New Aerial!! Mine Cart has started!!

Disaddict

We're going through the same thing around here with the Sherman-Minton bridge spanning the Ohio River between Louisville, KY and New Albany, IN. The radio stations have been calling it Shermegeddon because of the 4 hour traffic jams. They apparently found a crack in the structure and have completely shut down the bridge. They announced yesterday that it will take 6 months and 20 million to fix it. That means 1 year 6 months and 40 million dollars. ;)

Rob562

We're going through the same thing around here with the Sherman-Minton bridge spanning the Ohio River between Louisville, KY and New Albany, IN. The radio stations have been calling it Shermegeddon because of the 4 hour traffic jams. They apparently found a crack in the structure and have completely shut down the bridge. They announced yesterday that it will take 6 months and 20 million to fix it. That means 1 year 6 months and 40 million dollars. ;)

Then you get the other end of the spectrum where here in Boston they replaced 14 bridges in 16 weeks along I-93 this summer.

They did one bridge each weekend (except the July 4th holiday weekend) throughout the summer, closing the bridge by 8pm Friday, and having the new bridge opened by 5 or 6am Monday. (And most times they were done early) I believe they pre-fabricated as much as possible off-site, and then trucked it in. All that remained was some finishing work done the next couple weeks afterward.

Yes, there were traffic headaches with the detours and lane closures, but the fact that they did all that construction in such a short period of time was amazing. Using normal construction routines, it would have taken 4 years to replace all 14 bridges.

http://www.93fast14.com

-Rob

Disaddict

Then you get the other end of the spectrum where here in Boston they replaced 14 bridges in 16 weeks along I-93 this summer.

They did one bridge each weekend (except the July 4th holiday weekend) throughout the summer, closing the bridge by 8pm Friday, and having the new bridge opened by 5 or 6am Monday. (And most times they were done early) I believe they pre-fabricated as much as possible off-site, and then trucked it in. All that remained was some finishing work done the next couple weeks afterward.

Yes, there were traffic headaches with the detours and lane closures, but the fact that they did all that construction in such a short period of time was amazing. Using normal construction routines, it would have taken 4 years to replace all 14 bridges.

http://www.93fast14.com

-Rob

True, and that is amazing that they got that done in that short amount of time. I wish all construction crews worked as fast. But those were mainly overpasses and small streams and creeks. I'm talking about trying to cross this puppy. ;) I would love it if they could go that fast.

They are actually talking about building two more bridges here to help alleviate the problems with traffic getting across the JFK bridge. Not the one in the picture above, that is the Clark Memorial bridge about 1/4 mile down from the JFK. And they say that once construction begins it will take them 5 years to finish the project. :eek: Yeah, if they all stand around and do nothing! I understand about the ecosystem and all but 5 years??

ob1thx1138

True, and that is amazing that they got that done in that short amount of time. I wish all construction crews worked as fast. But those were mainly overpasses and small streams and creeks. I'm talking about trying to cross this puppy. ;) I would love it if they could go that fast.

They are actually talking about building two more bridges here to help alleviate the problems with traffic getting across the JFK bridge. Not the one in the picture above, that is the Clark Memorial bridge about 1/4 mile down from the JFK. And they say that once construction begins it will take them 5 years to finish the project. :eek: Yeah, if they all stand around and do nothing! I understand about the ecosystem and all but 5 years??

50 years ago they would have completed the job in a lot less time, but they probably would have wasted a lot more material and probably killed several people getting it done.

It reminds me of the policy NASA once used: Faster Better Cheaper. That mentality gave us the Challenger Disaster. Which taught them that you can achieve only two of the three at the expense of the third so you had to choose which two you want.

rpk4444

Worst case the path from Tomorrowland that runs between the tracks and the Speedway will be open, but I am pretty sure they are going to have a path from near the tea cups ready in time for the opening. Remember we have at least 5 to 6 months (if not more) before the opening of parts of Storybook Circus.

Dan[/QUOte

I was thinking the same thing. The path from Tomorrowland and the Train may be the only way of getting to the Storybook Circus area at the begining.

fngoofy

The blue circle is where Dumbo is about now and the red line would be where the long wall currently sits.

new-fantasyland-overview-high-res.png

I think Dumbo is about a half inch to the left of where you have it.
If you look on the photo, just above the white styrofoam looking area, that building is the beginning of the castle courtyard shown in the artwork (we are just seeing the woods side, the other side will look like wall.)

If you go from where that ends towards Dumbo, you are making the last connection of the wall in the artwork, the part with the little spires on it.

ob1thx1138

In this pic it doesn't look like there is enough room for the ride I've heard about.

That is because the ride will not be in this picture. The ride area extends beyond this picture in the lower left hand corner. You might see the very far western edge of the ride in this picture.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Worst case the path from Tomorrowland that runs between the tracks and the Speedway will be open, but I am pretty sure they are going to have a path from near the tea cups ready in time for the opening. Remember we have at least 5 to 6 months (if not more) before the opening of parts of Storybook Circus.

Dan[/QUOte

I was thinking the same thing. The path from Tomorrowland and the Train may be the only way of getting to the Storybook Circus area at the begining.

Based on where they are currently doing construction for the mine ride it's very possible that they will have a path by the Mad Tea Party ready by the time Storybook Circus opens.

Dan

Goofyque'

Ya know, they built the whole Disneyland in a year. They built the MK in about 2 years (not including canals, lagoon, highways etc.). Yet this area is going to take 3 years to finish. I know why its taking so long...every time I see a picture all the workers are just standing there not moving. :p

I was at DL in 1957. It may have been completed in a year, but it was nothing like the DL or MK you see now. No Coasters, POTC, HM, Even the dark rides were few and far between. I remember the Storybook boat ride, and riding on a real burro. The Skyway was also there, but nothing like they are building now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom