Negative Friends and Family?

ddbowdoin

yes... I get it from a lot of people.

My fiance and I are headed down for our honeymoon in July... 10 nights, 2 at the Poly and rest at BC. When asked by my future mother in law how much we were expecting to pay, she nearly choked on the 5-6K answer. As if 3900 for sandals is better... so I can get a sunburn for a week and just get drunk everyday? That might be fun for a majority of people, but I am a do-er and more than 2 days on a beach and my ADD is on overkill.

I guess people don't realize the sacrifices we make in our every day lives in order to afford the trips we enjoy and love.

When we eat out we often split meals, we don't drink at restaurants, we buy store brands, we ration out dinners, we buy cheap stuff for things that have little or no value in our lives (like if we need new towels we don't run off and buy the plushest, most luxurious ones)... all of this stuff adds up.

I don't think people realize how much money they spend over a year when they are constantly taking a weekend here, a weekend there, a B&B in the mountains... gas and food associated with all those weekends. I'd rather an amazing, all out 7-10 days vs a number of small trips scattered throughout the year.

Then there is my brother, who just thinks I'm a "Disney Loser"

SulleyanBoo

I know exactly how you feel but I have gotten those reactions for so long that I learned to brush them off. Half of my friends and family ask me for advice and planning tips and the other half say "that is so exspensive, too crowded, too hot blah blah blah" (goes in one ear and out the other) Disney is MY happy place and people just don't know what they are missing out on:animwink: And, YES I am most certainly willing to invest in memories that last me a lifetime :)

I say go and celebrate to the FULLEST. As long as you and your family have a good time, that is all that matters.

Have fun and enjoy!:wave:

natron20

Sadly, I used to be one of those negative people.

In 2001 my best friend got married and went to WDW. I thought it was an odd choice for their honeymoon but didn't really make a big deal out of it. September 2002 rolls around and my friend and his wife ask me to go with them back to WDW. I agree simply because I wanted to go somewhere. I remember writing the check out for $800 bucks and telling my friend, "I can't believe i'm paying this much money to play with a rat for a week."

I went on the trip and had a blast. I did not let on how much I was enjoying myself though. Several months after we got back I was hanging out at my friends house, thumbing through one of their Disney coffee table books. I casually said, "When are we going back?" The look on their faces was priceless. That trip awakened something in me which I can't really put my finger on. I simply love being there. I love being immersed in Disney even when I'm not there by reading books, this website, youtube videos, etc. It makes me feel like a kid and I love it! Furthermore, I make no apologies for it.

Now, some people give me a hard time and I'm fine with it because it wasn't that long ago I was one of them. People put down what they themselves do not understand or feel. All I do is explain that the place means a lot to me and that it is my "happy place". It's to the point now where some co-workers have started to casually ask me questions about going and taking their families. I just got back last week from a trip with my wife, both my parents, two sister-in-laws, brother-in-law, nephew, my wife's aunt, and her two first cousins. None of them had been in a long time and everyone had a blast. My wife's aunt called her yesterday thanking us for inviting them. Said it was the best trip she had ever been on with her daughters, and her daughters are 27 and 22 years old.

Just live your life and let your joy and happiness shine through when talking about your Disney trips. That alone will hopefully win others over, or at the very least eventually get them off your back.

tinkerbell24

[/QUOTE]
I say go and celebrate to the FULLEST. As long as you and your family have a good time, that is all that matters.

Have fun and enjoy!:wave:[/QUOTE]

I agree!! As long as u and yr family have fun who cares!! I definately agree that a lot of it's down to jealousy. Its noone else's business how you spend your hard earned cash, and if Disney makes u happy then why not.
Besides I have travelled a quite a bit and nowhere compares to Disney :D xx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom