New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

Belowthesurface

"As we’ve heard from many of our guests, the quality entertainment and attractions and the memorable moments created by our cast make a Disney theme park experience a great value. There’s something for everyone at Disney Parks to make a magical vacation memory."

This sentence is pure non-sense garbage that Disney is known for these days.

Are Guests demanding the prices go up because Disney World is such a "value" or is Disney saying it's 100% OK because Guests feel the parks are such a "value?"

And for goodness sake, please release a press statement without mentioning "memories." You should read the internal Cast publications, all they mention are MEMORIES.

articos

Apparently because lots of guests have magical moments and think they get good value:

"As we’ve heard from many of our guests, the quality entertainment and attractions and the memorable moments created by our cast make a Disney theme park experience a great value. There’s something for everyone at Disney Parks to make a magical vacation memory"
This was my favorite. I'm wanting to know if he was able to type this without laughing.

ParentsOf4

Our (UK) free dining for next year (2014) is 1st Jan - 8th Apr 2014 and 27th Apr - 30th Nov 2014, which, if you say that someone stays for 21 nights on the final night of the offer could actually be 1 Jan - 20 Dec 2014, so we basically get the free dining offer all year.
So you're suggesting that the 300 million of us living in the United States should move to the U.K. so we can get "free dining"? I hope you have a spare room in your house.;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
"As we’ve heard from many of our guests, the quality entertainment and attractions and the memorable moments created by our cast make a Disney theme park experience a great value. There’s something for everyone at Disney Parks to make a magical vacation memory."

This sentence is pure non-sense garbage that Disney is known for these days.

Are Guests demanding the prices go up because Disney World is such a "value" or is Disney saying it's 100% OK because Guests feel the parks are such a "value?"

And for goodness sake, please release a press statement without mentioning "memories." You should read the internal Cast publications, all they mention are MEMORIES.

Well, to be fair, that is part of what they peddle. Though, Disneyspeak can be annoying, agreed. It's just like they overuse the words "magic" and "magical", as if my telling us repeatedly that it is will make it so.

That being said, I want to go back...because of good memories. I think about it daily, because of good memories.

However, when they complicate or dilute the experience so much that it doesn't stand up to memory (stares coldly at Futureworld at Epcot), even recent memories, all while increasing cost, it becomes far less of a "value".

pheneix

I love how Disney, TODAY in both Orlando and Anaheim, is basically refusing to sell Premier APs or issue renewals because of the mega "screw you!" price increase coming tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the guest relations office I visited today only renewed my pass because they were completely unawares that new pricing was coming into effect until I showed up. The computers were "locking out" and "refusing to sell this type of pass" for unknown reasons for about half an hour until a manager just overrode everything and sold me a pass and got me on my way.

lentesta

Premium Member
Now that 2013 price increases are in, we can look at trends at this beautiful ticket called "Magic Your Way", introduced in 2005 which, coincidentally, was Iger's first year as CEO.

In 2005, an adult 7-day base MYW ticket cost $199. In 8 years, the price is now $309, a total increase of 55.3% or about 5.7% compounded annually. Prices (with increases) along that way:

2005: $199
2006: $210 (5.5%)
2007: $219 (4.1%)
2008: $228 (4.1%)
2009: $234 (2.6%)
2010: $247 (5.6%)
2011: $267 (8.1%)
2012: $288 (7.9%)
2013: $309 (7.3%)

Iger talks a lot about "pricing leverage". In recent years, you can see he really means it.

The "no expiration" option has been hit hardest. What once was a staple of WDW, included for "free" with all multiday park tickets throughout much of its history, clearly has been targeted for eventual elimination. On a 10-day ticket, the ticket most commonly bought with the "no expiration" option, the price has increased from $100 in 2005 to $325 in 2013. That's a 225% price increase in only 8 years.

That's not "Magic My Way"; that's "Magic Disney's Way".

Mind if I quote you on this? If it's okay, drop me a line (len at touringplans) with your details (e.g., Parent of 4 from Lake Woebegone, Saskatoon). Thanks.

WDWDad13

As much as I don't like this, maybe they are planning to use the added profit to make some new additions to the park.

I know that's very optimistic thinking these days but you never know.

they better and big time... or this trend is going to cause a lot of middle class families to cut back on Disney trips over their lifetime if it's not a lot of new/changes and big new/changes

lego606

MagicBandit
Since both parks will have Potter stuff come next year, that's no longer an option.

So UNI is charging more for both parks than AK, Epcot and DHS? Interesting.

They can stick a gate around Potter if they so desire. Kinda like Hogwarts Express.
------
I think that $1 price increase is rather indicative that they no longer have confidence in their other 3 parks.

captainkidd

Now that 2013 price increases are in, we can look at trends at this beautiful ticket called "Magic Your Way", introduced in 2005 which, coincidentally, was Iger's first year as CEO.

In 2005, an adult 7-day base MYW ticket cost $199. In 8 years, the price is now $309, a total increase of 55.3% or about 5.7% compounded annually. Prices (with increases) along that way:

Iger talks a lot about "pricing leverage". In recent years, you can see he really means it.

The "no expiration" option has been hit hardest. What once was a staple of WDW, included for "free" with all multiday park tickets throughout much of its history, clearly has been targeted for eventual elimination. On a 10-day ticket, the ticket most commonly bought with the "no expiration" option, the price has increased from $100 in 2005 to $325 in 2013. That's a 225% price increase in only 8 years.

AP's are going up another $35. :rolleyes:

Our trip is booked and paid for this summer. We've never been to Disneyland, so we're going to do that next summer. After that, we'll be done with Disney for quite some time. And I don't say that in a bitter "I'm ed off at them" way. We simply can't handle the prices for tickets anymore. Resort prices are astronomical as is, but for a family of 5 to go to Disney for a week (with park hopping or any extras, and not including taxes) is over $1,500 just for tickets.

We live in a messed up world. The bar between inflation/cost of living and what as a society how much money we make is getting further and further apart. Sadly, it's only a matter of time until the economy and market just can't stand it anymore and both completely collapse.

djlaosc

So you're suggesting that the 300 million of us living in the United States should move to the U.K. so we can get "free dining"? I hope you have a spare room in your house.;)

Nope, just that it might not be going anywhere soon...

Of course, we (the UK) "need" free dining, because our exchange rate is falling against the dollar, so even without price increases, our holidays are already more expensive than they were, and so "free food" helps to counter that. Of course, I use "need" because we don't actually need it (but it helps with cancel out the exchange rate drop), and "free food", because I know that it's not actually free.

So, even if it stops for the US, it may stick around for us, at least for a while longer.

Of course, I think there are less flights going from the UK to Florida now, and we can always be replaced by a Brazilian... ;)

devoy1701

Any news on what AP's are increasing to?

Our trip is booked and paid for this summer. We've never been to Disneyland, so we're going to do that next summer. After that, we'll be done with Disney for quite some time. And I don't say that in a bitter "I'm ed off at them" way. We simply can't handle the prices for tickets anymore. Resort prices are astronomical as is, but for a family of 5 to go to Disney for a week (with park hopping or any extras, and not including taxes) is over $1,500 just for tickets.

We live in a messed up world. The bar between inflation/cost of living and what as a society how much money we make is getting further and further apart. Sadly, it's only a matter of time until the economy and market just can't stand it anymore and both completely collapse.

Non-FL Residents: Standard AP: $609 regardless of age
Non-FL Residents: Premium AP: $729 regardless of age

FL Residents: Seasonal AP: $309 regardless of age
FL Residents: Standard AP: $464 regardless of age
FL Residents: Premium AP: $584 regardless of age

When we first started buying Seasonal APs, i think they were about $249 a year with a renewal rate of $219 back in 2007. APs were about $50 more.

Nemo14

Since becoming "empty nesters" a few years ago, my husband and I have gone the 10 day hopper/no expiration route, and it has worked well for us. We only use a few days per year, so 10 days lasts us a few years. This year we spent a lot more time in FL (6 weeks this past winter as well as a week in Sepember, a week in December, and a week in May), but still only went into the parks for 3 or 4 days (including the days we only went to MNSSHP and MVMCP). With nothing new to entice us to go more often, and frankly the dumbing down and poor maintenance of the attractions, we chose to spend our time and money in other places, and enjoyed them immensely. With the new ticket prices and the ridiculous fee for "no expiration", I don't see us ever purchasing the 10 day option again. Sorry Disney, it's been fun, thanks for the memories.

Darth Tater

I love how Disney, TODAY in both Orlando and Anaheim, is basically refusing to sell Premier APs or issue renewals because of the mega "screw you!" price increase coming tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the guest relations office I visited today only renewed my pass because they were completely unawares that new pricing was coming into effect until I showed up. The computers were "locking out" and "refusing to sell this type of pass" for unknown reasons for about half an hour until a manager just overrode everything and sold me a pass and got me on my way.
That's just low, even for the Iger era. Very dirty way to play, Disney.

captainkidd

Non-FL Residents: Standard AP: $609 regardless of age
Non-FL Residents: Premium AP: $729 regardless of age

FL Residents: Seasonal AP: $309 regardless of age
FL Residents: Standard AP: $464 regardless of age
FL Residents: Premium AP: $584 regardless of age

When we first started buying Seasonal APs, i think they were about $249 a year with a renewal rate of $219 back in 2007. APs were about $50 more.

Yeah, I just found the link. They went up $35. I get that Disney has 4 parks and Universal just 2, but Disney AP's cost 3x as much as Universal's. That might be explainable if Universal wasn't spending so much money and opening up so much in the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

What's everyone complaining about, the 7.3% is less than the last 2 years;). I mean you all got 7.3% pay increases this year right...what's the problem;)

Seriously, 10 pages so far and only 1 defender of the increases. These threads annually turn into a big argument with people on both sides. That is pretty telling when considering a tipping point. People may still buy tickets and still go, but almost nobody considers this justified.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah, I just found the link. They went up $35. I get that Disney has 4 parks and Universal just 2, but Disney AP's cost 3x as much as Universal's. That might be explainable if Universal wasn't spending so much money and opening up so much in the parks.

Please forgive me as I wave my magical bracelet in your face.

Did you know that maybe by 2017, Snow White will be able to call my kid by her name without asking? Not to mention that I will be able to order food at Be Our Guest on the interwebz well before my trip! Take THAT Universal!

Yeesh, and you think Disney isn't all about the Guest experience? n00b...

<runs away quickly>

captainkidd

Only thing left to say is.......

ronburgundy.jpeg

You stay classy Iger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom