New attractions for AK

duff527

However, and perhaps it’s the greedy side of me speaking, but it seems that WDW is kinda in a holding pattern when it comes to expansion.

I'd agree with that. Even when you just consider that Epcot opened in 82, Hollywood Studios in 89, and AK in 96 (I think thats' right) ... thats 14 years without a significant expansion after adding 3 new parks in a 16 year span.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd agree with that. Even when you just consider that Epcot opened in 82, Hollywood Studios in 89, and AK in 96 (I think thats' right) ... thats 14 years without a significant expansion after adding 3 new parks in a 16 year span.
AK was in 98 and it received a significant expansion (Aisa) in 1999. You could also argue that Soarin was an Epcot expansion that occurred in 2005.

Birdflu

That's funny. Because when I went, I experienced service every bit as good as what I usually get at Disney. And the sign said "Universal". Are you sure we're talking about the same place? :shrug:

I visited 3 weeks ago.. in one day I had a photographer employee literally harassing me as I walked by trying to get me to let him photograph us, even after I said no and he continued nagging us back and forth as we kept saying "no thanks", then a cashier at WWoHP proceeded to nearly argue with us that universal was better than disney (my wife was still wearing her "just married" button from our week at WDW so the employee commented) and they went on a really inappropriate amount about how Disney is stupid and not fun, etc..

These are, of course, only 2 people and you can't judge all employees by two people.. the main attitude that is found there, though, is the guests.. People there do not treat other guests the way you will find at WDW. It is a lot like visiting a 6 flags or something.. You get a lot more of the local teen crowd, it seems, who get season passes and just go and knock people over trying to get ahead on lines, etc...

lebeau

I visited 3 weeks ago.. in one day I had a photographer employee literally harassing me as I walked by trying to get me to let him photograph us, even after I said no and he continued nagging us back and forth as we kept saying "no thanks", then a cashier at WWoHP proceeded to nearly argue with us that universal was better than disney (my wife was still wearing her "just married" button from our week at WDW so the employee commented) and they went on a really inappropriate amount about how Disney is stupid and not fun, etc..

These are, of course, only 2 people and you can't judge all employees by two people.. the main attitude that is found there, though, is the guests.. People there do not treat other guests the way you will find at WDW. It is a lot like visiting a 6 flags or something.. You get a lot more of the local teen crowd, it seems, who get season passes and just go and knock people over trying to get ahead on lines, etc...

Sorry you had a couple bad experiences.

I have similar anecdotes about Disney. On our last trip, a woman nearly knocked my five year old down an escalator because she was in a hurry to get her FP for Soarin'. People on vacation just don't look where they are going...

I don't think Disney or Universal has a monopoly on this sort of thing.

Samadamz

Most of us know the story behind Dinorama, but did you know that the entire Dinoland theme is "Extinction is Forever". This theme phrase also applies to Dinorama, further proving that tacky carnivals are extinct and a thing of a past.

Still doesn't make me love the section of the park, but makes much more sense along with the story. Very clever, Imagineering.

I actually think the opposite. No general disrespect to imagineering but it seems to me that this dinoland theme phrase is a force-fit to justify some run of the mill carnival ride section.

stewdog1

AK was in 98 and it received a significant expansion (Aisa) in 1999. You could also argue that Soarin was an Epcot expansion that occurred in 2005.

I don't really consider Soarin' an expansion. Considering that WoL is now gone, there are no additional attractions in Epcot

_Scar

You should really go into the Whispering Canyon Cafe with a Universal hat on.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I actually think the opposite. No general disrespect to imagineering but it seems to me that this dinoland theme phrase is a force-fit to justify some run of the mill carnival ride section.

Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it isn't creative. I actually like the Dinoland back-story, and if you look closely, you can see the three layers of Dinoland (old rustic town in the middle of nowhere, scientific institute, and cheap tourist attraction) in the details. While the Dinorama attractions are just carnival rides (although primevil whirl is a few steps better than an ordinary wild mouse), the details that we all want from Disney are there.

Plus, Dumbo and the Rocket Jets are just carnival rides, but we accept them as being needed and, at least, well-themed. Triceratops Spin is an improved version of those (as far as ride experience goes).

raven

I don't really consider Soarin' an expansion. Considering that WoL is now gone, there are no additional attractions in Epcot

Sum of All Thrills is considered an attractions. Maybe not an E-ticket but none the less it's still an attraction that often has a long wait.

erasure fan1

Through the years we've found that Disney "manners" have gone by the wayside, which is a shame. :wave:
I would agree with that. Just one example, we just got back from 7 days in the world. While leaving epcot I had a sick kid with a fever and my wife was carrying our sleeping 20 month old. As we get to the gates you need to open to leave, there are 3 disney employees just standing there talking. God forbid one of them walks the 5ft to open the door for us. Thats just one small example of many that I could give from this and our more resent trips. Not all cast members are bad, most are good but their has been a very large influx of bad ones.

Samadamz

Of course it is, but that doesn't mean it isn't creative. I actually like the Dinoland back-story, and if you look closely, you can see the three layers of Dinoland (old rustic town in the middle of nowhere, scientific institute, and cheap tourist attraction) in the details. While the Dinorama attractions are just carnival rides (although primevil whirl is a few steps better than an ordinary wild mouse), the details that we all want from Disney are there.

Plus, Dumbo and the Rocket Jets are just carnival rides, but we accept them as being needed and, at least, well-themed. Triceratops Spin is an improved version of those (as far as ride experience goes).

I admit I give Dumbo and Rocket jets a pass because they are original WDW; I expect better in the newest park. Plus, the carnival games section really puts it over the edge for me.

SeaCastle

While the Dinorama attractions are just carnival rides (although primevil whirl is a few steps better than an ordinary wild mouse), the details that we all want from Disney are there.

Imagineering can come up with the most elaborate backstory and add as much eyewash as possible, but it still doesn't detract that it was a poorly executed land built on the cheap. The average Guest walking through the land can easily pick up on the fact that not a lot of money was put into it...perhaps a lot of thought went into it with all of the details and such, but with the exception of Dinosaur and the Cretaceous Trail, the midway games and carnival rides are simply not Disney.

The phrase "a cheap coat of paint on an old car" comes to my mind. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom