New Aerial!! Mine Cart has started!!

Disaddict

The shop was cute for kids and I liked that you could pick up the Mr. Potato Head parts in there (as well as DTD).

I have always balked at getting a Mr. Potato Head until I walked into that shop last year. I finally broke down and bought one, complete with suitcase, mickey balloon, and a Goofy hat. :)

NewtoDisney2009

Ya know, they built the whole Disneyland in a year. They built the MK in about 2 years (not including canals, lagoon, highways etc.). Yet this area is going to take 3 years to finish. I know why its taking so long...every time I see a picture all the workers are just standing there not moving. :p

:ROFLOL: I don't know why Disney doesn't do something about all this laziness!:animwink:

MeandMickey

I am so glad to see some new attractions in MK, but is anyone else a little bummed by the feel of everything being so cramped in the new area? Each attraction seems to be right on top of each other. Hopefully Disney will be able to pull of some spacial separation with landscaping and other tricks and make the attractions appear separate, yet seemless in guest flow. I am particulary sad about having Dumbo moved away from its current location. I have fond memories of riding and enjoying the view of the castle from when I was younger, and subsuquently taking my own children on the ride for that experience. If you think about it, Dumbo is another "hub" located behind the castle. I just don't sense the same feeling coming over me of the new double Dumbo ride by the Goofy coaster and car tracks.

OldBlueEyes

My head hurts from trying to flip the images to be in the same direction in my head. For some reason I just can't visualize how everything lines up...guess I'm holding out for one of the photoshop geniuses to superimpose them...:rolleyes::D

Well, a Photoshop genius I'm not, but have a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amiVhi1jMtc

I tried to make a kind of drawing to show the path towards the entrance to the restaurant. With where I think the bridge will be.

OBE

Lee

Adventurer
And while they also seem to be hinting at a new show in one of the tents,
No.
One tent is merchandise, the other is a M&G.

Many of us have speculated the track would go below 'grade' (utilidor level) but have not been able to confirm this. You seem to think it will. Do you have a drawing or something that shows this?
Many? I thought it was just you?:lol:
Anyhow...the coaster is entirey above grade.

ob1thx1138

No.
One tent is merchandise, the other is a M&G.

Are you saying that the coaster will never be underground as in it will never have dirt over it like a real mine, or are you saying that the coaster will never be at an elevation lower than the current walkways? Because I can believe the first one, but the models and concept art show that the coaster dips below grade a few times, of course each time it is still open to the sky above, but it does dip into valleys, most prominently in the initial curve out of the load area.

NoChesterHester

I am so glad to see some new attractions in MK, but is anyone else a little bummed by the feel of everything being so cramped in the new area? Each attraction seems to be right on top of each other. Hopefully Disney will be able to pull of some spacial separation with landscaping and other tricks and make the attractions appear separate, yet seemless in guest flow. I am particulary sad about having Dumbo moved away from its current location. I have fond memories of riding and enjoying the view of the castle from when I was younger, and subsuquently taking my own children on the ride for that experience. If you think about it, Dumbo is another "hub" located behind the castle. I just don't sense the same feeling coming over me of the new double Dumbo ride by the Goofy coaster and car tracks.

I think the density is what makes it rich.

AEfx

I think the density is what makes it rich.

Exactly.

One of the best things about finally visiting Disneyland was to see their Fantasyland - which has more attractions and isn't laid out like a row of game tents at a traveling carnival. Instead of generic metal roofs, each attraction actually has an exterior! Like, Snow White is in a castle. Mr. Toad is in Toad Hall, etc. And it feels like you are "discovering" something as you walk around and it's not all laid out in a couple of straight lines for you.

That, to me, has always been the most exciting thing about FLE - finally, the flagship resort will have a Fantasyland truly fitting. Where it looks like where the characters featured actually live, as opposed to the rather bland medieval "fair" we had before.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

Disney is quite experienced in separation of experiences.... you would never expect that It's A Small World and The Haunted Mansion are literally right next to each other. They feel like they are miles apart.

Landscaping is one of Disney's greatest attributes in terms of themeing.

Rest assured that this area will be a plus for the park.

While you may feel that Dumbo would not be the same elsewhere...others feel that it is an easily movable attraction. The Haunted Mansion would still be the same in Epcot as far as I'm concerned (given the right landscaping).:shrug:

AEfx

Ya know, they built the whole Disneyland in a year. They built the MK in about 2 years (not including canals, lagoon, highways etc.). Yet this area is going to take 3 years to finish. I know why its taking so long...every time I see a picture all the workers are just standing there not moving. :p

I know the end of your reply is tongue-in-cheek, and a few people have made joking comments, but you are not wrong.

It's because construction workers generally used to, you know, work a full day. They rarely do anymore. And I'm sure Disney is also spacing this out due to spreading out the costs as well.

There is a small bridge (perhaps a few hundred yards) in my small New England town that had deteriorated, so last October they set up a detour and started ripping it down. Here we are, a year later, and still have the detour. Supposedly it will be finished within a month.

So it's taken a full year (with countless hours of people stuck in traffic, and accidents due to the poor detour route, etc.) to build one bridge that spans a few hundred yards (at most, it's probably less). Yet, although I drive by at all times of the day (7AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, etc.) there is almost never any "work" going on.

It's just how construction "works" today. Especially with the construction industry having such a hard time in the economy, it's in their best interests to keep a project going and as extended as possible. It's ridiculous, but unfortunately that's the world we live in today.

ob1thx1138

I know the end of your reply is tongue-in-cheek, and a few people have made joking comments, but you are not wrong.

It's because construction workers generally used to, you know, work a full day. They rarely do anymore. And I'm sure Disney is also spacing this out due to spreading out the costs as well.

There is a small bridge (perhaps a few hundred yards) in my small New England town that had deteriorated, so last October they set up a detour and started ripping it down. Here we are, a year later, and still have the detour. Supposedly it will be finished within a month.

So it's taken a full year (with countless hours of people stuck in traffic, and accidents due to the poor detour route, etc.) to build one bridge that spans a few hundred yards (at most, it's probably less). Yet, although I drive by at all times of the day (7AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, etc.) there is almost never any "work" going on.

It's just how construction "works" today. Especially with the construction industry having such a hard time in the economy, it's in their best interests to keep a project going and as extended as possible. It's ridiculous, but unfortunately that's the world we live in today.

A lot of the down time on a construction site is due to the fact that the foreman is not allowed to make nearly as many decisions as they once were. There was a time when a foreman had the ability to trouble shoot and come up with a fix for an unexpected issue on site. Now even minor issues are expected to be pushed up the ladder for decision making. That leads to what a lot of people see as down time on the site, but in actuality they are simply waiting for the engineer to make a decision.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I hate to disagree with Lee, but it really appears like the track will go below grade level for a short period. The first picture is from the D23 model an it really looks like there is a section of track running below the level of the walkway. The second picture of the construction matches up with what's in the model, you can see the Mad Tea Party in both pictures.

MineTrain1.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
To clarify...
Dip down to slightly below walkway level...sure.
Travel down to utilidor level, or stay below walkwaylevel long...nope.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
sorry for your loss, but remember their real houses are in toontown at DL

So true...the torn down houses were merely their Florida vacation cottages.

It was their own DVC franchise that went belly up when the economy soured. Mickey and Minnie are still reeling from the financial loss, but they have a good investment broker who will pull them out of this glitch in their portfolio.​

Zac Skellington

This is simply NOT true. Extending the number of days a project goes, eats up man-hours. A contractor's favorite project is the kind where you get in, get out, and get paid. Disney's budget is responsible for the pace of this project.

As for your "small" 900' bridge, (I'm guessing it spans a body of water), there could be environmental issues causing delays. Our area once had a bridge project completely shut down for months, due to spawning fish in the area. The concern was that any disturbance to the river bottom would cause silt to cover the fish eggs, and kill the entire spawn. Most people aren't aware of such obstacles. If your bridge has concrete in it's construction, I'm sure there is some curing time involved before some other work can proceed.

Anyway, things aren't always as they appear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom