New Anna/Elsa standby procedure?

omurice

Everyone seems to think this paper ticket thing is a fastpass. It is not. I talked to some family who lives in Orlando who used it yesterday. At 9:30 am she was given a paper to return between 5:00 -5:30 pm. They returned at 5:00 on the dot to line up, there was still an increadibly long line and it was 5:45 before they got in, yes it was better than 3 hours, but they had had to wait seven hours for their return time, then had to wait almost an hour after getting in line. From what she was told the wait time got longer as the day went on as more and more return times started piling in the line, plus she said it was still insane just getting over there and getting the little card with the return time (there was quite a long wait just to get the card). A castmember told her they are trying out different ways of distrubiting the cards to see what works best ,(some of the days they were giving out cards a little at a time, but that was forcing people to have to make several trips to fairytale hall just to try and get a card, so who knows what the final result will be, but one thing is for certain it won't be fast.

This my friend is the paper FastPass "that dare not speak its name" ;)

It is EXACTLY the paper FP system. It's just printed on nicer paper in a nicer font...
You show up in person just like paper FP. They give you a slip of paper with a time on it, you come back when your time arrives just like paper FP. If the line is not moving or something goes wrong (like a 101) they stop giving them out (just like they used to shut off the paper FP machines during a 101, or lightning storm on outdoor rides).

It's a second FP for a longer line than FP+, but it's still a FP.

This is paper FP in every sense of the word. They just don't dare call it by that name

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

It is EXACTLY the paper FP system. It's just printed on nicer paper in a nicer font...
You show up in person just like paper FP. They give you a slip of paper with a time on it, you come back when your time arrives just like paper FP. If the line is not moving or something goes wrong (like a 101) they stop giving them out (just like they used to shut off the paper FP machines during a 101, or lightning storm on outdoor rides).

This is paper FP in every sense of the word. They just don't dare call it by that name

Do you cut in line ahead of people waiting in a stand-by line?

dadddio

There are only two meeting at a time at MK. I'm not sure of the timing for Epcot, but if TDO was smart they would have not removed them from the area in the first place. Instead, the girls should have been at both locations this whole time.
I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread it was stated that there are four pairs in MK. Regardless, the argument that they should never have stopped the M&G in Norway doesn't change the fact that resuming it is an increase in the number of M&Gs.

lazyboy97o

Good grief...ok...do you "legally" get to cut in line ahead of people waiting in a stand-by line....

or...do you get "to go ahead" of people waiting in a stand-by line...

that is what fastpass is...however you want to spin it, well that is up to you I guess.
No, it did not allow people to go ahead. FastPass has always been about prearranging a slot within the existing queue. It is a virtual queue. Systems like Universal ExpressPass Plus or levels of Six Flag's Flash Pass are cutting systems.

stevehousse

To clarify, if u have a FP+ reserved, you get to use the FP line which is much shorter and does enable you to essentially cut in front of those in the stand by line. The paper FP they r handing out for A and E allows you to get in the standby line. There is still a wait if u have a paper FP, but if u hve the FP+ reserved, it's a much shorter wait...

cw1982

I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread it was stated that there are four pairs in MK. Regardless, the argument that they should never have stopped the M&G in Norway doesn't change the fact that resuming it is an increase in the number of M&Gs.

There are four pairs but only two meet at a time. They switch out for breaks and such.

There was an increase, but it wasn't enough and TDO knew it. So, I'm sorry, but I still don't see this as acceptable. They could have had this whole thing resolved months ago, and instead they are trying to take the cheap way out.

ETA : I just realized I misread your post (thought you were talking about the original meet and greet getting increased when it moved to MK) but either way, I stand by my point that TDO is doing too little too late in this case.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There are four pairs but only two meet at a time. They switch out for breaks and such.

There was an increase, but it wasn't enough and TDO knew it. So, I'm sorry, but I still don't see this as acceptable. They could have had this whole thing resolved months ago, and instead they are trying to take the cheap way out.

At WDW it is not enough M&G's. At Disney Store, it is not enough Elsa dresses. It is the story of Frozen craziness unfortunately. Hopefully they can figure it out because unlike some, I do not see this dying down anytime soon.

natatomic

No, it did not allow people to go ahead. FastPass has always been about prearranging a slot within the existing queue. It is a virtual queue. Systems like Universal ExpressPass Plus or levels of Six Flag's Flash Pass are cutting systems.

Not to keep diverting this thread off topic, but really, it was/is a sort of legalized cutting, virtual queue or not. Think of the people that would get FPs for big attraction first thing in the morning (say...Space Mountain), and then hop in the standby line immediately after. Once they got off their first ride, they could often get on SM again with their FPs almost immediately. Basically, they were riding twice while waiting only once, essentially. You cannot do that without some sort of system that allows you to jump ahead of other people.

cw1982

At WDW it is not enough M&G's. At Disney Store, it is not enough Elsa dresses. It is the story of Frozen craziness unfortunately. Hopefully they can figure it out because unlike some, I do not see this dying down anytime soon.

Yeah hopefully. It's just unfathomable to me that TDO is still reeling from trying to catch up with this. Rumor is that they were told that money was no object for the event at HS... and yet they couldn't budget in there for a meet and greet? To me, the merchandise issue is a little more understandable, because to a degree that's a fairly common issue (Black Friday toy of the year, anyone?) and it seems to have improved somewhat since Disney implemented restrictions on how much any one person can buy at a time. But the meet and greets are easy enough to control by adding supply to meet the demand. TDO just doesn't seem to want to do it.

I do agree that the hype, at least in the parks, will be around for a good while... at least until the next popular princess movie comes out.

ninjaprincesst

I guess if you want to look at it that way but I do not call 45 minutes fast and there is no consistency as to when or how they are given out.

dreamfinder

WDW has historically had problems filling face characters roles, especially when you compare it to the CMs that get hired for similar roles to DLR. Often this gets lumped in with the acting/singing/dancing talent pool in Southern Cali that DLR has to draw from, plenty more people out there trying to get a break who can work jobs like this, unlike at WDW. For some reason finding friends for the sisters seemed to be even harder than normal.

Outside of that, where do you propose they put them? AK? Really not even remotely thematically appropriate. Back in Norway? They were crammed in a location that was ill equipped to serve as a M&G location, and had guests waiting for hours unprotected outdoors. DHS? Sure, I'll give you that one, but where?

I'll gladly slam WDW and TDO anywhere appropriate, but they already have taken over half of the princess M&G area just for these two. Short of rushing a dedicated Frozen-land into production (much like DHS this summer) there is only so much that can be done. While this sadly means that some Little Suzy's and Jane's won't get to meet the sisters, it also means that they aren't further cramming something down our throats than is already happening. Back when Lilo & Stitch was the rage, they shoved Stitch everywhere, and got massive blowback from that decision. The same with Pins & Vinylmation. Cramming stuff where it doesn't belong just completely kills the resulting product.

Obi

do you think that disney is trying to boost the appearance that nfl is THE place to go, that they have huge crowds there, possibly boost the popularity of 7dmt with more riders, etc. by placing the a&e m&g where it is now?

they could've put them anywhere and they would still have the long lines. why put them there? i understand that they have the building already there, etc... just seems a little interesting that they placed them over there...

HRHPrincessAriel

Original Poster
do you think that disney is trying to boost the appearance that nfl is THE place to go, that they have huge crowds there, possibly boost the popularity of 7dmt with more riders, etc. by placing the a&e m&g where it is now?

they could've put them anywhere and they would still have the long lines. why put them there? i understand that they have the building already there, etc... just seems a little interesting that they placed them over there...
because they are Princesses and they have the Princess Fairytale Hall....

RSoxNo1

I have not met Anna and Elsa, however I have heard very positive things about the meet and greet itself. There is a considerable amount of time spent with each guest, the actresses are very good, etc. I sincerely hope that maintaining this quality of performer/experience is what is preventing them from putting similar meet and greets elsewhere. While I support the idea of reverting back to the old Fastpass system in distribution rules, I don't think the "faux-Fastpass" done in this test solves anything. The solution is for either the demand to die down (it will happen eventually) or to increase capacity. I hope that the only thing restricting that capacity increase is a lack of available candidates to play Anna and Elsa. At something like Fairytale Hall (two devoted rooms), I'm not sure how many pairs of Anna and Elsa's they need to satisfy just that location. I don't know if those characters are also in the parade at MK and/or the summer festivities at DHS. Assuming they are able to hire the necessary actresses, I could see them putting Anna and Elsa back in Norway, in the Animation Courtyard and at multiple dining locations.

boufa

I have not heard of them going back to Epcot at all? That would be good. But having them spread out in 3 parks instead of just 4 sets of characters in 1 building in 1 park would be much better...there is no was to defend the asinine way they are trying to set this whole meet n greet up. It's just silly...

Absolutely the wrong solution...

The right solution is one of 2 things..
1) eliminate it completely. If this is a no win scenario for Disney then just dump the whole thing. If you can't serve the demand, then eliminate the m&g and then no one waits.

2) Concentrate the m&g in 1 area. If you put 3 sets of them out in 3 different parks, you stand a decent chance that at least some % of the people will meet with them multiple times. This CREATES demand, not satisfies it.

The issue at MK isn't space, the issue is bodies to play the part. If they had more rooms, with more clones doing the job, they would increase through put and this decrease wait times.

One other point, since this topic seems to be on fire... You get a ticket to the MK, it does not guarantee all experiences. The m&g is a show. Not significantly different than Fantasmic, or the Candle Light Processional. Maybe that is why you went, but when the show has hit capacity, there is nothing more to do. Unless they increase capacity, your are just SOL. Being willing to stand in a 5 hour line for an experience that has already reached its daily capacity is just silly.

This paper "fastpass" system simply fills capacity while reducing the amount of inconvenience as possible... Remember when there was a hot selling concert ticket going on sale? People would stand in line for hours, or even all night. Then they would be given a wrist band with a number, so that they could leave and come back. Same thing. Those concerts sold out in minutes, and only the fanatics who stood in the rain and got their wrist band got tickets. This is the same thing. Once those tickets are gone, the experience is simply unavailable.

Bocabear

I don't know why they don't just give Anna and Elsa a restaurant, do it up as Anna and Elsa's Coronation Feast, they could circulate through the dining room like the other Character dining locations...Disney would make a boat load of money, Families would be happier that they did not wait in line 5 hours to see the princesses as it would be handled through ADR, there would be more people out and about in the parks (Which means spending money) rather than filling up an interminable queue...and when the madness dies down, Disney will have made a lot more money, and then Anna and Elsa can get a themed restroom just like Rapunzel... Issue solved!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom