Nemo Musical first show review

Chape19714

Wish I had read this yesterday...I woke up at 8 with only 5 hours of sleep specifically to see the 10:00 show before work. Ah well :rolleyes:

The CMs at the door told me they were doing work with cranes...any idea what's going on exactly?
Possibly not cranes but Lifts used to move lighting fixtures. I know there are at least 2 electrics above the house not connected to the catwalk system. I however don't know if they can be lowered. If the answer is "no" then they would indeed need a lift to access the lights to move them and replace bulbs on them.

juan

I was at the 10 show yesterday and saw joe rhode and a bunch of others there to see it

it was an excellent show

TsWade2

I think I found out why they don't allowed you to take photos or video cam this show. It's not because it's an enclosed show, because this show wasn't really officially open yet until Janurary 2007. It happened when I was trying video cam Aladdin: The Musical Spectacular. I saw the show during the previews and they didn't want me to video cam it. But, when it's officially open, I can video cam it now. So, I think you need to wait for awhile for a complete video clip of Finding Nemo-The Musical. Trust me.:animwink:

wbboy29

Also note that we're dark Tuesday and Saturday. Plus we won't have 10am previews for the rest of the week. All will be in the afternoon.

Hey thanks for the info. I was planning to come see the 10am show on both Thur & Fri with some friends who hadn't seen it yet.

So have you heard what the new show times will be this week?

Theatre Divo

I'm not sure who told you that, but the show will indeed be shortened. It is already in the works and has been since last week. They first wanted it to be around 45 minutes long, but in order to get in the number of shows needed per day the show will have to cut at least 5 minutes.

Right now the show runs from 35 - 40 minutes. It needs to be down to 30 - 35.

Wow. BLIZZ sure seems to know a lot for someone who is not IN the show. I am. So, without fostering the rumor mill that so many "authorities" love to do on this board, I can tell you the following facts: The show ran 33 minutes on the button in the first 4 previews, and when we continue tomorrow, the show will have lengthened by approximately 90 seconds to two minutes, with the addition of some underscoring and dialogue to assist the frantic backstage traffic and multiple costume and puppet changes.

The show will continue previews today (Wed, Nov 8, at 12:30 pm and 3 pm) and Thursday Nov 9 at the same showtimes.

I personally want to thank the preview audiences thus far. There are two alternating casts: one performing and one observing. All of us: from those onstage to those sitting in the audience have been astonished by the reaction and were thrilled to see the show through the eyes of people who have never experienced this magical world that the creative team has given to WDW guests.

Thank you for making our first previews unforgettable.

Plutofan1

Wow. BLIZZ sure seems to know a lot for someone who is not IN the show. I am. So, without fostering the rumor mill that so many "authorities" love to do on this board, I can tell you the following facts: The show ran 33 minutes on the button in the first 4 previews, and when we continue tomorrow, the show will have lengthened by approximately 90 seconds to two minutes, with the addition of some underscoring and dialogue to assist the frantic backstage traffic and multiple costume and puppet changes.

The show will continue previews today (Wed, Nov 8, at 12:30 pm and 3 pm) and Thursday Nov 9 at the same showtimes.

I personally want to thank the preview audiences thus far. There are two alternating casts: one performing and one observing. All of us: from those onstage to those sitting in the audience have been astonished by the reaction and were thrilled to see the show through the eyes of people who have never experienced this magical world that the creative team has given to WDW guests.

Thank you for making our first previews unforgettable.

Will there be more shows when it opens on 11/19? Will it open on time?

Chape19714

I think I found out why they don't allowed you to take photos or video cam this show. It's not because it's an enclosed show, because this show wasn't really officially open yet until Janurary 2007. It happened when I was trying video cam Aladdin: The Musical Spectacular. I saw the show during the previews and they didn't want me to video cam it. But, when it's officially open, I can video cam it now. So, I think you need to wait for awhile for a complete video clip of Finding Nema-The Musical. Trust me.:animwink:
Nope, it's a perminant video ban. :wave:

If for safety reasons, and part of the perminant recording before the show. I've talked to a few CM's around that area and they all have claimed that it will remain banned past preview weeks.

jabead

Thanks for the info Theatre Divo. My family does not arrive at WDW until Friday and will only be there for 4 days. We definitely want to see the show so I'm wondering if you know the schedule for Friday or Sunday (I know there isn't a show on Saturday)? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

angelfaerie52

Also note that we're dark Tuesday and Saturday. Plus we won't have 10am previews for the rest of the week. All will be in the afternoon.

Do you know if it will be up for most of next week, too? I could probably go on Friday for 12:30, but my mother really wants to see the Luke and Laura Soap Opera thing at MGM...

Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers!

djn4882

review and feedback - 11/8 - 12:30pm

I saw the 11/8 - 12:30pm soft opening tech run, and 2 words came to mind: not surprised. I'm not surprised that Disney could create a show at such a high caliber of creativity, entertainment, effects, and overall production value. i was very delighted to find out that even though the composer of Avenue Q did the scoring, that the music didn't resemble Avenue Q's at all... the puppets were amazing, it really did feel like a Broadway production. Excellent aerial work, and overall completely involving the audience and enveloping them into the “Finding Nemo” world.

Just a few comments, suggestions, critiques, feedback to any creative team people reading this (b/c I know they do) AND I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE CONSIDERED SPOILERS (THAT'S WHY I AM CAPS-ING SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANNA KNOW ANYTHING MOVE ON):

(A) when the puppeteers separate from the puppets to sing, they get spotlighted as well as the puppets themselves. i thought it completely destroyed the focus being on the puppet characters instead of the puppeteers. I was confused as to whether I should be focusing on the actor because he’s the one singing, or on the puppet because it represents the main characters of the story. Especially at the end during the last duet between Marlin and Nemo. Something minor that also contributed to this problem was that the costumes drew attention to the actor. I know that in Avenue Q, the puppeteers wore all black, and that helped draw attention toward the puppet. When they were separated from the puppet, my attention stuck with the puppet, because they weren’t spotlighted. There was a distinct separation. So if you wanted the audience to focus on both the actor and the puppet, good job. Otherwise, people might be a lil confused.
(B) The pacing of the dialogue felt a lil rushed. I understand that this is meant for a theme park and not Broadway, and so a stricter time constraint is in place. I thought during the scenes when there was dialogue and no canned underscore, some of the dialogue, one-liners, quips, etc. could be drawn out and “hammed” up more. Obviously where the soundtrack is running, you don’t have an option, other than to cut some lines. The audience reaction to some of the jokes during my preview was minimal b/c I don’t think the audience had enough time to react before moving on. If you’re worried about the show being too long, I believe Aladdin at DCA runs around 40 min, and the audience when I saw it there was not phased by it being such a long show. I personally enjoy the longer shows, b/c I don’t like the shorter shows (BatB, Little Mermaid at MGM for example) condensing a 90 min story into 15 min. LMAX is around 40 and it seems just about right. So maybe give the dialogue w/ no underscore some more time for the audience to react.
(C) During the EAC scene with Crush, his vocal was getting buried by the sound track. His dialogue and singing wasn’t being understood clearly.
(D) Maybe something to look into with some of the other shows (BatB) at the parks as well as Nemo, maybe hiring a live rhythm section to play along with the tracks during the shows. It would give it more of a Broadway feel (by adding a pit orchestra). Also, it would open up more jobs for professional musicians. I’m a music educator/semi-pro drummer/percussionist, and would love the idea of playing at Disney during the summers. I’m also a big fan of Broadway, so that would be a perfect fit. Just a suggestion.

I hope these comments were helpful. I wanted to give you the perspective of an average park guest, as well as someone who has a music degree (Belmont University – Nashville, TN, BM 2004) overall, an excellent show, I look forward to more productions like this in other Disney Parks!

Chape19714

I saw the 11/8 - 12:30pm soft opening tech run, and 2 words came to mind: not surprised. I'm not surprised that Disney could create a show at such a high caliber of creativity, entertainment, effects, and overall production value. i was very delighted to find out that even though the composer of Avenue Q did the scoring, that the music didn't resemble Avenue Q's at all... the puppets were amazing, it really did feel like a Broadway production. Excellent aerial work, and overall completely involving the audience and enveloping them into the “Finding Nemo” world.

Just a few comments, suggestions, critiques, feedback to any creative team people reading this (b/c I know they do) AND I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WOULD BE CONSIDERED SPOILERS (THAT'S WHY I AM CAPS-ING SO IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT AND DON'T WANNA KNOW ANYTHING MOVE ON):

(A) when the puppeteers separate from the puppets to sing, they get spotlighted as well as the puppets themselves. i thought it completely destroyed the focus being on the puppet characters instead of the puppeteers. I was confused as to whether I should be focusing on the actor because he’s the one singing, or on the puppet because it represents the main characters of the story. Especially at the end during the last duet between Marlin and Nemo. Something minor that also contributed to this problem was that the costumes drew attention to the actor. I know that in Avenue Q, the puppeteers wore all black, and that helped draw attention toward the puppet. When they were separated from the puppet, my attention stuck with the puppet, because they weren’t spotlighted. There was a distinct separation. So if you wanted the audience to focus on both the actor and the puppet, good job. Otherwise, people might be a lil confused.
(B) The pacing of the dialogue felt a lil rushed. I understand that this is meant for a theme park and not Broadway, and so a stricter time constraint is in place. I thought during the scenes when there was dialogue and no canned underscore, some of the dialogue, one-liners, quips, etc. could be drawn out and “hammed” up more. Obviously where the soundtrack is running, you don’t have an option, other than to cut some lines. The audience reaction to some of the jokes during my preview was minimal b/c I don’t think the audience had enough time to react before moving on. If you’re worried about the show being too long, I believe Aladdin at DCA runs around 40 min, and the audience when I saw it there was not phased by it being such a long show. I personally enjoy the longer shows, b/c I don’t like the shorter shows (BatB, Little Mermaid at MGM for example) condensing a 90 min story into 15 min. LMAX is around 40 and it seems just about right. So maybe give the dialogue w/ no underscore some more time for the audience to react.
(C) During the EAC scene with Crush, his vocal was getting buried by the sound track. His dialogue and singing wasn’t being understood clearly.
(D) Maybe something to look into with some of the other shows (BatB) at the parks as well as Nemo, maybe hiring a live rhythm section to play along with the tracks during the shows. It would give it more of a Broadway feel (by adding a pit orchestra). Also, it would open up more jobs for professional musicians. I’m a music educator/semi-pro drummer/percussionist, and would love the idea of playing at Disney during the summers. I’m also a big fan of Broadway, so that would be a perfect fit. Just a suggestion.

I hope these comments were helpful. I wanted to give you the perspective of an average park guest, as well as someone who has a music degree (Belmont University – Nashville, TN, BM 2004) overall, an excellent show, I look forward to more productions like this in other Disney Parks!

I'm not being argumentative, but wanted to give my feedback on the 4 points you made above. :wave:

A-I completely enjoyed the removal of the puppets during a few scenes. It was really a wake-up and a "Stop looking at the cute and really get the point of the story". Nemo is a very good and emotional story, some expressions are better received when it's happening to Humans, not fish. I really thought it was a great Artistic touch.

B-I think it only seems rushed because it's human nature to compare the scenes to the movie's. If there wasn't a movie, I don't honestly think it would feel that way.

C-Didn't have that issue. Possibly a tech. issue, or an intermittent microphone.

D-As good of an idea as that is, one word: Budget. Those musicians are needed much more at Epcot for Off Kilter, Rose and Crown Pianist, Candlelight Processional, Animal Kingdom as drummers in parades and street shows, as well as MK's own Main street Philharmonic and the Fantasyland Woodwind, not to mention the Tomorrowland Band. I'd rather have more shows than have less shows just to introduce something that is just fine recorded.

Just from a Guest/Technical Theater perspective. :wave:

TsWade2

Nope, it's a perminant video ban. :wave:

If for safety reasons, and part of the perminant recording before the show. I've talked to a few CM's around that area and they all have claimed that it will remain banned past preview weeks.
But, that's what I said! They can't do video caming during the previews. You can video cam it when it's a officially open.

indigo

Best show currently running at a Disney Theme Park

Wanted to say how much I enjoy this show. Although you can't videotape the show or take photos during the performance, they didn't say anything about audio recordings. I have recordings of the first two shows attached to this post on my blog if you want to check them out.

By my recording the first two shows clocked in at nearly 34.5 minutes. The third act needs some work (Dory and Marlin's separation (or lack thereof) and the Dory, Marlin, Nemo reunion comes to immediate mind). I would like to see more of Michael Curry's marvelous Puppets. I understand why most of the emotional arcs of Dory and Nemo have been removed, been removed, but I would like to see some put back in. Just a few lines of dialogue, that's all I ask.

But what is up there is great. The talent involved in acting, singing, and dancing, all while operating a puppet is incredible. Both casts pulled it off amazingly well.

I'm sad there aren't any shows this Saturday as that means i won't be seeing the show for another week. (I can't make it to the park on Sunday.) Have they changed their minds by any chance?

I totally agree that they'll need to have both casts running doing 5 shows during the week and 7 shows Fri-Sun. Hopefully they'll extend the park hours past 6pm and add one more show that way too. At 1700 guests a show it will be important to show up early to get in, and only a third to half of the park will experience the show each day.

To any Cast Members who are reading, please know you are doing an amazing job. This is easily the best Disney Theme Park Stage show since Disneyland's Hunchback of Notre Dame: Festival of Fools. (If you saw that show you know what a compliment that is.) I fully expect Nemo to be on Broadway in the next 3 years in an expanded form of the current show.

Blizz

But, that's what I said! They can't do video caming during the previews. You can video cam it when it's a officially open.

You are not supposed to video tape any Disney attraction. It would just be impossible to stop everyone so they let it go on most rides and in most shows, however, Nemo falls under a different arrangement. There are tons of copyrights with a show and I guess Disney has made the choice to not allow video taping during shows even beyond the preview days.

indigo

Actually, copyright only applies to what you do with a video tape. You can't sell it or show it commercially without potentially violating copyright (although Disney seems to be taking a different approach when it comes to fan dvds... they're hands-off right now). Copyright doesn't prevent you from the act of videotaping. Theater/ThemePark rules do that.

Actor's unions are usually the ones that require theaters prohibit video taping of shows. Since it is the live performance where the actor earns there money. They don't want you to relive the experience at home when you could be shelling out for new tickets.

At Disneyland they interpret this to be 'no professional videos are allowed'. How do they determine what's a professional video? The use of a tripod. I'd recommend WDW adapt this same policy. Fan videos only serve to get other fans more excited about seeing the real thing. It played a big part in turning both coasts Hunchback shows into successes.

Blizz

Actually, copyright only applies to what you do with a video tape. You can't sell it or show it commercially without potentially violating copyright (although Disney seems to be taking a different approach when it comes to fan dvds... they're hands-off right now). Copyright doesn't prevent you from the act of videotaping. Theater/ThemePark rules do that.

Actor's unions are usually the ones that require theaters prohibit video taping of shows. Since it is the live performance where the actor earns there money. They don't want you to relive the experience at home when you could be shelling out for new tickets.

At Disneyland they interpret this to be 'no professional videos are allowed'. How do they determine what's a professional video? The use of a tripod. I'd recommend WDW adapt this same policy. Fan videos only serve to get other fans more excited about seeing the real thing. It played a big part in turning both coasts Hunchback shows into successes.

Never the less, Disney will be looking for anyone taking pictures and video and you will be told to put your cameras away or you will be escourted from the theatre.

D-As good of an idea as that is, one word: Budget. Those musicians are needed much more at Epcot for Off Kilter, Rose and Crown Pianist, Candlelight Processional, Animal Kingdom as drummers in parades and street shows, as well as MK's own Main street Philharmonic and the Fantasyland Woodwind, not to mention the Tomorrowland Band. I'd rather have more shows than have less shows just to introduce something that is just fine recorded.

Just from a Guest/Technical Theater perspective. :wave:

I agree 100% that it is a budget issue (though the examples you suggest relate more to a lack of supply, which there is not). It is unfortunate that live accompaniment is not used, though the rest of the production sounds great. This is only amplified given the debacle B'way had with eliminating musicians a couple years back. I haven't seen the show but I am certain that though it may be "just fine" without it, nothing can replace the impact of a live orchestra on a production (and I've heard the latest attempts at doing so).

Pongo

Just thought I'd say that I love this show. Certainly the best and most powerful show Disney has come up with in recent history. The puppetry and music is amazing, and the actors/actresses are just as great. Definitely a must see.

TsWade2

I'm not going to like this idea about ban video caming the show I am dying to see since I'm in California! ERRRRRRRRRRRR!:fork: I hope it won't happen on Disneyland's Fantasyland Theatre!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom