New 2013 WDW Ticket Prices

Goofyernmost

As of right now though, the price hike for Universal is well justified. Right now, Universal is killing it with these announcements. Right now, Disney is hiking prices for almost nothing, especially when compared to Universal.
If you can tell me that once Uni stops spending money they will stop having increases in ticket prices, I would say that had some relevance, but, you know as well as I do that both will play off each other. If Disney raises rates, so will Uni and If Uni raises prices, so will Disney. Kind of a passive aggressive price fixing deal.:)

Californian Elitist

If you can tell me that once Uni stops spending money they will stop having increases in ticket prices, I would say that had some relevance, but, you know as well as I do that both will play off each other. If Disney raises rates, so will Uni and If Uni raises prices, so will Disney. Kind of a passive aggressive price fixing deal.:)

Fair enough, but we'll see who will be adding more at the time as well.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If they spent the money on things that will keep you coming back for some period of time.. that's all they needed to do :) Immersing myself in The Simpsons... or Diagon Alley sure sounds a lot more enticing than Gastons or tangled toilets.
I like that name... It sounds like some kind of twisted quest.

lego606

MagicBandit
When you don't add anything to those parks or promote them in national ads, what do they really expect?

That's the problem. They're no longer saying their 4 parks are equal, something they've refused to say for 30 years. Instead of trying to get the other gates up to par, they're willing to make those gates less.

captainkidd

When UNI follows suit, and they will, please come back and rant how they are screwing us over. The percentage will be the same.

I'm not going to get into this debate, but at least with Universal, you can see why they are raising prices. To try and compare what WDW has done over the past few years with what Universal has done (and is still doing) is a joke.

captainkidd

Universal is expanding and adding quality attractions.

Disney added a glorified M&G, two eateries, one cloned ride (which looks like Nemo to me), and one original coaster to open up still.

I can handle the justification for the increase at Universal.

Exactly.

captainkidd

A few points here:

1.An annual pass to Universal with no blackout dates is about the same price as a 6 day park hopper at WDW.
2.When you stay at one of Universal's resorts (which are far less expensive and just as nice as Disney's), you get the greatest perk in any theme park - Unlimited Express.
3.I don't see Universal stopping anytime soon. They've been going like this since 1999, adding new attractions, restaurants, experiences. And honestly, I can't think of any instance where they've missed the mark. Disney, in what little it has done in the last decade, has missed the mark more times than they've hit it.

I'm not saying WDW isn't great. It is. But being honest, it's much more about nostalgia than anything else. And that's fine. I love nostalgia and it's why I love Disney. But you can't compare Disney to Universal when it comes to new attractions and new areas. It's not even close. You can tell, Disney has taken the cheaper route. Universal has spent a fortune.

ParentsOf4

When you stay at one of Universal's resorts (which are far less expensive and just as nice as Disney's), you get the greatest perk in any theme park - Unlimited Express.
The unlimited Express Pass cannot be beat. WDW has nothing like it. The Uni Express Pass makes it possible to actually vacation while at Uni vs. having to do WDW commando style and arriving home more tired than when you left.

Uni Preferred AP holders also often get steep room discounts. With these discounts, a room at a Uni Deluxe Resort often is less than a room at a WDW Moderate Resort.

I enjoy WDW resorts but, for what they are, they are so expensive. They weren't always like that. Just like ticket and food prices, WDW resort prices really have climbed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The first DL ticket sold... How I wish things could be the same now.

repro_disneyland_ticket_web.jpg

Check with @ParentsOf4, he might have a stack of those in his vault too. When I break in I'll share the DL tickets with you if you provide me a good alibi in case he gets suspicious;).

Ciciwoowoo

My family will continue to pay the prices Disney demands because we love it. We will not go every year, or every other year, though. We may make it once every 5 years, in order to justify the expense.

We will not be able to spend the same amount on food and various other things that we would in the past, to make up for the increases. We will be driving instead of flying, so that we have our car with us. This will allow us to drive off site and have reasonably priced meals. We will also pack our lunches as many times as we can to avoid the $10 hamburgers.

So yes, this price increase is doable. But that doesn't mean Disney is going to get one more dime from us. We will just have to be more careful about our planning. In fact, our future Disney trips may be cheaper than ever!

Oh, I'd like to thank @WDW1974 for the heads up on the steep price increase. I made sure to purchase our tickets this year as soon as I got our tax refund. I am quite happy that I did!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not going to get into this debate, but at least with Universal, you can see why they are raising prices. To try and compare what WDW has done over the past few years with what Universal has done (and is still doing) is a joke.

It is pretty glaring to compare, but in Disney's not so distant past WDW expanded at a pace just as fast as the current Uni pace without the insane price increases each year. Sure ticket prices went up, but not at the rates they currently are. Uni will increase prices as much as they can too. They are probably only held back by WDW at this point. People are going to arrive to see Transformers and Potter 2.0 even if the prices go up 10%+. In a way they are actually missing out on potential profits, but I think they feel they need to stay in line with Disney prices.

The one area that really stands out is the locals scene. The AP comparisons are night and day. Disney really focuses on tourists staying for 5 to 10 day stretches. Universal still values the day tripper and the locals.

RSoxNo1

Ah, like clockwork. The summer increase. You know they're proud of it because it gets announced on a Saturday afternoon, hoping no one reports on it come Monday.

I guess it means I need to stupidly call and renew my AP, which expires later this month, before it jumps and I have to bring letters to guest relations to get the money rebated.

As to folks who will view this as Disney saying 'the MK is worth more' what the reality is is that the market and most non-Disney nuts will view it as 'the other parks are worth less' ... And it is a very BAD precedent for Disney.

I'm not going to get into the debate on whether Disney is worth what they charge. I am sure the next 176 pages will discuss that.

A few things also seem clear like Disney absolutely doesn't want active ticket media out there floating around. They want you to use your tickets and leave and come back in a year and buy more, hence the premiums on media with no expiration. People forget that before Georgie K helped birth MAGIC Your Way Tickets in 2004 that there never were fuses on ticket media prior. From 1971-2004, your admission media was essentially good forever or as long as the place existed.

Not matching UNI on a one-day is showing tremendous weakness in their product, or that is how the analysts will see it. Leaping over UNI on one park just doesn't matter to them as much as it does fanbois.

Raising the price of the Premiere AP to $979 isn't a sign of anything more than they want to eliminate Bobs little bone for fanboys at the shareholder meetings a few years back. People have told me they have VERY few of them and many are the lifestyle bloggers and whores who use it to fly back and forth as often as they can. That price is getting to the level where many of them will have to beg, borrow and steal to buy, but it doesn't matter as they are the ones getting graft from Disney anyway and that includes free tickets whenever they are invited to either resort.
Not matching universal at Epcot, DHS and DAK tells me they've already concluded that they will be passed in attendance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh, I'd like to thank @WDW1974 for the heads up on the steep price increase. I made sure to purchase our tickets this year as soon as I got our tax refund. I am quite happy that I did!

I'll second that. I bought my tickets for my November trip a few months back based on that heads up. I knew that May/June was the price increase time, but I wanted to definitely make sure I got in paying last years prices. I owe the Spirit a Dole Whip;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom