News New Caribbean Beach Resort table service restaurant announced - Sebastian's Bistro

Biff215

Does Ariel's at Beach Club count?
Nah
I remember back in the 90s when Ariels was a high end seafood and steak restaurant...it was very nice...not sure why the closed it.
Probably so they can pack them in at Yachtsman and Cape May. Plus with Boardwalk and Epcot so close the demand likely isn’t there unfortunately.

I have no problem with a character tie-in if the food is good.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But. There’s always been a TS there. It’s just replacing Shutters.
True, but going from generic to specific IP in a better location. This is, I'm sure, just another step in moving CBR out of the old Value, Moderate, Deluxe paradigm into the new "It's On Property So We Can Charge What We Want" paradigm. It joins the Skyliner as a harbinger of moderate pricing doom.

Kman101

Sad we need character tie ins. People need to realize the character/IP mandate as to why this is an annoyance. They truly think they need to do this. Shame. But when people defend all their decisions this is what we get. To me it’s a dumbing down of sorts.

Notes from Neverland

It's interesting there's a character tie-in here, yet at many of the resorts with updated rooms, there's so much distancing from any kind of character or Disney tie-in. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

LSLS

It seems like they want to push the moderates well above the $200/night price point which just isn't worth it to me. We'll see after all the construction is done and availability goes back to normal.

That happened a few years ago. It is insanely difficult to get them that cheap.

So, I don't think this changes anything on room rates personally (we knew they would keep going up, and as has been pointed out, it's not new to the resort). I wish there was more subtly to it. I would really like the name if the logo didn't include Sebastian in it. Probably just a handful of us that would like that though. We will see, but judging on how moderate sit downs have been, I'm not holding out much hope for it being anything above average (hope I'm wrong though).

SteamboatJoe

The design looks too modern. Not enough detail maybe? It's impossible to tell from the concept art but it looks like a reskinned Flying Fish.

Completely agree. That does not look like the type of restaurant one would take kids into. And what's the story here? You are eating at some restaurant in a Carribean Resort owned by Sebastian that only the 1% can afford? Give me a well themed, immersive resort restaurant with a story like Boatrwrights over this any day.

The fact that Sebastian is feeding you his own is about as sick as buying Bing Bong's tears at DCA.

I am actually surprised the Carribean Resort project did not incorporate more PotC. Little Mermaid has an entire section of a resort already.

Mickey5150

There are so many restaurants that use a cartoon animal as a mascot and logo. This is normal. If you already own the rights to thousands of cartoon animals why would you not use it? Seriously can people stop hating on Disney for using it's property for it's properties. And now we will hear about the original EPCOT.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Completely agree. That does not look like the type of restaurant one would take kids into. And what's the story here? You are eating at some restaurant in a Carribean Resort owned by Sebastian that only the 1% can afford? Give me a well themed, immersive resort restaurant with a story like Boatrwrights over this any day.

The fact that Sebastian is feeding you his own is about as sick as buying Bing Bong's tears at DCA.

I am actually surprised the Carribean Resort project did not incorporate more PotC. Little Mermaid has an entire section of a resort already.

The more cartoonish they go...the less the huge price increase coming looks appropriate. They need $500 a night from those rooms...the paupers can stay $350 at POP and AoA

Bocabear

Ugh...yes...now that you bring it up I’ll never be able to get that analogy out of my head.

Luckily I haven’t set foot in Caribbean in 15 years 😜
Actually the Bahama Breeze closest to Disney Springs I would argue is MUCH better themed than any of the moderate hotel restaurants on property, and most of the premium ones... full water features, boulders and bridges, lots of palms and interior plant scaping... It is a much more interesting and engaging atmosphere than what Disney is doing with this... And Bahama Breeze is not a high end restaurant...but moderate like this Resort...
Disney can do better... they just don't want to anymore.

SteamboatJoe

The more cartoonish they go...the less the huge price increase coming looks appropriate. They need $500 a night from those rooms...the paupers can stay $350 at POP and AoA

Unfortunately, this makes sense. Sad when a family with a respectable household income are paupers in the current Disney business model.

baymenxpac

There are so many restaurants that use a cartoon animal as a mascot and logo. This is normal. If you already own the rights to thousands of cartoon animals why would you not use it? Seriously can people stop hating on Disney for using it's property for it's properties. And now we will hear about the original EPCOT.

not that i think you expect an answer to your rhetorical question, but why they haven't always done it is that the resorts are very intentionally designed to be a meticulously themed oasis from the parks that transport you to a certain time period and geographical locale. so incorporating characters can cheapen that experience. you said it yourself: "there are so many restaurants that use a cartoon animal as mascot and logo." the idea was the disney was a cut above those other establishments *because of* their variety and attention to the tiniest detail.

but SHRUG whatever.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Unfortunately, this makes sense. Sad when a **** family with a respectable household income are paupers in the current Disney business model.

Disney parks were built to provide entertainment and brand recognition to the middle class. Period. Anyone that says anything else otherwise is a revisionist.

But you’ll find many on boards who say it’s all the grand design of Saint Reagan and the free market...when in reality its a flat footed bob iger and board exploiting one of their biggests assets beyond the safe levels to make up for changing technology and decline in others under the crush of Wall street’s daily gain mentality.

I hope a moratorium is never written on the quality of Disney parks...but it’s possible. Realism.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually the Bahama Breeze closest to Disney Springs I would argue is MUCH better themed than any of the moderate hotel restaurants on property, and most of the premium ones... full water features, boulders and bridges, lots of palms and interior plant scaping... It is a much more interesting and engaging atmosphere than what Disney is doing with this... And Bahama Breeze is not a high end restaurant...but moderate like this Resort...
Disney can do better... they just don't want to anymore.

I assume you’re talking little lake Bryan...I do like that one

SteamboatJoe

not that i think you expect an answer to your rhetorical question, but why they haven't always done it is that the resorts are very intentionally designed to be a meticulously themed oasis from the parks that transport you to a certain time period and geographical locale. so incorporating characters can cheapen that experience. you said it yourself: "there are so many restaurants that use a cartoon animal as mascot and logo." the idea was the disney was a cut above those other establishments *because of* their variety and attention to the tiniest detail.

but SHRUG whatever.

Bingo.

Heck, I don't even mind them tastefully incorporating characters to some degree but this just seems lazy and is using an IP already heavily feautured at another resort.

Kman101

It's interesting there's a character tie-in here, yet at many of the resorts with updated rooms, there's so much distancing from any kind of character or Disney tie-in. Seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

:joyfull:

But isn't that the truth?

I don't really care about this, per say, actually, it's something I shouldn't even be bothered by, but it just speaks to them thinking we're all dumb and need characters. I can see right through why they did this.

Bingo.

Heck, I don't even mind them tastefully incorporating characters to some degree but this just seems lazy and is using an IP already heavily feautured at another resort.

THIS! I usually don't mind, I SHOULDN'T mind, but this is just lazy. We can all see right through this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yes...but there is a grand total of one in a Disney hotel...

Chef Mickey’s. All others were designed theme consistent with the backstory of the hotel and they put fuzzy five footers in later.

This one is a little pushing it.

Correction...they had one at port Orleans too...but they closed it 17 years ago and now charge you triple for the rooms.

Enjoy the magic

And the reason why people “hate on disney” is because the quality/approach has slowly declined for years while they charge at will and now are looking to upsell all the margins..

You make that possible by not standing up for yourself. That hurts everyone.

So they haven’t added much since the 80’s to magic kingdom? And it’s packed everyday with computer prebooked ride times? And you can’t get anything done?
NO PROBLEM!

...we’ll close ‘er down at 9 and sell you an “exclusive” ticket for $120 bucks to ride Peter Pan.

Memories that last a lifetime.

...please, try to do better with the reality before you tell people to shut up?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom