New Awful Security Screening Process

CaptinEO

Being a single traveler, I have stayed at the Quality Inn on W. Katella Ave several times over the years.
Fits my needs like a glove.

Clean rooms, nice hotel staff, free real breakfast each morning ( more then just ‘bread and water’) and usually a decent price.
Also a small but charming flowered and tree lined courtyard area where the small pool is.
Very nice to sit out there and enjoy your breakfast or just w enjoy the landscaped view.

Best part of course is the location.
It is on W. Katella Ave so it keeps you close to the Parks but just far enough away to avoid the mayhem of Harbor Blvd and all of that congestion.
It is a very scenic 10 to 15 minute walk to the front turnstiles of the Parks.
Hotel is located directly across from the southern end of the DTD parking lot….soon to become a coveted spot is the Disneyland Forward plans pan out.

I recommend this place to everyone looking for a basic room with comfy beds and a hot shower , plus a good free breakfast.
Directly next door are other restaurants and the ART bus station stop…as well as the EVE service that runs service to SNA airport.

Katella is lined with beautiful palm trees and pretty lighting ambiance.
Beats the hectic and crowded atmosphere on Harbor by miles.

-
Huge thank you for the information and recommendation!

Sounds like a really good place to stay! Never stayed on Katella but next time we stay at the park this is where I'll go. Free breakfast is always a plus too.

I've stayed at DL Hotel and then Candy Cane Inn (on harbor). Candy Cane was small and clean but doubled their prices post covid so hasn't interested me anymore. We were considering Park Vue Inn, but Katella sounds more relaxing.

PiratesMansion

Huge thank you for the information and recommendation!

Sounds like a really good place to stay! Never stayed on Katella but next time we stay at the park this is where I'll go. Free breakfast is always a plus too.

I've stayed at DL Hotel and then Candy Cane Inn (on harbor). Candy Cane was small and clean but doubled their prices post covid so hasn't interested me anymore. We were considering Park Vue Inn, but Katella sounds more relaxing.
Have to say that my mother and I REALLY liked Park Vue when we stayed there in 2015. Location can't be beat, and even though there's only so much you can do with those older motel rooms, our room and beds were great.

I would 100% stay there again.

Vegas Disney Fan

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Park Place (right across from the entrance on Harbor) and it was fantastically convenient, also very well maintained, but I can’t justify $350 a night for what you get, we spend afternoons at our hotel so the pool, lounge, room, and other amenities are equally as important to us as the location, it’s nice but not $350 a night nice.

I think that’s one reason we prefer the hotels that aren’t on Harbor, the Harbor hotels tend to be older, most have been redone over the years but that can’t make up for the fact they were originally skinny motels with (generally speaking) small lobbies, small pools, outside hallways, etc. They are a great place to sleep if you’re spending your whole day at the park but if you take afternoon breaks there’s not much to do at them.

TrainsOfDisney

I’ve been staying at Best Western Hotel Lulu a bunch (just checked out yesterday) - it’s on harbor very close to the Toy Story lot. Rooms are fine and they are very friendly - they will check you in early if rooms are available and they have a very easy luggage storage.

thomas998

"Going through wallets and other things not normally checked is to ensure no prohibited items are making it through security."

For example in someones wallet could be this fold-able knife -

s-l1200.jpg
Although they also make a version with a ceramic blade that is completely undetectable by a metal detector. The reality is they will never be able to stop a person that is intent on getting weapons into the park. We are simply fortunate that most people aren't trying to do nefarious things. But we are destined to have the security theater continue so that when someone does do something bad that they can use the theater to help in the defense of whatever civil suit they are hit with.

Phroobar

Although they also make a version with a ceramic blade that is completely undetectable by a metal detector. The reality is they will never be able to stop a person that is intent on getting weapons into the park. We are simply fortunate that most people aren't trying to do nefarious things. But we are destined to have the security theater continue so that when someone does do something bad that they can use the theater to help in the defense of whatever civil suit they are hit with.
No one is going to bring a ceramic blade to the park and use it. That kind of thing only happens in the movies. A planned knife fight at Disneyland is about as realistic as someone placing a bomb on Space Mountain. It is highly unlikely.

thomas998

No one is going to bring a ceramic blade to the park and use it. That kind of thing only happens in the movies. A planned knife fight at Disneyland is about as realistic as someone placing a bomb on Space Mountain. It is highly unlikely.

I carry one with me all the time, have had it when I went to Disney normally just loose in my pockets and guess what, it doesn't set off any metal detector. But you are correct on it being highly unlikely that anyone is going to do a knife attack... not out of the question though as Europe has already seen a handful of knife attacks.

Phroobar

Most likely there will be unarmed fights between people when it is hot and crowed. No one is going to start knifing each other unless it was planned.

iu

Even this fight from Knotts in 2022 was planned on Instagram. Over a hundred kids ran from area to area beating each other up.
iu

Nothing security could do except try to break it up. They did monitor the internet and locked out even more kids from showing up. That is why chaperone policies are in place now.

Figments Friend

Something that crossed my mind after passing through the security check and browsing a few shops nearby…

You can buy metal tablewear, including knives right at DTD.
Even the ‘Star Wars Trading Post’ sells metal tableware …!

😳

-

Phroobar

Something that crossed my mind after passing through the security check and browsing a few shops nearby…

You can buy metal tablewear, including knives right at DTD.
Even the ‘Star Wars Trading Post’ sells metal tableware …!

😳

-
You can buy actual bowie knives and guns inside Knotts. They have a whole shop full of stuff like that. I think the guns have to be shipped to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom