New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So when Avatar opens in 4 years (ha!), will the 1-day ticket to DAK be the same as MK's? Or will it still be perceived (and evidently marketed) as an inferior park?

Also, I wonder how/if the pricing might affect the long-rumo(u)red expansion to DHS. It's as if Disney's admitting the park isn't up to snuff, so perhaps it makes the expansion seem less necessary. After all, its one-day ticket is priced accordingly.

Since the one-day ticket is such an uncommon option (I mean really, how many people buy a one-day ticket to DHS or DAK?), I really don't understand why they created the MK + the Other Parks pricing for a ticket that is probably not purchased all that much. Other than giving a black eye to the other parks (and indirectly giving points to Universal), I don't see what was accomplished.
I think you nailed the real reason. If virtually nobody buys AK or DHS 1 day tickets then it doesn't matter if it is $95, $105 or $125. Nobody buys it. If someone buys a 1 day ticket at WDW it's probably used at MK the vast majority of the time. Now they can average the 1 day price at all 4 parks and say its lower on average than Universal.

articos

Also, the DL hikes are just as ludicrous. Parking is up to $16 in CA, and an AP block-out day ticket, which was $30 just a year or two ago, is now $86. And that's AFTER you've already bought an annual pass. One park, one day, $92. One day hopper, $137. And since none of the AP's come with parking except for the Premium, the cheapest Southern California Resident Annual Pass with parking is now $400, which is within a decent distance of the Premium at $669. I don't see why people would buy the cheapest AP's any longer in CA.

articos

I think we all underestimate how many ppl buy one day tickets. There are a lot of US residents who visit central Florida for various reasons who go to visit Disney for a day.
Correct. There still are a lot of people who do not have time for "the Disney vacation" (or cannot afford it) who only take a couple days in Central FL, stay in Kissimmee or I-Drive, or maybe are there for a convention. They go buy a one-day ticket to the Magic Kingdom and that's it.

I want to know how Disney's going to enforce this, though. It's going to create guest satisfaction problems, when the guest who doesn't specify their park, or maybe changes their mind, goes to the gates and is told they have go back to the ticket booths or GR to pay $5. That's not going to start their vacation day off well. I'd expect this may not last more than a year or two before equalizing out again in a future price increase.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we all underestimate how many ppl buy one day tickets. There are a lot of US residents who visit central Florida for various reasons who go to visit Disney for a day.
The interesting stat would be how many are used at MK. If that number is disproportionately large, which I am hypothesizing it is, then the MK $5 premium makes good business sense.

Animaniac93-98

I remember seeing both after 4pm and after 2pm tickets advertised at the Boardwalk. Are these for every park and everyone, or just to registered corporate groups?

lego606

MagicBandit
Also, the DL hikes are just as ludicrous. Parking is up to $16 in CA, and an AP block-out day ticket, which was $30 just a year or two ago, is now $86. And that's AFTER you've already bought an annual pass. One park, one day, $92. One day hopper, $137. And since none of the AP's come with parking except for the Premium, the cheapest Southern California Resident Annual Pass with parking is now $400, which is within a decent distance of the Premium at $669. I don't see why people would buy the cheapest AP's any longer in CA.

They don't want those cheap passes being sold anymore. They're cutting down the AP throngs in Cali

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just remember what Walt said. "It was all started by a Duck"

scroogemcduckgood.jpg

TalkingHead

I think you nailed the real reason. If virtually nobody buys AK or DHS 1 day tickets then it doesn't matter if it is $95, $105 or $125. Nobody buys it. If someone buys a 1 day ticket at WDW it's probably used at MK the vast majority of the time. Now they can average the 1 day price at all 4 parks and say its lower on average than Universal.

Which is precisely why it makes so little sense to separate MK from the rest of the parks.

If you're selling *relatively* few one-day tickets to DHS and DAK, then why create the perception that they are lesser parks than MK.

And when would Disney ever brag that the "average" 1-day price at all four parks is lower than Universal?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which is precisely why it makes so little sense to separate MK from the rest of the parks.

If you're selling *relatively* few one-day tickets to DHS and DAK, then why create the perception that they are lesser parks than MK.

And when would Disney ever brag that the "average" 1-day price at all four parks is lower than Universal?
I think it's basic economics that you charge more for a product with greater demand.

Disney wouldn't do it to brag about lower prices. Universal wants to keep their prices in line WDW. By creating the lower average price they keep Universal from raising prices as much. That would be the reason to do it. In an extreme example if WDW cut prices say 10% it would be devestating to Universal.

Avenger117

Yeah, we buy a one day ticket about once a year. My mom lives in Tampa so when we visit we usually go over to Disney for a day, but don't have the time for a Disney vacation.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I love how Disney, TODAY in both Orlando and Anaheim, is basically refusing to sell Premier APs or issue renewals because of the mega "screw you!" price increase coming tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the guest relations office I visited today only renewed my pass because they were completely unawares that new pricing was coming into effect until I showed up. The computers were "locking out" and "refusing to sell this type of pass" for unknown reasons for about half an hour until a manager just overrode everything and sold me a pass and got me on my way.

I renewed my Premier that expires in early July at DTD this morning about 11:30AM at the 2012 price, no questions or issues at all. I was in and out in under 15 min once I got up to the counter (long line for random things).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom