New Awful Security Screening Process

DrAlice

I don’t mind the walk to W. Katella.
It is quite nice in the evening with the rows of palm trees and colored lighting.
Rather a peaceful way to end the day, and scenic.

Also have to say it is nice because one does not have to deal with the …ahem….panhandlers, shifty sellers, questionable characters, and homeless folks laid out on the sidewalk.
The clutter of tourist shops and service areas along that strip is also a turn off for me…so I stay away.

But each their own.
Some visitors prefer the ‘closeness’.
I prefer arriving trough the back gate.
I just flash my Tony Baxter Fan Club card and I am in.
😉

Best thing about Harbor Blvd….?
MIMIS CAFE!

-
Agreed. We had the same opinion for a long time. It is a peaceful walk back to the hotel. What changed? My husband's back can't take the mattresses anymore in the hotel where we used to stay. Also, the kid is older, meaning we stay in the parks longer. That shorter walk is really appreciated after all day at the parks.

Oh, isn't aging fun? Time marches on..... right across your face (and back.... and joints)!

TrainsOfDisney

I like both Harbor and Katella for all the reasons listed above but Harbor is usually a tad more convenient for me.

Obviously timing is everything but the park is packed today and when I arrived at the harbor entrance it was super easy to get in.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I love this new entrance (and the one at the parking garages) but the fact they built it with the old scanners and are still hand searching bags makes me think there’s no chance the new style scanners, like at WDW, are coming to DL anytime soon.

If DL was going to bring over the new technology the time to do it would have been when they built the new security areas from scratch, it wouldn’t make any sense to buy and install the old style scanners only to replace them shortly after.
Its really not that hard to switch out the scanners, they are literally just bolted to the ground. So its not like the new DTD checkpoint or the one at the M&F/Pixar Pals structure can't use them, even with the current configuration. It doesn't require them to be rebuilt just to accommodate the new scanners.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly believe it will never happen, or at least not any time soon because AI/Automation replacing jobs is a hot topic, especially here in California.
I have no reason to think they won't come even with the hot topic of AI/Automation. The only hold up appears to be the union, and I'm sure they are just waiting for the next contract negotiation where they can negotiate job security before they say ok. Once that hurdle it passed I would think they would be installed.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don’t mind the walk to W. Katella.
It is quite nice in the evening with the rows of palm trees and colored lighting.
Rather a peaceful way to end the day, and scenic.

Also have to say it is nice because at night time one does not have to deal with the …ahem….panhandlers, shifty sellers, questionable characters, and homeless folks laid out on the sidewalk.
The clutter of tourist shops and service areas along that strip is also a turn off for me…so I stay away.

But each their own.
Some visitors prefer the ‘closeness’.
I prefer arriving trough the back gate.
I just flash my Tony Baxter Fan Club card and I am in.
😉

Best thing about Harbor Blvd….?
MIMIS CAFE!

-
I used to always stay at the Holiday Inn on Katella, I loved the quiet walk to and from the hotel, my Gf finds that too exposed though so we now stay on Harbor and it drives me crazy. Staying on Katella felt more like being in the Disney bubble to me, staying on Harbor is like being smashed over the head every time you step foot on the sidewalk that you aren’t at Disney anymore, between the people selling goods, the homeless people, and the hateful megaphone “preachers” (I don’t know what else to call them but they aren’t preaching anything I’d consider Christian love) it’s an awful way to enter and exit Disney.

Figments Friend

Well howdy fellow Park goer!
( waves at @TrainsOfDisney )

😁

I will be heading back into the Park soon…going through the DTD security checkpoint yet again.

The one located there a one minute walk away in front of the Disneyland Hotel is even faster for getting in.
Last night, when i passed through during prime time for Friday night arrivals, it was a walk through with no waiting.

-

Figments Friend

I used to always stay at the Holiday Inn on Katella, I loved the quiet walk to and from the hotel, my Gf finds that too exposed though so we now stay on Harbor and it drives me crazy. Staying on Katella felt more like being in the Disney bubble to me, staying on Harbor is like being smashed over the head every time you step foot on the sidewalk that you aren’t at Disney anymore, between the people selling goods, the homeless people, and the hateful megaphone “preachers” (I don’t know what else to call them but they aren’t preaching anything I’d consider Christian love) it’s an awful way to enter and exit Disney.

Absolutely agee.
I always advise friends and fellow fans to avoid Harbor Blvd. like the plague.
W. Katella for the WIN!
Love me some palm trees and wide walkways all to myself most of the time.

Okay, back on topic.
Security screening at DLR.

Another slow spot -
Disney’s Grand Californian Resort.
I am usually exiting, not entering them.
I have seen some long lines and diagruntled Guest moments there over the past couple of days…

-

TrojanUSC

Original Poster
Absolutely agee.
W. Katella for the WIN!

Okay, back on topic.

Another slow spot -
I have seen some long lines and diagruntled Guest moments there over the past couple of days…

-

The Grand security line into DTD has been consistently backed up into the hotel itself, with no “no bag” option.

TrainsOfDisney

I just went in again at Harbor - a little earlier and again no significant delays. Lots of lanes open.

They are definitely being way more thorough with bags. I don’t have any bags so it doesn’t matter to me but I would feel kinda gross about security hands going through my belongings that much.

Figments Friend

Yes, if anyone in your party has backpacks with multiple pockets and compartments be prepared for 20 minutes of extensive searching.

My ONE time this week long visit of being held up at one of the security lines was when a gent in front of me had a backpack that seemed to have twenty compartments…and it took seemingly forever for him to get cleared.

I do hope this does indeed help deter folks bringing questionable things into the Parks and is not just ‘visual theatre’.

-

gerarar

Premium Member
The entrance/arrival experience was easily the lowest part (trying not to say worst since overall our trip was very fun and pleasant) of our trip last November, around 2nd week, so not that busy by any means.

Park opens at 8am, so we arrived before 7:15am at the entrance area on Harvor Blvd. Security took a bit, almost 20-25 mins just to get through with all the manual bag checks and waits. Wished they had the scanners WDW has because we just waltz right through, holding out any metal items like eyeglass case, batter banks, etc. The security CMs were very nice, but took forever. They emptied everything in our bags and then we had to put everything back in afterwards.

Then came the ticket entrances. There was a bit of a line, probably 5-10 mins wait. Then they had to take each of our pictures upon scanning each ticket and verify each of us and our names. This whole process took another 10-ish mins, and we were a party of 8.

By the time we got in and got to Main Street, it was a couple mins before 8am and the park opened. We rushed a group picture in front of the castle and rushed to start our rope drop strategy with BTMR then Matterhorn (which ended up being closed the first 2/3 of the day) then Space.

When it came to park hoping, again scan each ticket, then the CM would verify our first name and picture matched. It's just so tedious and manual overall when I'm used to the much streamlined entrance experiences over at WDW and the finger scanning (sometimes optional during peak times).

Besides that, our day was very enjoyable. We got to do about almost everything in one day across both parks. Plus fireworks weren't cancelled even tho it was a bit windy. Only MMRR and Matterhorn was down majority of the day, so never got to do those rides.
1000007432.jpg

Last edited:

CaptinEO

Absolutely agee.
W. Katella for the WIN!

Okay, back on topic.

Another slow spot -

-
Any hotel recommendations for Katella?
Is it no longer there? I see a few holiday Inns in the area but not on Katella.

Figments Friend

Any hotel recommendations for Katella?
Being a single traveler, I have stayed at the Quality Inn on W. Katella Ave several times over the years.
Fits my needs like a glove.

Clean rooms, nice hotel staff, free real breakfast each morning ( more then just ‘bread and water’) and usually a decent price.
Also a small but charming flowered and tree lined courtyard area where the small pool is.
Very nice to sit out there and enjoy your breakfast or just w enjoy the landscaped view.

Best part of course is the location.
It is on W. Katella Ave so it keeps you close to the Parks but just far enough away to avoid the mayhem of Harbor Blvd and all of that congestion.
It is a very scenic 10 to 15 minute walk to the front turnstiles of the Parks.
Hotel is located directly across from the southern end of the DTD parking lot….soon to become a coveted spot is the Disneyland Forward plans pan out.

I recommend this place to everyone looking for a basic room with comfy beds and a hot shower , plus a good free breakfast.
Directly next door are other restaurants and the ART bus station stop…as well as the EVE service that runs service to SNA airport.

Katella is lined with beautiful palm trees and pretty lighting ambiance.
Beats the hectic and crowded atmosphere on Harbor by miles.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom