New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

Clamman73

This is tickets...who's been keeping track of the percentage increase of price for food items year-to-year??? Or do they just switch an item on the menu and it's magically more expensive. More wool over the eyes.

Beholder

I'm so, I don't know, frustrated, I guess, by this. I love the place, but this is getting to be a bit much. If visible, tangible updates, upgrades, new attractions, new merchandise, shows, whatever was constantly being added, and all with decent technology and constituted a real, solid effort, then I'd understand. But raising the price just for the sake of raising it is just a money grab. I know next to nothing about business or it's practices, and I'm sure there's something I just don't "get", but what I DO understand is paying more for something that either hasn't changed to warrant the price increase, or hasn't been (in my opinion) keeping up with it's competitors. And that stinks.

ParentsOf4

Now that 2013 price increases are in, we can look at the trends for this beautiful ticket called "Magic Your Way", introduced in 2005 which, coincidentally, was Iger's first year as CEO.

In 2005, an adult 7-day base MYW ticket cost $199. In 8 years, the price is now $309, a total increase of 55.3% or about 5.7% compounded annually. Prices (with increases) along that way:

2005: $199
2006: $210 (5.5%)
2007: $219 (4.1%)
2008: $228 (4.1%)
2009: $234 (2.6%)
2010: $247 (5.6%)
2011: $267 (8.1%)
2012: $288 (7.9%)
2013: $309 (7.3%)

Iger talks a lot about "pricing leverage". In recent years, you can see he really means it.

The "no expiration" option has been hit hardest. What once was a staple of WDW, included for "free" with all multiday park tickets throughout much of its history, clearly has been targeted for eventual elimination. On a 10-day ticket, the ticket most commonly bought with the "no expiration" option, the price has increased from $100 in 2005 to $325 in 2013. That's a 225% price increase in only 8 years.

That's not "Magic My Way"; that's "Magic Disney's Way".

George1995

As much as I don't like this, maybe they are planning to use the added profit to make some new additions to the park.

I know that's very optimistic thinking these days but you never know.

ParentsOf4

This is tickets...who's been keeping track of the percentage increase of price for food items year-to-year??? Or do they just switch an item on the menu and it's magically more expensive. More wool over the eyes.
The easiest way to follow food prices is with DDP.

Since being introduced in 2005, the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) has proven to be popular with many onsite guests. In 2005, DDP cost $35/night and included one Table Service (TS) meal consisting of appetizer, non-alcoholic beverage, main course, dessert, and 18% gratuity, one Quick Service (QS) meal consisting of non-alcoholic beverage, main course, and dessert, and one snack. Disney now offers several DDP options, with the Standard DDP being most similar to the original DDP. The 2012 price of this plan is $51.54/night. However, the TS appetizer and 18% gratuity are no longer included. When these are factored in, the equivalent price is around $60/night. An increase from $35/night in 2005 to $60/night in 2012 represents an annual increase of 8.0%.

In 2013, the DDP price increased another 12.5%.

Dads 2 Boys

Or just roll over, keep quiet, and be exploited?

From talking to quite a few educated friends the past few hours I feel this may actually be the start of the turning point.

That's been said many times though. I know u know more than I do, but the line in the sand thing has been said a lot. I hope you and your friends are correct to be honest.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The easiest way to follow this is with DDP.

Since being introduced in 2005, the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) has proven to be popular with many onsite guests. In 2005, DDP cost $35/night and included one Table Service (TS) meal consisting of appetizer, non-alcoholic beverage, main course, dessert, and 18% gratuity, one Quick Service (QS) meal consisting of non-alcoholic beverage, main course, and dessert, and one snack. Disney now offers several DDP options, with the Standard DDP being most similar to the original DDP. The 2012 price of this plan is $51.54/night. However, the TS appetizer and 18% gratuity are no longer included. When these are factored in, the equivalent price is around $60/night. An increase from $35/night in 2005 to $60/night in 2012 represents an annual increase of 8.0%.

In 2013, the DDP price increased another 12.5%.

B...b...but it was free!?!?!

alyaba

Who knows, maybe they feel that the parks are too crowded and very difficult to manage, specially magic kingdom. Simple solution is to increase the prices so that the people that can actually afford it can enjoy it more.

ParentsOf4

B...b...but it was free!?!?!
If by "free", you mean "Free Dining", well that's yet another example of price increases.

"Free Dining" appears to have been used originally as a strategy to help boost attendance when WDW's numbers were growing soft. It worked so well they brought it back and upped the dosage. But it's an expensive perk for Disney to offer so now they are trying to wean the public off it once more.

According to mousesavers, Free Dining was offered in one form or another to the general public as follows since 2010 (note some had blackout dates, typically holiday weekends):

- 3/14/2010 - 10/2/2010 - Kids stay, play, and eat free
- 8/15/2010 - 12/21/2010 - Free Dining

- 1/1/2011 - 3/3/2011 - Free Dining
- 5/27/2011 - 6/2/2011 - Free Dining
- 8/19/2011 - 9/29/2011 - Free Dining
- 10/1/2011 - 12/17/2011 - Free Dining

- 1/8/2012 - 3/31/2012 - Free Dining
- 8/25/2012 - 12/13/2012 - Free Dining

- 9/2/2013 - 9/25/2013 - Free Dining

WDW definitely has cut back on Free Dining this year, effectively yet another way they are increasing prices on there "guests".

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If by "free", you mean "Free Dining", well that's yet another example of price increases.

"Free Dining" appears to have been used originally as a strategy to help boost attendance when WDW's numbers were growing soft. It worked so well they brought it back and upped the dosage. But it's an expensive perk for Disney to offer so now they are trying to wean the public off it once more.

According to mousesavers, Free Dining was offered in one form or another to the general public as follows since 2010 (note some had blackout dates, typically holiday weekends):

- 3/14/2010 - 10/2/2010 - Kids stay, play, and eat free
- 8/15/2010 - 12/21/2010 - Free Dining

- 1/1/2011 - 3/3/2011 - Free Dining
- 5/27/2011 - 6/2/2011 - Free Dining
- 8/19/2011 - 9/29/2011 - Free Dining
- 10/1/2011 - 12/17/2011 - Free Dining

- 1/8/2012 - 3/31/2012 - Free Dining
- 8/25/2012 - 12/13/2012 - Free Dining

- 9/2/2013 - 9/25/2013 - Free Dining

WDW definitely has cut back on Free Dining this year, effectively yet another way they are increasing prices on there "guests".

I say...good. Hopefully it will wean the general public off making so many darned ADRs as well.

aladdin2007

I'm so, I don't know, frustrated, I guess, by this. I love the place, but this is getting to be a bit much. If visible, tangible updates, upgrades, new attractions, new merchandise, shows, whatever was constantly being added, and all with decent technology and constituted a real, solid effort, then I'd understand. But raising the price just for the sake of raising it is just a money grab. I know next to nothing about business or it's practices, and I'm sure there's something I just don't "get", but what I DO understand is paying more for something that either hasn't changed to warrant the price increase, or hasn't been (in my opinion) keeping up with it's competitors. And that stinks.

This! Im with you, well said. DHS has seen cuts yet a higher price, Epcot isn't adding anything but more booze and food, MK has become princess kingdom with mediocre additions, and AK well we wont even go there. I really do think they are trying to oust out passholders and locals. The corporate greed is only interested in the foreigners who spend, to hades with creativity and enjoyability and what it use to be all about. Its a shame. But I guess something has to cover the billions they are spending on the oh so precious nextgen stuff. Imagine if that money had been funneled into the physical aspects of the parks like it should have been!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This! Im with you, well said. DHS has seen cuts yet a higher price, Epcot isn't adding anything but more booze and food, MK has become princess kingdom with mediocre additions, and AK well we wont even go there. I really do think they are trying to oust out passholders and locals. The corporate greed is only interested in the foreigners who spend, to hades with creativity and enjoyability and what it use to be all about. Its a shame. But I guess something has to cover the billions they are spending on the oh so precious nextgen stuff. Imagine if that money had been funneled into the physical aspects of the parks like it should have been!

<random Imagineer>

"We have been planning for some amazing new ride experiences at all the theme parks in Florida, including a massive new...Squirrel!!!"

<Imagineer runs off to chase a magicband>

djlaosc

Our (UK) free dining for next year (2014) is 1st Jan - 8th Apr 2014 and 27th Apr - 30th Nov 2014, which, if you say that someone stays for 21 nights on the final night of the offer could actually be 1 Jan - 20 Dec 2014, so we basically get the free dining offer all year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom