Nemo ruined it! Bring back hydrolators!

WDWFREAK53

Here is my $.02

(Take it for what it's worth).

As far as The Living Seas is concerned...the new overlay does a good job of "educating" in a fun way. I remember going in as a kid...and just going in to see the fish and the dolphins. That's the only thing I ever got out of The Living Seas. I never "took anything away from it" (SSE on the other hand, is a different story). You guys can all sit here and say that The Living Seas was all about educating people about the oceans and undersea life...but the reality is, kids just look at the fish and say, "Oh, that one's pretty!"

Turtle Talk w/ Crush (even at 27) actually taught me something about turtles. I just came back and was with an 8 year old and a 5 year old...and those kids actually LEARNED something. "Boy turtles are born when the sand is cold and girl turtles are born when the sand is hot." Prior to seeing the show...I didn't know this...they didn't know this...but they do now. And, the best thing about it...we learned it together...in a very fun way! This experience is something I will never forget.

Walk around the "Shark" exhibit...and it's actually FUN reading about all of the sharks when there is a character overlay because now you can relate because you actually "feel" for a character...whereas a great white shark is scary...Bruce made the great-white a "likeable" character. Now, because we're interested in the character...the WANT to learn about him is greater. It takes away the boring drab "documentary" feel out of it. (The same info may have been in the original Seas...but I didn't know that a shark could sense a drop of blood in the ocean from a mile away).

The Nemo ride. I'll be honest...I wasn't that impressed. Is it cute? Yes. Does it teach you anything? No. Did the old SeaCabs teach you anything? No. It "drove" you through an aquarium...and it was short and boring. This does the same thing...but has an entire "themed show" before you get to that short drive-thru aquarium (and even that is "fun"). The show didn't impress me all that much because it was pretty much just a bunch of projected show-scenes with the characters saying, "NEMO! HAS ANYONE SEEN NEMO?!" (Very little dialogue). The angler fish part was short but pretty cool...and the Jellyfish part wasn't that great...but at least it mixed it up and wasn't just another projection screen.

The naysayers will always be there...but coming from a personal experience, I very much like what they have done with the Seas pavilion. I'll take kids and grown-ups coming in droves learning in a fun way over a few people stepping into the pavilion and kids and parents looking at the "pretty fishies" and then moving on...ANY day of the week.

Bravo Disney for making people actually walk into the Seas Pavilion and accomplishing what Walt would've wanted...a fun learning experience that will actually "stick" with it's visitors.

:sohappy:

tomm4004

Dr. Falls,

Excellent, well-paced satire. You bring it to a slow boil, show patience and resist the temptation to go over-the-top too quickly. My favourite line: "In the original Living Seas queue, visitors really felt like they were in an under-funded museum of oceanography history." When I finally ride the ride, I'm sure I'll chuckle thinking about your post. Thanks.

PintoColvig

Wow! What a ridiculously funny thread! I admit it: the OP fooled me at first. I finally got it with the Walt/documentary statement.

Now, my view...
For all of its pretentions, TLS was and is an aquarium. But since it debuted at Epcot in the mid-80s, there have been three world-class aquariums built within three hours of my home. The closest to me is far better than TLS. Yet, none of them have Nemo and my kids know it! The Clamobiles may not be educational in and of themselves but serve the function of "moving the cookies to the bottom shelf". Now that this new dark ride is there, the educational opportunities afforded by the Seas will be more readily received than it has been in a long time. From my perspective, the Nemo overlay seems to be the most natural fit that WDI has made in a long time.

Oh, and for those wanting more education with their vacation, I'm sure Orlando has a good library somewhere. :D

Shaman

Bravo Disney for making people actually walk into the Seas Pavilion and accomplishing what Walt would've wanted...a fun learning experience that will actually "stick" with it's visitors.

:sohappy:

Great post!!! I agree. Thanks for sharing! :sohappy:

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
Just so you guys know, there were two very different concepts for reviving the boring old Living Seas pavillion that didn't involve Nemo and would have blown you away. Unfortunatly management chose the cheaper nemo tie-in concept. I am currently trying to find out more information about these other proposals. Maybe Lee knows more?

wannab@dis

Just so you guys know, there were two very different concepts for reviving the boring old Living Seas pavillion that didn't involve Nemo and would have blown you away. Unfortunatly management chose the cheaper nemo tie-in concept. I am currently trying to find out more information about these other proposals. Maybe Lee knows more?
Are you ever happy with anything at WDW? I've yet to see a positive post from you. Why even go? :veryconfu

Shaman

Cool. I've been waiting for someone who disliked the changes to post alternatives to the Nemo "tie-in"....should be interesting.

*waits*

:D

wannab@dis

Can't we all just get along....:D
Why post stuff like this?
It's a legitimate discussion item for a discussion board. Look at the posting history and try to find something positive. Just a little would be nice. But since you won't find that much, it's a logical inquiry as to why someone would spend so much time on a fan board and visit a place they never have anything good to say about.

WDWFREAK53

It's a legitimate discussion item for a discussion board. Look at the posting history and try to find something positive. Just a little would be nice. But since you won't find that much, it's a logical inquiry as to why someone would spend so much time on a fan board and visit a place they never have anything good to say about.

Can't he just have his opinion...even if it is always negative?

Why do you need to call him out?

Who cares? Why do you care so much...you have done this in the past to other posters...I am inquiring about this.

There are many different types of "fans" of Disney...some are sticklers for the old-school...and will never like anything new. Some just go with the flow and let the new stuff come in and make judgments after they have experienced them...and some people ONLY like the new things.

Just stop calling people out because you feel that they are being Negative Nellies. It disrupts the entire flow of the thread...EVERY TIME. (And here I am in that disruption).

If it gets to a point where they are really bothering you...PM them. No need to call them out in public.

Now...back to the thread.

I highly enjoyed it :wave:

wannab@dis

Who cares? Why do you care so much...you have done this in the past to other posters...I am inquiring about this.

There are many different types of "fans" of Disney...some are sticklers for the old-school...and will never like anything new. Some just go with the flow and let the new stuff come in and make judgments after they have experienced them...and some people ONLY like the new things.

Just stop calling people out because you feel that they are being Negative Nellies. It disrupts the entire flow of the thread...EVERY TIME. (And here I am in that disruption).

If it gets to a point where they are really bothering you...PM them. No need to call them out in public.

Oh, I can't have my opinion nor ask questions because you see it as disruptive? I find the total negative and always complaining extremely disruptive and would like to know why they feel that way.

Why should anyone be censored for their opinion? I've never said the negative posts should be censored, but I do believe the question as to WHY is fair game. In all honestly, your post is much more disruptive than asking a simple question.

Why did you need to call me out? Intesting, huh?

:wave:

Shaman

Oh, I can't have my opinion nor ask questions because you see it as disruptive? I find the total negative and always complaining extremely disruptive and would like to know why they feel that way.

Why should anyone be censored for their opinion? I've never said the negative posts should be censored, but I do believe the question as to WHY is fair game. In all honestly, your post is much more disruptive than asking a simple question.

You ask the same questions in every thread like this, haven't they been answered hundreds of different ways already? :lol: Maybe ya'll should just agree to disagree and move on or something.

*shrug*

I'm not taking any sides (both sides are equall passionate about what they believe), it's just that these things don't help the general atmosphere on the boards.

PintoColvig

You ask the same questions in every thread like this, haven't they been answered hundreds of different ways already? :lol: Maybe ya'll should just agree to disagree and move on or something.

*shrug*

I'm not taking any sides (both sides are equall passionate about what they believe), it's just that these things don't help the general atmosphere on the boards.

Now, what were we talking about again?

wannab@dis

*shrug*

Gotcha...

So... it's OK to continually bash every decision and post MANY times in just this one thread that everything about the Seas changes sucks... but it's not OK to simply question the motive of so much negativity?

Just making sure I understand. :wave:

Shaman

Gotcha...

So... it's OK to continually bash every decision and post MANY times in just this one thread that everything about the Seas changes sucks... but it's not OK to simply question the motive of so much negativity?

Just making sure I understand. :wave:

:lol:

Trust me...for me it also gets annoying reading all the "negative" stuff...and it IS frustrating, I can understand your feelings on the matter....and I know we're not alone.

Maybe it's the tone and the manner in which BOTH SIDES attempt to "win" the debate.

I'm no one to say what is acceptable or not on 'magic'....it's just that we know where certain people stand on things and it doesn't seem like anything said will ever change that...so I guess just stating one's opinion is the best thing to do.

I don't know...

PintoColvig

I agree .. BRING BACK THE HYDROLATORS!!! lol

Seriously though, bring them back

Nah, they were an aggrivating addition for me, especially for the exit. I was always annoyed at having to wait for an elevator that went nowhere just so I could exit the building. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom