being tried is the problem with some people. Some will work, and some won't, but I don't think it hurts to try as they are doing, and I don't think it's all just a cash grab either. The dessert parties are a prime example, and are apparently full all the time, so people are obviously finding value in them. If they didn't, they would go away. The specialty offerings during F&W are another. Some of them sell out in a few minutes, even though they cost a few hundred per person, so there is value to those people.

The way people throw the word "upcharge" around here, then I think even eating at a park restaurant is an upcharge event, and I should get all of my food while at the park for free.

radiorae

^The KS experience isn't ruined by all the changes over the years. But it has been significantly diminished. One can even make an objective argument it is a less-authentic, lower-quality experience: ie. Today, at Point A (and B and C and D, etc.), I can now see a chain link fence or 'backstage' area/enclosure. In 1998, at those same points, no fences were visible, only natural looking rock and vegetation. Therefore, at these various Points, the KS today looks more like a traditional zoo and less like an Idealized Safari in East Africa than it once did. Period.

I agree. I visited for the first time in five years just a couple weeks ago, and remember noticing that there were a lot more (animal keeper) roads/paths and visible fences. It made me a little sad -- I knew they had made some big changes early 2012, but it didn't feel the same. Still fantastic to see all the animals, but it definitely felt more "zoo", especially where they partitioned off the hyenas and switched out the poacher scene for more animal space. I can't make an argument as to what an "idealized safari in East Africa" is supposed to look like, but I do know that the KS has lost a bit of it's charm compared to past experience.

The one positive I can say about "Caring for Giants" is that at least it isn't as pricey as other upcharges. Yes, it's still expensive, and yes, probably not much better than an experience you'd get at an average zoo. But I can see it as a great opportunity for families who want to do something "special" for their kids but don't have the crazy amounts of extra cash lying around for the AKL safaris or Wild Africa Trek.Yeah, we might think it's dumb, but it will probably make the day of some 7-year old animal lover to go "behind the scenes" and get a special viewing area for elephants.

BatStang2000

Just booked this for May 1. With DVC discount it was just $51.00 for the both of us. By the way, I'm 56 and my wife is 58, no kids and we are both excited about doing this. We are both retired but still enjoy acting like little kids whether we are at home or at WDW. I'm sure we will enjoy it.

Figments Friend

This new 'pay-for-adventure' offering seems a bit pointless since you don't actually get to interact with the elephants...but that is understandable if one knows the restrictions in place regarding such.

When i started reading the official blurb describing the experience, i just assumed it also included some sort of short interaction...perhaps feeding them.
But no....it is just observing them from afar, which is pretty much what you can do on your own in the Park for 'free'.

Perhaps Disney is hoping there will be other people who will read or hear about this and assume it involves something more along the lines of some type of elephant interactions.
That would get quite a few to pay the 'reasonable' price and expect to be getting something much more then just a viewing spot.

I see this offering as something that might mis-lead Guests into thinking more is involved.

-

Last edited:

The real rescueranger

Just booked this for May 1. With DVC discount it was just $51.00 for the both of us. By the way, I'm 56 and my wife is 58, no kids and we are both excited about doing this. We are both retired but still enjoy acting like little kids whether we are at home or at WDW. I'm sure we will enjoy it.
Yep! Both of my daughters are adults and we just booked for July. It's the thing they are looking forward to the most.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
$30 to get within 100 feet of elephants? My inner cynic says that $25 is the entrance fee of my local zoo where I get to within 10 feet of elephants for as long as I want, but ok. For Disney this sounds not overtly outrageous (which is as good of a compliment as modern WDW is likely to receive). If it's a bit similar to Behind the Seeds I might have to check it out one day.

Just because the cynicism is strong in this one: a viewing platform with an African cultural representative explaining what you see and relating stories about Disney and back home is exactly what you get at the Animal Kingdom Lodge viewing areas, for free.
They sold the elephants at my local zoo. Seriously, they are gone. I love the fact that I can see elephants at DAK. It's probably worth $30 to get more up-close for me, but I can understand others not wanting to pay. Plenty of other things to do that are included in admission at DAK.

The Empress Lilly

They sold the elephants at my local zoo. Seriously, they are gone. I love the fact that I can see elephants at DAK. It's probably worth $30 to get more up-close for me, but I can understand others not wanting to pay. Plenty of other things to do that are included in admission at DAK.
I held annual passes to no less than four zoos last year. Five if you include Nahtazu / Anupchaargezu. What can I say? I love zoos. :)
Two don't have elephants, two have Asian elephants. Which are smaller, and can be acquired domesticated / broken so they are easier to keep.

African elephants are exceedingly rare in a zoo. I found one zoo 800 kilometers from where I live, where I went to see them. They are simply too large, too social (they need a large group), too difficult to keep (males for breeding especially, which need to be kept separately), and in need of too large a territory. Even DAK is about the bare minimum they need to not qualify as animal abuse.

So anyway, to cut a long story that is not going anywhere short, time allowing this is exactly the kind of tour I would sign up for. Although personal preference does not colour my judgment about WDW upcharging policy, overpricing, and a Safari decline by degrees.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I held annual passes to no less than four zoos last year. Five if you include Nahtazu / Anupchaargezu. What can I say? I love zoos. :)
Two don't have elephants, two have Asian elephants. Which are smaller, and can be acquired domesticated / broken so they are easier to keep.

African elephants are exceedingly rare in a zoo. I found one zoo 800 kilometers from where I live, where I went to see them. They are simply too large, too social (they need a large group), too difficult to keep (males for breeding especially, which need to be kept separately), and in need of too large a territory. Even DAK is about the bare minimum they need to not qualify as animal abuse.

So anyway, to cut a long story that is not going anywhere short, time allowing this is exactly the kind of tour I would sign up for. Although personal preference does not colour my judgment about WDW upcharging policy, overpricing, and a Safari decline by degrees.
I was pretty upset when the Philly zoo sold their elephants about a decade ago. I understood that they didn't have the space to build a proper exhibit space and elephants are pricey to maintain, but they are pretty cool animals and they were gone before my kids even saw them. Every time we ride the Safari they are a highlight for me now since we can't see them at home now. I know $30 seems excessive to some for a closer look but it's probably worth it to me. The only upcharge event I've ever done was Mickeys Christmas Party one time but this might be my second on my next trip. Depends on how much time I have with the new stuff at AK this year.

JohnD

This new 'pay-for-adventure' offering seems a bit pointless since you don't actually get to interact with the elephants...but that is understandable if one knows the restrictions in place regarding such.

When i started reading the official blurb describing the experience, i just assumed it also included some sort of short interaction...perhaps feeding them.
But no....it is just observing them from afar, which is pretty much what you can do on your own in the Park for 'free'.

Perhaps Disney is hoping there will be other people who will read or hear about this and assume it involves something more along the lines of some type of elephant interactions.
That would get quite a few to pay the 'reasonable' price and expect to be getting something much more then just a viewing spot.

I see this offering as something that might mis-lead Guests into thinking more is involved.

-

If you think about the flak Ringling got for just having an elephant act and realize their circus is now over, not interacting with the elephants is understandable.

KevinYee

Two quick comments relating to things earlier in the thread:

1. The sunset lights at the Savannah are actually one of the things you see from the backstage side while driving out to the elephants. I enjoyed seeing that.

2. These jokes about restrooms and poop were actually related to what we joked about on our way to the experience. We weren't told any details and kind of wondered if the tour (which we didn't have to pay for, but others would in the future) would actually be showing us the habitation stalls and having us shovel elephant dung. We laugh, but there will someday be such a tour, right?

Disney Analyst

I actually think this is wonderful. The Elephants are always my favorite part, and I feel like you can barely see them from the actual ride. I'd do this for $30 for sure.

radiorae

Thinking more on it, I think my only concern is that they will coax the animals to go behind the baobob tree with food... which is good for those paying $30, cause they get a great view. Bad for normal Safari guests because you can't see anything behind that tree. And if all the elephants learn to hang out back there, then normal guests will get virtually no elephant views. I know there's the smaller viewing area before the bridge (right after the mandrills), but that's far off where it's hard to get a picture, and is almost always a lone bull elephant. Not quite as exciting as seeing the herd in the second viewing area, especially with the baby running around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom