NBA Experience at Disney Springs

danlb_2000

Premium Member

According to that article the Disney attraction will be three times larger then NBA City. Measuring the whole building at City Walk on Google Earth, it is about 16,000 sf. Disney Quest has a 19,000 sf footprint, so that would take up about three floors if that's where it's going. I actually think that is a possibility, because that would be a pretty big building to add to the Town Center.

71jason

Agreed, as much as NBA City was pretty average, Uni never seemed to care to fix it either or to market it. Disney will want to market it as it ties in with one of their revenue streams.

It got as much love as Hard Rock or Margaritaville from Universal. Guests just never took to it. I have a theory as to why, has to to do with the main feeder markets, but let's not get into all that tonight.

Just because the same people ran over to Disney since they were being kicked out of CityWalk doesn't mean Disney will demand they up the menu and overall visual appearance of the place.

Funny thing is, food there was actually really good. Been a couple years, but used to have the best burger in CityWalk, pecan-crusted chicken tenders were amazing. If they teleported the kitchen over, would instantly be on a par with Raglan, step above most other DTD venues.

HOWEVER, I personally won't understand why Disney is going with a narrow NBA theme when they own ESPN. Bring another version of ESPN Zone into the DQ building. Maybe replace ESPN Club with this if that absolutely had to go for an ESPN place at DTD. But the ESPN brand is a much broader one and would appeal to the masses much more imo than NBA.

I totally agree. All I can think, Disney does not want to run the venue, just collect rent.

71jason

According to that article the Disney attraction will be three times larger then NBA City. Measuring the whole building at City Walk on Google Earth, it is about 16,000 sf. Disney Quest has a 19,000 sf footprint, so that would take up about three floors if that's where it's going. I actually think that is a possibility, because that would be a pretty big building to add to the Town Center.

Carve out a couple shops, ala Splitsville, seems a close match.

Next Big Thing

They mention TRIPLE the size of the current NBA City. I've been to NBA City, its huge. Worked there for a few clients.

I think @71jason might be right with where its going to go in the Springs....
Yeah, I think replacing Disney Quest is the obvious thing as it gets Disney out of having to operate the building and they still make money off the deal.

However, if it's going there, it's a pretty awkward location for NBA's sake. I mean, DQ is at the complete end of the West side, right next to HOB and Cirque, so it's not necessarily in a location where people are going to be constantly passing it.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, I think replacing Disney Quest is the obvious thing as it gets Disney out of having to operate the building and they still make money off the deal.

However, if it's going there, it's a pretty awkward location for NBA's sake. I mean, DQ is at the complete end of the West side, right next to HOB and Cirque, so it's not necessarily in a location where people are going to be constantly passing it.

Depends on where you park. I've always been a "Park Behind Cirque" person, so I generally walked passed it.

rangerbob

djkidkaz that is about all that I do. I walk around and look at things as there isn't a whole lot that interests me there. The main thing that I still can't figure out are the new crazy bridge pieces. I see their story of them but they just look awkward and out of place in the middle of the walkway.

Jon81uk

djkidkaz that is about all that I do. I walk around and look at things as there isn't a whole lot that interests me there. The main thing that I still can't figure out are the new crazy bridge pieces. I see their story of them but they just look awkward and out of place in the middle of the walkway.

Of course the story is they are an abandoned railway, but you could just think of them as shade structures.

bhg469

Of course the story is they are an abandoned railway, but you could just think of them as shade structures.
I think I read somewhere they were to be upper walkways that would attach to some restaurants and would be make shift raised patios. Super cool idea that I wish wasn't scrapped.

Jon81uk

I think I read somewhere they were to be upper walkways that would attach to some restaurants and would be make shift raised patios. Super cool idea that I wish wasn't scrapped.
The one closest to the food truck park was going to have stairs and an elevator to the upper level with patio tables etc. The assumption is that the idea was scrapped as it would probably need to be staffed to prevent people throwing things from the upper level and staff cost money.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The one closest to the food truck park was going to have stairs and an elevator to the upper level with patio tables etc. The assumption is that the idea was scrapped as it would probably need to be staffed to prevent people throwing things from the upper level and staff cost money.

I doubt throwing things was an issue since there are other places where you can do that that aren't staffed, but I think the bigger issue is safety and being sure you don't end up with to many people up there.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Depends on where you park. I've always been a "Park Behind Cirque" person, so I generally walked passed it.
Yep, also factor in the new Orange garage pedestrian walkway exits guests right alongside Splitsville which puts them very close to Disney Quest.

PhotoDave219

Yep, also factor in the new Orange garage pedestrian walkway exits guests right alongside Splitsville which puts them very close to Disney Quest.

Makes perfect sense. Especially if you can convince the NBA to pay for the building renovations.

I still have this nagging hunch that they'll do something with TV & "The NBA on ABC/ESPN" programs.

jakeman

If it does look like they are going to plop this into the DQ building. Then maybe we can hope it's part of a larger rebranding of the building into something with ESPN instead of just the NBA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom