Negative Friends and Family?

britdaw

Original Poster
Do you get a lot of negativity out of your friends and family when you talk about your trips to Disney World? 'Cause it seems like out of a lot of people, that's all we've encountered... I don't know, maybe people are sick of me talking about it, but I can't help it; I'm so excited!!
I have had friends and family members roll their eyes and outright tell me "I wouldn't spend so much money on one vacation, but that's just me." They feel like we're spoiling our kids with all that we plan to do on their first trip. Well yeah, we're doing a LOT but it's because we have a LOT to celebrate! It will be their first trip, our 10 year anniversary, my 30th birthday, and we are also celebrating my husband coming back home from his first deployment.
Sometimes I feel like just telling people to kiss where the sun doesn't shine when they start bashing our trip or raining on our parade, so to speak. What about you?

Rowdy

Yes! Especially on this website.

But oh well, that's where you do what makes yourself happy. Go have a good time, forget other people. :D

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Yes but I don't let it bother me!

I find that there is no way to explain it to people who have never been and hey, that's one less family booking an ADR I want or standing in front of me in line :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::sohappy:

wilkeliza

Yes we get this all the time. My boyfriend's family can't understand why as an adult he wants to go to Disney all the time. His brother actually called him out on it and in return I fought back with "Why do you spend so much time obsessing about football and going out of your way to go to games?". I always remind people that this is something I enjoy and that they have no right to judge as long as I'm not hurting anyone. Typically I have fount that when you point out everyone is different and that it hurts you that they judge so much over something this little they shut up about it.

macsmom

I guess I am a lucky one. I actually have people coming to me asking for help in planning their trip! Not that I'm an expert, but they want to go and I have been. My friends have gotten to the point of asking how long til my next trip.

danna
(Originally from Ft. Campbell. Nice to meet you! :wave: )

nc_disneyfreak

i get this all the time lol

great thread topic by the way~
I get this all the time...i took my family for our first trip in april of 2010 and for about a yr up to that, we were all talking about it, planning our ADRs, planning each day out according to EMHs etc...our friends and family just seemed a bit "put off" by it...they seemed happy but it didnt feel right lol....were not well off by any means, we are trying to go every 2 yrs with a beach trip in between etc...(myrtle beach or charleston), for disney, we book a yr in advance, throw down the initial 200 bucks and every week put in 50, 30 or even just 20 bucks towards the trip so we work our butts off lol....but i think when people who arent in the know, their first inclination is to think, "well thats just too much money", almost like a why are you going again?? I put our daily schedule of what park well be in, the hours and any ADRs we have, on the fridge and when our family of friends see it, they are like "really"? i hate to say it but could it be a jealous thing? i hope not...i try and give tips, and insight on how to save money when you at WDW and they seem to take notice, but dont really follow through....i dont know, its my familys happy place and in 70 days well be checking in for a 8 day party in the world! happy travels everyone....

71dsp

I guess I am a lucky one. I actually have people coming to me asking for help in planning their trip! Not that I'm an expert, but they want to go and I have been.

This is my experience as well. We're far from trip experts, but many people at work have asked for advice. :) I'm more than happy to give it since it reminds me of our past Disney trips!

wendysue

I know what you mean. The only one that knows about our next trip besides us, is the mailman. He thinks it is great how many things come to our address from WDW. Of course, that is probably a little job security for him....:ROFLOL:

But when it comes to coworkers(i work at a school and going during a break), friends and family, they won't even know we are gone. If someone calls, we will just answer the cell phone, (probably by the pool with some sort of drink in hand, tell them "Nope, we aren't doing anything right now" and laugh when the call is over as we jump in the pool or head to Downtown Disney.

Or maybe we will just start posting cool pictures from the trip and let them figure it out. Either way we will have a GREAT time and they will be stuck in Northern Illinois!

Disneydreamer23

ugh yes!! my mom loves Disney as much as me so she enjoys talking about it my friend and people at work HATE when i talk about Disney they say I act like a child and I need to grow up but I feel sorry for them BC when I'm at Disney i have the time of my life

Banksy

Do you get a lot of negativity out of your friends and family when you talk about your trips to Disney World? 'Cause it seems like out of a lot of people, that's all we've encountered... I don't know, maybe people are sick of me talking about it, but I can't help it; I'm so excited!!
I have had friends and family members roll their eyes and outright tell me "I wouldn't spend so much money on one vacation, but that's just me." They feel like we're spoiling our kids with all that we plan to do on their first trip. Well yeah, we're doing a LOT but it's because we have a LOT to celebrate! It will be their first trip, our 10 year anniversary, my 30th birthday, and we are also celebrating my husband coming back home from his first deployment.
Sometimes I feel like just telling people to kiss where the sun doesn't shine when they start bashing our trip or raining on our parade, so to speak. What about you?

I get the same! I live in england and the rest of my family haven't been to America, let alone florida. They roll their eyes and are like "It can't be that great! You're going there again!" It's like... YOU'VE NEVER EVEN BEEN SO SHUT THE FUDGE UP! :D My cousin told me we should grow up and go see different places and explore the world....She goes to places like tenneriffe and spain every year.... Probably just jealousy. I feel like i can't talk about it to my friends. They only want to talk about stuff that involves them in their lives.

I think part of it is jealousy. Who cares! If they don't enjoy it, or can be happy for you, shove 'em! :king:

I think my parents get annoyed. The first time I went to Disney I was 32. After I got married my in-laws treated us to a trip. It was their first time and bought DVC so that we could take family trips. We get to go every couple of years. I think my parents think it is ridiculous that we go so often...but hey we don't pay for lodging and my in-laws help pay for the kids tickets so I feel we don't pay as much as they think. If they did not do this we would not be going. The time we get to spend with the kids at such a fun place is priceless. They absolutely LOVE it.

I find that there are many people that I know who are negative as well. They don't get why we go to Walt Disney World all the time as there is a "whole world out there to see". We just tell them that we are trying to see the whole world, all of Walt Disney World. We then remind them we don't tell them how to spend their vacations, so please stop telling us how to spend ours.

nc_disneyfreak

one other thing

to the people who say, "theres a whole world to see" or you should go to italy, or spain, germany etc....tell them i can visit a dozen countries in one day.....epcot baby!!!

wdwmomof3

I guess I am a lucky one. I actually have people coming to me asking for help in planning their trip! Not that I'm an expert, but they want to go and I have been. My friends have gotten to the point of asking how long til my next trip.

danna
(Originally from Ft. Campbell. Nice to meet you! :wave: )

Me too and I love to help because I remember my first trip and how overwhelmed I was the first day. If I can help anyone avoid that feeling I will.

to the people who say, "theres a whole world to see" or you should go to italy, or spain, germany etc....tell them i can visit a dozen countries in one day.....epcot baby!!!

I get that from my stepdad who has traveled all over the world. The thing is, I have no desire to go to those places. One day maybe, but for now I am very happy to spend my vacation time at Disney.

I do wish DH would get on a cruise ship because I would love to try that one day, but until then, and even then, it may just be Disney for us.

The Duck

My brother in law is a Disney Scrooge. When he was a teenager, his parents took him to Disneyland and he hated it so much that he never returned. Now, years later, he has never set foot in any Disney park except for Epcot but during his last visit, The Living Seas was in the process of being "Nemofied" and he was so furious that he never returned. To give you a better idea, he preferred the second incarnation of "Imagination". :brick:​

Clever Name

A lot depends on your life experience. If, for example, you visit WDW yet you have never been to Everglades National Park or the Grand Canyon then I think your critics have a good point. There are a lot of great places to see in the USA and dwelling on repeated vacations to WDW makes one very superficial. WDW is rather low on the list of great vacation spots. On the other hand, if you’ve seen most of the National Parks and visited Washington, D.C. and other great cities in the USA, then WDW could have a spot on your list. :wave:

MSmithmd

Good on you

My wife and I experience the same negativity from friends and family sometimes.

We started being "Disney junkies" after my own deployment to Iraq. The free ticket Disney provided me and the $99 ticket to my wife for a week, without the company then bragging in their general advertising that they were doing this for returning combat troops, hooked me for life.

So I'm glad for you that you are getting to experience a post-deployment trip as well.

As to the opinions of others-

Some people go to every home baseball game in a MLB season. I think that's crazy. Some people run marathons. I'm one of them, and I still think that's crazy. Some people go to Disney all the time, or at least yearly, and certainly you can find folks out there who think that is crazy too.

At the end of the day, there's this: Life on this earth ends. I'm an ER doc, so I know that better than most. There is a 100% chance of death for every one of us. I'm not trying to be morbid, but my point is that you need to make what happiness you can while you have the time provided to enjoy this Earth. Now, if going to Disney often causes you to get into debt, well, that can be a problem. If in prepping for your Disney trips, you flaunt it to friends or family, then they are right to be jealous and even sarcastic in their response.

If on the other hand, it's what you love to do with the proceeds of your family's hard earned work, then good on you. Share it with those who share your love of the experience, and don't let the haters get you down. I guarantee you can find a cynic about anything in your life. Just do what is right for you and your family, don't worry about others, and above all else, DON'T GO TO DISNEY BETWEEN CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS. But go, often. Have a great trip.

Peace.

puntagordabob

Happens all the time to me... lol but the way I see it is that they have Less Joy in their lives because of their lack of Disney...so I feel sorry for them lol

vjgraham

Very good topic, I have people in my family who feel the same way. I say everyone has their opinions. It used to bother me but it no longer does. It's my money and time and I'm glad to be able to go as often as I like.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom