New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

BrianV

All I've seen is you like the idea of getting a return time vs waiting.

Yet you have failed to acknowledge the return time is only available at a time you wouldn't have been there to start with. You also fail to acknowledge that your return time may result in a longer delay vs just waiting.

You demonstrate what would be labeled as 'selective hearing'. You pick and chose what you want to want to face. You can be happy as you want in your bubble - but your happiness does not invalidate the concerns raised by others. So no, you haven't countered any of the concerns, just said "I don't care - it works for me" and then can't understand why people aren't falling in line with your belief.

People aren't falling in line with you because you've not presented any defendable point except you think a virtual line is better than waiting in line.

And what about in the future when the return tickets become even harder to get? The more the common guests understand this is the only way to get BoG lunch... more people will get there earlier, and be willing to line up to get them. And since the system lacks any distribution to spread out availability, the system will converge at the point the only way to get in will be there to queue up before they start handing out tickets.

I'll do it again. For the last time, hopefully. You have selective reading so you don't read what I write. You are the one who says "na na na I can't hear..." No one else here is doing that, even those with whom I disagree. It is just you! Cdavid for example disagrees with me. But he made decent points. And I think conceded (maybe) that the new system is better for people like me. Maybe I read too much into what he wrote. After all, I have selective hearing! ;)

I and many many others won't wait in a long line for bog. We are unable to dine there due to this, under the old system...granted by choice. Some people who would like to eat there do not under the old system. This is a fact.

Under the new system, we can attempt to get return passes and eat there. If we get them, we can dine there. If we don't, we are no worse than before. This is a fact.

Concerns raised by others are real. For those who liked waiting in line to dine there and saw no problem in it, this is a big problem. For those who never ate there due to the long line, this represents an opportunity.

We disagree. You can call me names now, say I made no good arguments, etc, etc. I'm begging you to try to see my point of view, but I doubt you will even consider what I wrote and start into a new diatribe instead.

BrianV

All I've seen is you like the idea of getting a return time vs waiting.

Yet you have failed to acknowledge the return time is only available at a time you wouldn't have been there to start with. You also fail to acknowledge that your return time may result in a longer delay vs just waiting.

You demonstrate what would be labeled as 'selective hearing'. You pick and chose what you want to want to face. You can be happy as you want in your bubble - but your happiness does not invalidate the concerns raised by others. So no, you haven't countered any of the concerns, just said "I don't care - it works for me" and then can't understand why people aren't falling in line with your belief.

People aren't falling in line with you because you've not presented any defendable point except you think a virtual line is better than waiting in line.

And what about in the future when the return tickets become even harder to get? The more the common guests understand this is the only way to get BoG lunch... more people will get there earlier, and be willing to line up to get them. And since the system lacks any distribution to spread out availability, the system will converge at the point the only way to get in will be there to queue up before they start handing out tickets.

Anyway, this is way too trivial an issue for us to be bickering over. Can we please just agree to disagree and call it? Sorry I lost my cool in a few places. Good night.

natatomic

There's plenty of examples of how it's pretty much always been that way.

If you didn't understand the FP system, then you were not going to have time for some attractions.
If you don't know to make an ADR 120 days in advance, then you are not going to eat at some restaurants.
If you don't know that need to schedule more than one day to see all of MK, you miss out.
etc

Except the WDW website explains those things, or at least mentions your ability to utilize those options, so if you are brand new guest Joe Schmoe, you do what you THINK is enough research through the company's own person website to have a happy, successful vacation.
But the website, to my knowledge, does not explain this test (or is it officially a new procedure yet?) therefore you will now be left out due to Disney failing to even hint at this bizarre, convoluted procedure. You could argue that he should have done more research on google so he could find out more detailed info from sites like this, but you're not trying to pass the bar exam - you're trying to take a vacation! It shouldn't require weeks of studying and researching and comparing info from different websites! At least when it comes to at least have a freaking opportunity at a quick serve restaurant.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Putting aside the discussion of the line procedure... There is no question that BOG is very popular. I wonder if it is the food or the setting or a combination of both. For me, it's the food. If they had that same food at a different location(maybe the terrace that is hardly used) I would happily get my food there to ease up some of the congestion at BOG. Is there anyone else who would do the same or is it just about being in Beast's castle? I think that people are just starved for better counter service food at MK. After all would it really be this popular all the time if all of the food reviews were just horrible? Just some food for thought. ;)

roj2323

Putting aside the discussion of the line procedure... There is no question that BOG is very popular. I wonder if it is the food or the setting or a combination of both. For me, it's the food. If they had that same food at a different location(maybe the terrace that is hardly used) I would happily get my food there to ease up some of the congestion at BOG. Is there anyone else who would do the same or is it just about being in Beast's castle? I think that people are just starved for better counter service food at MK. After all would it really be this popular all the time if all of the food reviews were just horrible? Just some food for thought. ;)

You are definitely not alone. I love the setting but the food is the real reason I go. Specifically the braised pork.

Sped2424

For those that don't see an issue with this system, it's like going up to your local restaurant and asking for a wait time. The host/hostess shrugs at you and says "We are at capacity please try again later". You can't wait in any line to get in, there is no wait time being given and you just want a damn sandwich with some fries. When you ask how you can eat there you hear "Had you been here at 10:30 this morning you could have snagged a seat for lunch but the seats run out after 30 minutes, try coming back again around 2:30 about 30 minutes before we close. We may or may not be open again". Does anyone see the absurdness that is the statement I just gave above? Any chain restaurant could NEVER get away with this kind of slap in the face customer service. We shouldn't let disney do it either. I just want my damn turkey sandwhich and I don't think I need to jump through 40 loops just to get it.

jaklgreen

For those that don't see an issue with this system, it's like going up to your local restaurant and asking for a wait time. The host/hostess shrugs at you and says "We are at capacity please try again later". You can't wait in any line to get in, there is no wait time being given and you just want a **** sandwich with some fries. When you ask how you can eat there you hear "Had you been here at 10:30 this morning you could have snagged a seat for lunch but the seats run out after 30 minutes, try coming back again around 2:30 about 30 minutes before we close. We may or may not be open again". Does anyone see the absurdness that is the statement I just gave above? Any chain restaurant could NEVER get away with this kind of slap in the face customer service. We shouldn't let disney do it either. I just want my **** turkey sandwhich and I don't think I need to jump through 40 loops just to get it.

Well I really see it as no different then making a reservation. If they open up the "reservation" at 10am a person needs to get there when it opens since it is so popular. Once all of the spot are gone then they are gone. There are several very popular restaurants that open up their reservations so many days out and if you are not quick you don't get in. The only difference is you have to go in person instead of over the phone. It is a basic reservation type system.

stevehousse

Well I really see it as no different then making a reservation. If they open up the "reservation" at 10am a person needs to get there when it opens since it is so popular. Once all of the spot are gone then they are gone. There are several very popular restaurants that open up their reservations so many days out and if you are not quick you don't get in. The only difference is you have to go in person instead of over the phone. It is a basic reservation type system.
But a fast food restaurant shouldn't have to have any type of reservation system. They shouldn't even offer it as FP+ either. If they want it to be ADR all day, then just make it ADR all day, or just stand by all day for lunch with no FP. This would solve the problem.

Furiated

Got a FP for BOG lunch during an upcoming Port Orleans Riverside weekend. There was only one slot available on the day we check in. Snagged it, but wish it was earlier in the day. Anybody had any luck keeping the day, but changing the time?

Yes I had the same issue back in May. I saw other people on here mention that if you get to the screen showing your time choices and refresh or reload the page, it will offer different times. I kept doing that until I got the time slot I wanted.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Which is absolutely stupid. They have a system set up, they have an app. Why not, if you absolutely must do this for BOG, scan a Magic band and then it will automatically show up on the app that you have a reserved lunch seating at said time and then send a push notification 15-20 minutes out from your seating. I just don't see why something like that isn't currently being done.

In general, why cannot Disney send push notifications for everything? FP+, ADRs? To be able to do anything - make resort reservations, buy park tickets, make FP+ & ADRs, etc., you need an MDE account, so Disney has your e-mail address on file. How many e-mails do we get from Disney before our trip starts? Wouldn't it be nice to get a notification about your next FP+ about 20 minutes before the time? You get an e-mail reminder 1-2 days before the day for ADRs, but how about a reminder say 2-3 hours before? "Hey, dude, it's 4:00PM and you've got a 7:00PM ADR at Tony's, so get it in gear. Oh, and be at the resort bus stop at least 90 minutes before your reservation time, unless you are already in the MK. Enjoy!" Would save me from putting our FP+ & ADRs in my calendar since the app is spotty, even in the parks. Just as Disney needs a box to check "sorry, I already have 20 magic bands and don't need one for this trip [unless you've finally made one in purple]" when you make a resort reservation, there needs to be a check box for reminder notifications for FP+ and ADRs.

natatomic

Okay, this might just be me, but is it bothering anyone else that those who point blank refuse to wait for X amount of time (by choice!) are the ones being catered to by this system? If I want to do something badly enough, I put on my big girl panties and wait my turn like everyone else. I don't expect people to alter the system so that it opens up a spot for me (me, who is unwilling - not unable - to wait the given time) and in turn absolutely prohibits someone who potentially wanted it more and was willing to "do their time" in line from experiencing the restaurant because my super special snowflake self was too delicate and couldn't be bothered to do something as prosaic as stand in a d*** line that is determined by the number of people willing to wait appropriately?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What I dont understand is why dont they just make it ADR only? The return card system is essentially a 'day of' ADR. There are too many variables in this 'day of' system that can cause tables to be empty such as people not returning to use the time slot, parties of 2 being turned away, and its gotta be difficult to time how quickly people dine and leave versus how often to space the return times. Are the return times for an exact time or is it a window of 1 hour? As others have said, the standby line is self regulating and eliminates any of the variables that could arise causing tables to go empty which equals loss of profit. This makes me wonder about what @stevehousse mentioned as far Disneys hands being tied in some way. It doesnt make sense that they use a system that is so hazardous to profits. Thats definitely not the Disney "of today" way.

Look at other extremely popular spots like O'hana or Le Cellier. Constantly full and pretty much only available through ADR. Ya, sure you can try and walk up but good luck. If the new system is in any way beneficial to guests and/or Disney why arent we seeing it utilized elsewhere?

Last edited:

Sped2424

Except certain people are just given reservations, while others can't make them for lunch. Also even restaurants with reservations have standby times. BOG doesn't. To my knowledge non resort guests can't make a lunch reservation even If I am wrong about that it doesn't matter. Because there should always be a standby line.

Last edited:

mm52200

Original Poster
Once again the crazy concept is that this is still a quick/counter service lunch that we're having to make reservations for. The thing making this a problem is the insane number of stupid FPs they've added. Why don't they god forbid, just remove FP and let everyone wait in line, maybe add a nicely themed awning, add a few registers or CMs taking orders with iPads, and I think everything would work out rather nicely. Yes some people might have to actually wait in a line, but that just comes with the territory.

jaklgreen

But a fast food restaurant shouldn't have to have any type of reservation system. They shouldn't even offer it as FP+ either. If they want it to be ADR all day, then just make it ADR all day, or just stand by all day for lunch with no FP. This would solve the problem.

I think they were just trying to keep people from having to stand in the hot sun for that long. Plus people streaming out over the bridge was blocking the path. I still have no problem with it. I would not have a problem with them making it an ADR restaurant either. I still think if they offered the same food at a different restaurant that would ease the problem a bit.

jaklgreen

Once again the crazy concept is that this is still a quick/counter service lunch that we're having to make reservations for. The thing making this a problem is the insane number of stupid FPs they've added. Why don't they god forbid, just remove FP and let everyone wait in line, maybe add a nicely themed awning, add a few registers or CMs taking orders with iPads, and I think everything would work out rather nicely. Yes some people might have to actually wait in a line, but that just comes with the territory.

I like the idea of cast members going out in the line and taking orders. Then by the time you get in the food would be ready. Much faster turnover. It is such an easy menu anyway that most of the work is prep and keep hot.

CDavid

I still think if they offered the same food at a different restaurant that would ease the problem a bit.

There is probably some potential to this suggestion. What is needed is another quick-service restaurant to take some of the pressure off Be Our Guest (BOG); To draw the crowds in it doesn't have to be themed as well as BOG (though that idea would work), and a more elaborate, quality fast-food menu would be appealing to many guests. Other facilities do not have to draw BOG level crowds to ease the capacity crunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom