Negative Friends and Family?

kucarachi

its your money, and more importantly your memories. I dont remember half the things i've bought for myself in my lifetime...but i do remember every trip and every first time my son and new son will have at disney world. I spent 24,000 on the DVC club and it was worth every penny...the haters will always be there, but when you guys are down there it will be some of the best times you will have as a family. But i do see people that spend too much get disappointed and fighting the whole time. Don't get too crazy thinking the more you spend the better the trip will be...

real mad hatter

Great Thread.

Been there,done it.Yep,we have friends who shake their heads when they here were off to WDW again.I host Disney parties once a month,with Disney geeks like myself and non believers whom I convert to Disney by showing holiday videos.Two years ago I organised a WDW vacation for friends of ours.12 adults and 17 children via Disney Vacations.I even got a lovely Thank You card from DV. So to all those people who have never been to WDW or living in the magic bubble as I call it.Blah Blah.Seeing is believing.roll on July where once again we will enjoy every second of our 14 days of magic,laughter,tears,and memories.:sohappy:

Our family in south Florida don't appreciate our Disney trips much - because we usually don't have time to see them, or it's just for the day if do manage it. I don't know how many times I've heard "Haven't you seen it all before? How much can change in a year?" And I just shake my head - they don't get it and never will. Just have to live with it!

WDW_Firefighter

At the end of the day, there's this: Life on this earth ends. I'm an ER doc, so I know that better than most. There is a 100% chance of death for every one of us. I'm not trying to be morbid, but my point is that you need to make what happiness you can while you have the time provided to enjoy this Earth. Now, if going to Disney often causes you to get into debt, well, that can be a problem. If in prepping for your Disney trips, you flaunt it to friends or family, then they are right to be jealous and even sarcastic in their response.

If on the other hand, it's what you love to do with the proceeds of your family's hard earned work, then good on you. Share it with those who share your love of the experience, and don't let the haters get you down. I guarantee you can find a cynic about anything in your life.

Well said.

pumpkin7

yes, i'm sad, pathetic, childish. i get 'why do you watch kids movies?', 'isn't disney just for kids?'.
it's so annoying because it's something i really enjoy, it's my hobby and passion.
i always think that until you've been, you don't understand disney world. i can try my hardest to make someone understand but you just don't get it until you go.
unforunately all my work friends (who are really the only people i get ridicule from) will never go and will never get it.
but then i think they are sad for watching soap operas and then talking about it the next day as if they are real people.... lol.

Philhar-Fanatic

We're in a family of a bunch of Disney lovers!! There has been some negativity in the past from those that can't go, but I think it's more sadness that they aren't able to participate with us. We talk about Disney almost daily but we have gown to be respectful of the people who we know don't want to hear it! :hammer:

UPbeekeeper

I don't get negativity, but it gets a little "lonely" to not have people I can share my enthusiasm with. My family enjoys going to WDW & gets into it when they are there, of course, but they aren't into all the detailed planning I like to do. My husband has a sympathetic ear and listens to my excitement, but he doesn't really get excited over it himself. I know he just listens to make me happy. Although I greatly appreciate that, it would be nice to have a small group of friends that I could share my excitement with and I could, in turn, get sparked by their excitement. I like reading books and sharing information I've learned. I like researching and tweaking details. I like making 100 changes to my plans so I get them just right. To have someone to share this with me would be such a pleasure. These forums are a nice outlet though. I guess the next best thing. :kiss:

JIMINYCR

The only one that knows about our next trip besides us, is the mailman. He thinks it is great how many things come to our address from WDW. Of course, that is probably a little job security for him....:ROFLOL:

With us it's the UPS driver. We buy a lot during our stay and have multiple packages shipped home, which end up arriving over several days after we get home. He knows when those packages with Disney labels on them start showing up in his truck that we've just been there. He has scheduled vacations that he takes to WDW. So we end up trading a lot of Disney stories.

I think it's more envy than negativity, last time I went most of my coworkers wished it was them. I think the negativity is coming from the handful of people who post lies on this forum.

graphite1326

I just got back from Florida (not an all WDW trip). We went with a group of 8 people and stayed in a non-disney resort. One couple wanted to go to AK and another had already made plans for that day. The other refused to go. Didn't say why just refused with a stern NO. I have been several times and was able to show the couple that wanted to go, around. They were happy I did this because they said they would have been lost and wouldn't have seen nearly as much as they did. When we returned they were so excited about their day and talked about it that when the group decided to spend a day at EPCOT the negative couple went with us. I haven't heard yet if they enjoyed it or not.

real mad hatter

Spot On.

yes, i'm sad, pathetic, childish. i get 'why do you watch kids movies?', 'isn't disney just for kids?'.
it's so annoying because it's something i really enjoy, it's my hobby and passion.
i always think that until you've been, you don't understand disney world. i can try my hardest to make someone understand but you just don't get it until you go.
unforunately all my work friends (who are really the only people i get ridicule from) will never go and will never get it.
but then i think they are sad for watching soap operas and then talking about it the next day as if they are real people.... lol.

You've hit the nail on the head.I spoke to a friend at the weekend who has two sons,ages 6 and 12 both would love a WDW vacation.What have they booked? Three weeks in Ibiza,including a booze cruise,discos,nightclubs.Oh yeh,the boys will enjoy that.Then he says to me," are you not to old for Disney".I won't tell you my reply,but the sun ain't shining anymore.:wave:

powlessfamily4

My boss shakes his head and laughs at me.... this highly annoys me but I don't let him see it. He out of the blue suggested I book the managers meeting in October at WDW. I have started setting up the booking and we are staying at the Yacht Club Hmmmmm who's laughing now? Me.... free trip to Disney and yes, I will be staying longer for 2 solo days!! :)

JIMINYCR

My boss shakes his head and laughs at me.... this highly annoys me but I don't let him see it. He out of the blue suggested I book the managers meeting in October at WDW. I have started setting up the booking and we are staying at the Yacht Club Hmmmmm who's laughing now? Me.... free trip to Disney and yes, I will be staying longer for 2 solo days!! :)

Quick, grab a red pen or marker. Circle Tuesday, October 16th 2012 on your calendar. It's National Boss's day!! :king: Be sure to get him a card and many many gifts to show your appreciation. You'll be booking more Disney meetings in the future. :cool:

EaglesfanNJ

Do you get a lot of negativity out of your friends and family when you talk about your trips to Disney World? 'Cause it seems like out of a lot of people, that's all we've encountered... I don't know, maybe people are sick of me talking about it, but I can't help it; I'm so excited!!
I have had friends and family members roll their eyes and outright tell me "I wouldn't spend so much money on one vacation, but that's just me." They feel like we're spoiling our kids with all that we plan to do on their first trip. Well yeah, we're doing a LOT but it's because we have a LOT to celebrate! It will be their first trip, our 10 year anniversary, my 30th birthday, and we are also celebrating my husband coming back home from his first deployment.
Sometimes I feel like just telling people to kiss where the sun doesn't shine when they start bashing our trip or raining on our parade, so to speak. What about you?

I get a little of both....... I have family members who give me the "You're going to Disney again?? There's so many other places to see, why don't you try somewhere else?" To which i respond: "You mean like my 3 Cruises, Grand Canyon trip, San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas x's 2, and Dallas TX trips??" Yeah I get it, there are a lot of places to visit, especially outside of the country. My advice to you is to ignore them and go where makes you happy.

On the flip side, everyone at work comes to be for advice, questions, reco's on where to eat, etc. They don't mind that i'm a junky.. I've helped several people with their trips.

Obi

that's cool!

my boss is a disney world fan.. him and his family go once a year, sometimes twice a year. we talk about wdw often and he'll sometimes give me bonuses to go towards a trip to wdw... yup, coolest boss ever!

Spikerdink

I have gotten flak from people who asked me 'Disney again???' - but I tell them that even though I have seen all the rides, and enjoyed the shows, there is something about a Disney vacation that is very special. The extra attention to detail, the whimsy, the total immersion in the magic makes it something that I look forward to every year - sometimes twice a year.

I have done other vacations, and look forward to having a better job in the future where I can go to Europe, South America and other places....all while still enjoying my Disney time....

And this Saturday I am starting my vacation with four other people who have been so excited to visit WDW because they see my enthusiasm and want some of what I feel!!!:king:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think it's more envy than negativity, last time I went most of my coworkers wished it was them. I think the negativity is coming from the handful of people who post lies on this forum.

:ROFLOL:

What are these lies you speak of?

Also, do you suspect your coworkers of coming onto the wdwmagic forums and spreading lies about WDW because they are super jell of you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom