New Awful Security Screening Process

TrojanUSC

Original Poster
Agree to disagree. Everyone has their own tolerance for what is acceptable to wait, and at this point I've come to terms with security checkpoints being just one place where a wait is currently necessary. Also while I do have a Key, I'm not local as I don't just pop down every day or even every weekend. I go a could times a year and just accept what has occurred, as I said before its something I've even experienced at other venues just as NFL games.

Have you used the new scanners though? They are looking for larger metal objects (knives, guns, etc) and thats what gets flagged. Stuff that poses a safety risk. Nobody is rifling through your retainer case or wallet and whatever is in there is almost certainly small enough to not set the scanner off.

What exactly do you think someone is gonna have in their retainer case that warrants making thousands of people wait an extra 30 minutes?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Have you used the new scanners though? They are looking for larger metal objects (knives, guns, etc) and thats what gets flagged. Stuff that poses a safety risk. Nobody is rifling through your retainer case or wallet and whatever is in there is almost certainly small enough to not set the scanner off.

What exactly do you think someone is gonna have in their retainer case that warrants making thousands of people wait an extra 30 minutes?
Yes I've used the new scanners at other venues. And I have seen people still being pulled aside and their stuff getting rifled through. So its not as non-invasive as you think.

I'm not going to continue to go into specific scenarios. You obviously think its a waste of time, I don't. So lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Bottom line this is Disneyland's current policy. If you think its a waste of time then go complain to Guest Services. I'm sure they will be very willing to listen to your complaints.

TP2000

Another post had shown (there was a pic) of a lady trying to bring a wine bottle in through her stroller.

Hmm... My Aunt Ingrid has been dead for several decades, so it couldn't have been her. I wonder who that was? 🤔

I'm a former federal agent. It's all theater. If there was contraband, this process would never find it ... and everyone, including Disney security upper management, knows it. This is entirely so that people feel safer because it looks like Disney is on top of things.

Exactly. I've said this many times in forums like this in the 24 years since 9/11, but the truth is...

If someone wants to create terror and do major harm to an American icon like Disneyland, they wouldn't try to smuggle in weaponry or materiel all at once via a stroller or a diaper bag. Instead, the evil foreign government or terrorist organization sponsoring them would have them get a job in the park as an entry-level CM after a 20 minute interview and cursory background check at TDA. And once in and working there, they'd spend a week or two smuggling in the materiel of terror gradually through the vastly inferior CM security screening process. And there's virtually no way to stop that.

If and when a terror attack comes to Disneyland, I'd bet two churros it will have come from within by a new entry-level CM with open and 24/7 access to the entire property, and not from a shady guy trying to hide stuff in a stroller on a Saturday morning.

I don't like to say that, but we're all adults here, and it's the truth. :(

Is there some kind of more inherent threat at DLR than there is at Universal or Epcot?

No, there isn't. It can, and perhaps will, happen anywhere. At any theme park. And it will have the same effect whether it's at Disneyland, or at Animal Kingdom or Epcot, or Universal Studios Hollywood, or at Six Flags New Jersey.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Hmm... My Aunt Ingrid has been dead for several decades, so it couldn't have been her. I wonder who that was? 🤔

Exactly. I've said this many times in forums like this in the 24 years since 9/11, but the truth is...

If someone wants to create terror and do major harm to an American icon like Disneyland, they wouldn't try to smuggle in weaponry or materiel all at once via a stroller or a diaper bag. Instead, the evil foreign government or terrorist organization sponsoring them would have them get a job in the park as an entry-level CM after a 20 minute interview and cursory background check at TDA. And once in and working there, they'd spend a week or two smuggling in the materiel of terror gradually through the vastly inferior CM security screening process. And there's virtually no way to stop that.

If and when a terror attack comes to Disneyland, I'd bet two churros it will have come from within by a new entry-level CM with open and 24/7 access to the entire property, and not from a shady guy trying to hide stuff in a stroller on a Saturday morning.

I don't like to say that, but we're all adults here, and it's the truth. :(

No, there isn't. It can, and perhaps will, happen anywhere. At any theme park. And it will have the same effect whether it's at Disneyland, or at Animal Kingdom or Epcot, or Universal Studios Hollywood, or at Six Flags New Jersey.
Well at least they are trying to keep weapons out so this doesn't happen:

iu

iu

Figments Friend

I have been here at Disneyland for the past few days, and I have yet to have encountered any of the foretold long lines and slow processes at the security check points.
Very smooth and quick for me…but I travel light.
No lines….it’s been just fine…even in the morning ‘arrival time’.

I enter through the public Downtown Disney checkpoint and it’s been deserted.

Perhaps this issue is on the Harbor Blvd. side?
I did see quite a crowd there when passing through the esplanade the other morning.

Yet another reason not to stay on Harbor Blvd …..

-

Mickey's Pal

TDA was testing the Evolv scanners (same ones used at WDW) last year I believe, so they are looking to have the scanners where you just keep walking without stopping. Its just a matter of implementing them, something I sure takes time and money, and likely part of their plans as they continue to upgrade all their security checkpoints.
They have money to build a Avatar land but not enough money put in modern scanners or build a proper securtity area?? Oooo kay.

Mickey's Pal

Who said they didn’t have enough money?
You did. "Its just a matter of implementing them, something I sure takes time and money" indicating currently they do not have the money or time for it. So again I ask- they have money for new land projects and boat rides but not to get modern scanners and install proper security check points that do not resemble a on the fly DUI check point? You would think security trumps making new lands and rides.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You did. "Its just a matter of implementing them, something I sure takes time and money" indicating currently they do not have the money or time for it. So again I ask- they have money for new land projects and boat rides but not to get modern scanners and install proper security check points that do not resemble a on the fly DUI check point? You would think security trumps making new lands and rides.
No one said they didn't have money, and I certainly did not. What I said was that it takes time and money, meaning they currently don't have it allocated to this project, not that they don't have the money at all. I also said in that same post they have been testing the new scanners recently, so they do have the intent and are ready it appears to allocate money to install them. But just like any business there are many reasons why things aren't done immediately but rather done on a timeline. Also as another poster said it appears there was push back from the security union, which had likely delayed the installation of the scanners, again not an indication that they don't have money.

Lastly, have you been to the new DTD checkpoint? They are spending money and upgrading them so they aren't the temporary tents you think look like a DUI checkpoint.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
It has taken them 24 years to try and modernize their security. I guess it is slightly higher priority than a revamped Tomorrowland. It still looks terrible.

Universal's security
iu

Hollywood Studios checkpoint
iu

Disneyland's checkpoint
iu

iu
You missed one:

1726948102595.png

I'm guessing on purpose to prove some point.

I can't account for 24 years, but at least the last 10 have been in flux. When they increased the security bubble back when the Eastern Gateway was supposed to originally happen, the plan was to get ALL of the security checkpoints out of the esplanade. They succeeded with the western one when DTD entered the bubble, and the eastern one was supposed to be moved to the other side of Harbor behind the hotels where they would have built a nicer and more permanent structure.

Of course that all went to hell when that project got stalled. Then there was the whole fourth hotel debacle that would have most likely shored up the checkpoints around the hotels.

Now enter DisneylandForward. The current unknown nature of how that will all turn out has caused the north DTD checkpoint (Between old ESPN & Rainforest) and the western DTD checkpoint next to the DLH to be in a state of unknown flux. You can't build anything too permanent as they could be torn down in 5-10 years.....but at least they made the DLH one a LITTLE bit nicer than before.

Once DLF and EGW become more of a reality, then they can build more permanent structures. I'm actually glad that they never tore up the esplanade in the earlier years of bag check to create structures so that they won't have anything to tear down or fix when they are finally gone.

TrainsOfDisney

I just went through harbor blvd. - lines weren’t any different than before. They do have a no-bags line now. Signs would make things go even faster since the new system is a bit different.

I didn’t see if they went through my wallet or not… it was all pretty quick. They are asking for all items to be taken out of pockets - regardless if they are metal or not. Not sure the reason of that but there it is haha.

Figments Friend

Yes. As far as I remember the complaints were always focused at the Harbor entrance. Between all of the hotels and the ART buses coming in, it's crazy how many people come in that way.

Makes sense.
Things are much better on the other end of the property.

Like I said earlier, another good reason to NOT stay on Harbor.
W. Katella for the win!!!
😎

-

DrAlice

Makes sense.
Things are much better on the other end of the property.

Like I said earlier, another good reason to NOT stay on Harbor.
W. Katella for the win!!!
😎

-
Yup. Harbor is where you find the madhouse.

We stayed on Katella for years because of this. However, you are trading one "evil" for another: while staying on Harbor is harder to get in during the am, it is SUPER easy to walk back to the hotel at night. Those fewer steps at the end of the day is what pushed the Harbor hotels ahead for us. But honestly, it's kind-of a wash.

Vegas Disney Fan

You missed one:

View attachment 817164

I'm guessing on purpose to prove some point.

I can't account for 24 years, but at least the last 10 have been in flux. When they increased the security bubble back when the Eastern Gateway was supposed to originally happen, the plan was to get ALL of the security checkpoints out of the esplanade. They succeeded with the western one when DTD entered the bubble, and the eastern one was supposed to be moved to the other side of Harbor behind the hotels where they would have built a nicer and more permanent structure.

Of course that all went to hell when that project got stalled. Then there was the whole fourth hotel debacle that would have most likely shored up the checkpoints around the hotels.

Now enter DisneylandForward. The current unknown nature of how that will all turn out has caused the north DTD checkpoint (Between old ESPN & Rainforest) and the western DTD checkpoint next to the DLH to be in a state of unknown flux. You can't build anything too permanent as they could be torn down in 5-10 years.....but at least they made the DLH one a LITTLE bit nicer than before.

Once DLF and EGW become more of a reality, then they can build more permanent structures. I'm actually glad that they never tore up the esplanade in the earlier years of bag check to create structures so that they won't have anything to tear down or fix when they are finally gone.
I love this new entrance (and the one at the parking garages) but the fact they built it with the old scanners and are still hand searching bags makes me think there’s no chance the new style scanners, like at WDW, are coming to DL anytime soon.

If DL was going to bring over the new technology the time to do it would have been when they built the new security areas from scratch, it wouldn’t make any sense to buy and install the old style scanners only to replace them shortly after.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I love this new entrance (and the one at the parking garages) but the fact they built it with the old scanners and are still hand searching bags makes me think there’s no chance the new style scanners, like at WDW, are coming to DL anytime soon.

If DL was going to bring over the new technology the time to do it would have been when they built the new security areas from scratch, it wouldn’t make any sense to buy and install the old style scanners only to replace them shortly after.
I honestly believe it will never happen, or at least not any time soon because AI/Automation replacing jobs is a hot topic, especially here in California.

Figments Friend

Yup. Harbor is where you find the madhouse.

We stayed on Katella for years because of this. However, you are trading one "evil" for another: while staying on Harbor is harder to get in during the am, it is SUPER easy to walk back to the hotel at night. Those fewer steps at the end of the day is what pushed the Harbor hotels ahead for us. But honestly, it's kind-of a wash.

I don’t mind the walk to W. Katella.
It is quite nice in the evening with the rows of palm trees and colored lighting.
Rather a peaceful way to end the day, and scenic.

Also have to say it is nice because at night time one does not have to deal with the …ahem….panhandlers, shifty sellers, questionable characters, and homeless folks laid out on the sidewalk.
The clutter of tourist shops and service areas along that strip is also a turn off for me…so I stay away.

But each their own.
Some visitors prefer the ‘closeness’.
I prefer arriving trough the back gate.
I just flash my Tony Baxter Fan Club card and I am in.
😉

Best thing about Harbor Blvd….?
MIMIS CAFE!

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom