New Canada Ride

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Just read Jim Hill's latest update in which he addresses the fact that the WDI's are concerned about the growing presence of the enormous 'Soarin' building on the WSC's Candian mountain backdrop!

But instead of adding just a whole new range of faux ridges and peaks it seems they could be looking to add some kind of whole new mountain containing a river rapids ride, something similar to DCA's Grizzly ride.

Nothing is set in stone of course, could be shelved anytime but looks promising!

Anyone else care to comment?

pppapazo

Originally posted by DieHardDisney
Just read Jim Hill's latest update in which he addresses the fact that the WDI's are concerned about the growing presence of the enormous 'Soarin' building on the WSC's Candian mountain backdrop!

But instead of adding just a whole new range of faux ridges and peaks it seems they could be looking to add some kind of whole new mountain containing a river rapids ride, something similar to DCA's Grizzly ride.

Nothing is set in stone of course, could be shelved anytime but looks promising!

Anyone else care to comment?

First of all, I'm still pretty dumbfounded by WDI's apparent inability to anticipate how visible Soarin' would be from the World Showcase. Poor planning on their part.

Regarding the proposed Canadian Rapids Ride, I must be in the minority because I think the idea is terrible. As evidenced by Kali and Grizzly, WDI has twice failed to revolutionize the Rapids ride in the same way that Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror revolutionized their respective genres.

I also don't think that Brother Bear, which was barely a blip on the cultural radar screen, deserves its own attraction before classics like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin get their due. Sure, they might be tossing it around as a possible theme, but even if we see such a ride, I don't expect the Brother Bear overlay.

Peter

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Re: Re: New Canada Ride

Originally posted by pppapazo
First of all, I'm still pretty dumbfounded by WDI's apparent inability to anticipate how visible Soarin' would be from the World Showcase. Poor planning on their part.

I have to agree strongly with you on this pppapazo this was extremely poor planning, they knew that Florida has a high water table so they couldn't dig 30 foot down like DCA and they obviously knew approximately how big a size building they would be looking at!

Regarding the proposed Canadian Rapids Ride, I must be in the minority because I think the idea is terrible. As evidenced by Kali and Grizzly, WDI has twice failed to revolutionize the Rapids ride in the same way that Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror revolutionized their respective genres.Peter [/B]

Although I don't think its a terrible idea, I do believe it needs alot more planning and tweaking before anything is setb in stone. Another factor is would a second rapids ride on WDW property be sensible? If done properly and with proper care and Disney do make a good job of this attraction isn't that gonna render KRR useless so to speak?

I also don't think that Brother Bear, which was barely a blip on the cultural radar screen, deserves its own attraction before classics like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin get their due. Sure, they might be tossing it around as a possible theme, but even if we see such a ride, I don't expect the Brother Bear overlay.Peter

Finally I agree with you about how Brother Bear is a bad theme, although I'm not sure right now what else they could use but I am attament something should replace that idea!

:sohappy:Regarding the proposed Canadian Rapids Ride, I must be in the minority because I think the idea is terrible. As evidenced by Kali and Grizzly, WDI has twice failed to revolutionize the Rapids ride in the same way that Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror revolutionized their respective genres.Peter

Shaman

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37321

Originally posted by General Grizz
Canada – Soarin’ over California is being constructed directly behind Canada and the Imagination pavilion. Tentative plans call for a new Water Rapids ride to be built as part of the Canadian pavilion, next to the space which will be empty after Soarin’ is finished. This ride may be themed to Brother Bear, and could possibly involve a coaster track.

I just hope it isn't a plain old river rapids attraction...I am real curious about this rumor since it has been mentioned by others that it may involve a coaster track....

And regarding whether it will be themed to Brother Bear...who knows...I don't think so though....perhaps a meet and greet nearby....:lookaroun

:animwink:

Moustronaut

Hmmm maybe they'll put in a dark water ride like Mexico's got. I can just hear the Canada Boat ride theme song in my head now...

"It's a land of snow, it's a land of cold,
these small world clones are getting old..."

:lol:

netenyahoo

If they can make it a great new water ride with some new concepts and theme it well then I would gladly take it. Any ride is better than just some faux covering. I don't think they should theme it directly as Brother Bear, but could have bears and other animals on it and then have a Brother Bear Meet and Greet area nearby and Brother Bear merchandise.

So far it sounds like a horrible idea to me. When I first heard about it I was excited, and then I read some of the details and became rather discusted. First of all, NO river rapids ride. You can only have so many of those, and the ones they have aren't exactly top notch from what I hear. And why the disney company seems to be captivated by river rapids rides I'll never know. And a brother bear theme, oh brother!! Are you telling me that the history and culture of canada are so boring that you need disney characters to add excitement (not that BB is a good choice anyway). And hasn't the mountain thing been over done by this point, I mean I'm not sure of other options, but I hope they don't rush into this. Why not a canadian themed water coaster, pretty much the only ride tech they haven't used yet. And lets keep disney characters out of epcot please, besides figment.

Al

IMO The rapids at DCA are good and if Epcot got something similar to this then it would be great. I think that the idea of themeing it in with Brother Bear is not such a good one though.

ToTBellHop

Popularity of a film is hardly a good judge of what the ride can be. Sleeping Beauty was not popular when it came out, and they made a castle out of it (which opened before the movie came out, but that's neither here nor there) and the kewlest scene in Fantasmic! spawns from it. Song of the South is only even HEARD of by a select few individuals, as it is not available the US, so very few people have even seen the movie, especially kids (I have never had the opportunity to see it), so I don't really see Song of the South as a blockbuster hit, but it made an incredible attraction. Given the money, Imagineers can do a lot with this. The problem at DCA was that they were building multiple E-Rides at DCA at the same time, and were building the mountain to boot, so didn't invest more money in better theming. Kali River Rapids has the best theming in the queue that I have ever seen, and the theming along the very short river is also very well done. It seems to me that they just started with a pretty bad theme, which was the problem. It's okay to have a background lesson regarding logging, but to base an entire ride's story on that was never going to yield anything jaw-dropping. They ended up with one of the funnest (not sure that is a word) raft rides ever made (I think it is wildly fun, though very short). Its changes were made very late in the game, as through much of the construction, it was still termed Tiger Rapids Run. When it became apparent that the tigers would not be effective for a raft ride (you would barely see them even when they were awake), it was far too late to have animatronic tigers that were even remotely believable. So, WDI had to scrap together a story very quickly, giving us the very fragmented ride today, where the queue is elaborately themed, then there is one show scene hastily put together (though it is well done), and chain saw sound effects in the queue that are supposed to pull the ride together. The idea behind this ride was awesome and it would have been breathtaking had it worked, but last minute changes created Kali River Rapids in the rush to get this ride open after initial views of Animal Kingdom were just "okay" (with its two rides). If they were to start out this new ride with a much better ride concept, which I think they have, and enough funding to carry it out (if Canada is willing to help with funding, that would be no problem), they could get an awesome attraction. Several areas of Grizzly River Run feature relatively slow-moving water, very conducive to show scenes. The ride, itself, is extremely fun and quite long. It would be a hit with more story, and Epcot is long overdue for a water ride where you actually get wet. Grizzly River Run is drier than Kali River Rapids, by the way. I got roughly as wet as I get on Splash Mountain.

I think it's a really nice looking ride
Grizzly River Run overall

Lift Hill

Grizzly at Night

Sherm00

I know I am in the minority, I think this is AWESOME, I don't know about brother bear but if it is I don't think it would be bad. I would like to see a rapids dark ride myself, kinda like mexico where it takes you in (seemingly nice and slow) there would be some canadian moose, and bear, the you would here some canadian music and and then you hear about how prestine watterfalles they have as your raft gets faster and faster, then over the falls (a really small falls ala pirates) then into really fast rapids, all inside, and on the wals project backdrops of canadian landscapes and give it motion blur to make it seem like your moveing a heck of a lot faster then you actually are and to make you feel you are outside in canada even though you are inside, then at the end of the ride the waters calm down and motion blur goes away as you enter a cave more animatronics about canida and the end of the ride.

Kwit35

I think any addition would be better then nothing at all. I would welcome any water/dark ride. I think it would be fun to see the lumberjacks, hard at work while you are waiting in line. The logs you ride in are the trees that just fell to "timber!". Riding the logs through the mountain streams, looking at the snow (yes, snow-lots and lots of snow), mounties on horseback...Then down into the valleys and the beautiful french looking cities. Then into modern day, industrial looking buildings...(like you see with the oil rigs in Maelstrom)...
Anyway, just a thought. But that side of world showcase needs something.

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
I think people are comparing what this attraction (if it does proceed) will finish like too much against Grizzly in DCA. It could be a completely different ride altogether.

I must say though that I have always thought the landscaping and themeing on Grizzly was top notch, its fantastic!

SirGoofy

I agree with You 100% ISTCNavigator57. Kali is a great ride even though it is very short. In fact it is the second best rapids ride I've ever been on.Unfortunately, Pop-eye at IOA blows it out out of the water(pun intended).

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
In a celebration of French Canadian culture all signs in English will be destroyed, only those who pass a test in political correctness will be able to ride, except those from Scotland, who because of Canada’s desire to increase the ethnic diversity of riders will be permanently banned from the attraction.

The new improved movie will show why Canada’s image as Mounties mountains and Moosehead beer is nothing more than stereotyping by her neighbours who secretly harbour desire on her yet untapped tundra oil reserves, and the ability to day ok ehhy.

DieHardDisney

Original Poster
Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
In a celebration of French Canadian culture all signs in English will be destroyed, only those who pass a test in political correctness will be able to ride, except those from Scotland, who because of Canada’s desire to increase the ethnic diversity of riders will be permanently banned from the attraction.

The new improved movie will show why Canada’s image as Mounties mountains and Moosehead beer is nothing more than stereotyping by her neighbours who secretly harbour desire on her yet untapped tundra oil reserves, and the ability to day ok ehhy.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir Hiss527

This sounds like a lie rumor to me..it doesn't seem possible to me. Canada at EPCOT?? Doesn't even seem likely to work. Your thoughts?

MKCP 1985

Re: Re: New Canada Ride

I also don't think that Brother Bear, which was barely a blip on the cultural radar screen, deserves its own attraction before classics like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Aladdin get their due. Sure, they might be tossing it around as a possible theme, but even if we see such a ride, I don't expect the Brother Bear overlay.

Peter

Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast each have their own attractions at Disney MGM Studios. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin are in action at the Magic Kingdom.

Just pointing that out . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom