New attractions for AK

BalooChicago

With little kids and a nice zoo nearby, we struggle to spend a half day at AK.

Actually, that's not true. We skipped AK entirely on our last trip.

Our last trip was my first with a kid. Our son was 15 mo at the time, so he didn't really care where we went, but he slowed us down from my usual Disney pace. So we skipped AK, and didn't really miss it.

wizards8507

Our last trip was my first with a kid. Our son was 15 mo at the time, so he didn't really care where we went, but he slowed us down from my usual Disney pace. So we skipped AK, and didn't really miss it.

This is interesting, because I know a fair number of people who rate AK as their favorite of all the parks, but I think this requires a true animal lover. On that note, the Asian Kilimanjaro was originally included in the AK plans, and it was to be a water ride. Think Jungle Cruise with live animals (as Walt had originally intended it).

YETI27

This is interesting, because I know a fair number of people who rate AK as their favorite of all the parks, but I think this requires a true animal lover. On that note, the Asian Kilimanjaro was originally included in the AK plans, and it was to be a water ride. Think Jungle Cruise with live animals (as Walt had originally intended it).
AK is one of my favorites, not just because of the animals but the attractions themselves are some of the best in all of WDW.

floridabill

Yes!

AK is one of my favorites, not just because of the animals but the attractions themselves are some of the best in all of WDW.

Mine too!!! The park as a whole just has a great feel, and it is a shame that they don't give it the love and care it deserves! If they had done beastly kingdom nothing would have compared for at least 20 plus years not even potter!! But cant dwell of the past... they do have some really awesome rides! everest and dinosaur are my favorite!! I hope they soon give it the love and care is so desperately needs! but I'm not holding my breath...

Wakkie Nu Nu

Paradise Pier has improved dramatically in the last 3 years. Definitely can't say the same about Dinorama.

Maybe so, but it's still a standard issue boardwalk-themed section of a theme park full of typical carnival rides (TSMM notwithstanding) that commits all the same sins people get so bent out of shape over re: Dinorama ("this is exactly what Walt wanted to avoid!! Blaaah!!"). In fact, it's a MUCH larger part of the park it's in than Dinorama ever thought about being... it's carnival rides, midway games, gift shops, and boardwalk-themed design with no real back story. Admittedly, I'm not remotely a fan of DCA in relation to the other domestic Disney Parks, but after seeing PP I hardly even notice Dinorama being there (though I agree that I'm no fan of either)...

rct247

Most of us know the story behind Dinorama, but did you know that the entire Dinoland theme is "Extinction is Forever". This theme phrase also applies to Dinorama, further proving that tacky carnivals are extinct and a thing of a past.

Still doesn't make me love the section of the park, but makes much more sense along with the story. Very clever, Imagineering.

Biff215

We've taken 4 trips so far with our now 2 year old daughter. While we hit AK every trip, it typically is for a half day. I even manage to ride Everest in that time, although we do skip Dinosaur and Kali. The safari and shows (FotLK and Nemo) are really all that's worthwhile when you have a toddler. The park could really use some family-friendly dark rides, especially to get out of the heat.

Don't get me wrong, I love AK. We did spend longer days there before kids, but it still needs some work. This was more excusable 5 years ago when the park was still young, but now it's 12 years old. I know DCA is more troubled attendance-wise, but it will soon surpass AK in overall attraction offerings once they're done over there.

IWant2GoNow

I, for one, haven't seen any attractions in the works for AK. Other things, yes. Just not attractions.

Funny how 3 little words can kill all hope. :cry:

Maybe DAK will take a huge hit from IOA and they'll rethink things in the next 5 years or so... *sigh*

This is why no one should be wishing for a 5th park yet.

lebeau

you'd never get manners or general polite behavior either.. even from employees

That's funny. Because when I went, I experienced service every bit as good as what I usually get at Disney. And the sign said "Universal". Are you sure we're talking about the same place? :shrug:

MicheleK

We just came back from two days at Disney (DHS and MK) and two days at Universal/IOA. I have to say, crowds were HUGE at US/IOA and not so much at Disney (which was nice not to have to wait in too many long lines). WWoHP in IOA was absolutely breath taking! We stayed on property at Royal Pacific which meant we got early admission and Express Pass. We found no difference in "manners" at either theme park. Through the years we've found that Disney "manners" have gone by the wayside, which is a shame. Nothing will ever take the place of my love for Disney but we do now make it a point to add Universal/IOA into every Disney vacation, even if it's only few two or three days. :wave:

KaneMarko

We have gone to WDW every year since 2006. It’s our favorite place to travel and we love all that exists at Disney.

However, and perhaps it’s the greedy side of me speaking, but it seems that WDW is kinda in a holding pattern when it comes to expansion. I know Fantasy Land Expansion is in the works. But it seems it’s been several years since a major attraction has opened as far as E-ticket attractions. Correct me if I’m wrong but the last one was EE in 2006, correct? EE is a magnificent attraction…well…at least it was when the Yeti was in A mode. But I’d think that with HP opening at Universal to a ridiculous crowd of people that Disney would want to up the ante some and add one or more big time attractions in the near future. No disrespect to the FLE. But I’m taking in terms of E-Ticket/coaster type attractions.

I was watching a Disney DVD yesterday and Rohde mentioned something to the fact that they have 50-70 acres of land they could still expand into at AK. I know the economy is still bad. And it’s effecting even Disney. But I hope there are plans in the pipeline somewhere to add one or more big time attraction(s) in the relative near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom