NBA Experience at Disney Springs

jt04

NBA City has underperformed for at least a decade. Not so much a "steal" as picking up a smelly old couch from the side of the road before the trashman gets it.

Never underestimate Imagineering.

Any credibility to the minor rumor the WWE could go to CW as a replacement? o_O

71jason

Any credibility to the minor rumor the WWE could go to CW as a replacement? o_O

Heard that fell through, but no one seems to know for sure. I never thought it was the worst idea, although they wanted to tie a restaurant into it, and CityWalk has a glut of "American cuisine" at this point.

Megavolt

Smart move by NBA. They were about to be kicked out of CityWalk, so they hitched their horse up to The Mouse. Surprised Disney wanted them though. NBA City has been under performing for a decade or more at this point.

PhotoDave219

This is the first announcement I Don't believe is a good fit for Disney Springs. It's too narrow in focus and Basketball's international reach is limited.

I disagree that Basketball's international reach is limited. Its huge over in Europe.

I completely agree that this is an old, washed up, over the hill, jumped the left shark concept that kinda was "eh" and wasn't a hit at Citywalk and doesn't fit the concept at Disney Springs whatsoever.

maxairmike

Plus the NBA was huge over in Asia (China specifically) as recently as a few years ago. I don't pay too much attention to the NBA (or pro sports in general, I prefer college), so I don't know if that interest has been maintained as I don't think there's been a recent Asian star in the league.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I disagree that Basketball's international reach is limited. Its huge over in Europe.

I completely agree that this is an old, washed up, over the hill, jumped the left shark concept that kinda was "eh" and wasn't a hit at Citywalk and doesn't fit the concept at Disney Springs whatsoever.
It's neither a win for DS or a loss at Citywalk....

jakeman

Well this is kind of gross.

There is a need for a "sports" restaurant at DTD. There is also a need for them to tap into the craft beer market they do a mediocre job at.

They need to take all the beers they have on draft and in a bottle all across property and bring them to one singular restaurant at DTD, partner with Orlando Brewing, Cigar City, other smaller breweries, throw some TVs in there and make sure the food is good and the atmosphere is better than the Orlando Ale House and bam...

You have a sports brewpub with a beer list that probably no one else in the tourist area of Orlando can touch. It will print money.

PhotoDave219

why clutter up disney springs with this? why not build it over at ESPN, if its truly meant to be an "attraction"

while DQ is in need of a renovation, i really hope this is not the replacement for it.
that would be a terrible idea

It goes along with the way ABC markets the NBA and "the NBA on ABC" that they have.

You want to market the hell out of it? Post your pregame and post game shows from that venue.

NBC/Universal never had a financial incentive to market NBA city. Disney does as ABC/ESPN Broadcast their games.

CTXRover

Original Poster
I'm personally not a basketball fan, but it sounds like this is meant to be a bit more of an entertainment option than just a restaurant themed around basketball, as the current NBA City at Unviersal is. That could make it an interesting addition to the line up at DS.

My first thought was that it was something that would replace Disney Quest as well. Since I haven't stepped foot inside DQ in years, wouldn't be a big loss. Although, I would have preferred a broader sports concept. A supped up ESPN zone/experience would have probably been better.

HenryMystic

Just in case you needed any more proof that Disney wants to merely be lessor collecting big fat rent checks...they make this deal.

If this is, in fact, replacing Disney Quest, they should have went all out and made this a large ESPN experience...you know, THEIR BRAND!

I am speechless over this move. NBA doesn't seem to suit the demographic and/or market visiting and residing in O-Town.

Disneyhead'71

Well this is kind of gross.

There is a need for a "sports" restaurant at DTD. There is also a need for them to tap into the craft beer market they do a mediocre job at.

They need to take all the beers they have on draft and in a bottle all across property and bring them to one singular restaurant at DTD, partner with Orlando Brewing, Cigar City, other smaller breweries, throw some TVs in there and make sure the food is good and the atmosphere is better than the Orlando Ale House and bam...

You have a sports brewpub with a beer list that probably no one else in the tourist area of Orlando can touch. It will print money.
You do know Universal just announced a NBCSports Grill and Brew with over 100 beer, on site brewery, and a specialty brew only available at that location. They are partnered with The Florida Beer Company.

HenryMystic

You do know Universal just announced a NBCSports Grill and Brew with over 100 beer, on site brewery, and a specialty brew only available at that location. They are partnered with The Florida Beer Company.
The on-site brewery seems to have been nixed. It was not mentioned in the press materials.

Disneyhead'71

The on-site brewery seems to have been nixed. It was not mentioned in the press materials.
It's in the concept art (it is right below "Grill & Brew" in the pic below). And they mentioned the exclusive brew. So I am guessing it is still part of the plan.

image.jpg

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just in case you needed any more proof that Disney wants to merely be lessor collecting big fat rent checks...they make this deal.

If this is, in fact, replacing Disney Quest, they should have went all out and made this a large ESPN experience...you know, THEIR BRAND!

I am speechless over this move. NBA doesn't seem to suit the demographic and/or market visiting and residing in O-Town.

It works for Orlando Magic fans.

HenryMystic

It's in the concept art (you can see it above the main entrance). And they mentioned the exclusive brew. So I am guessing it is still part of the plan.
Those could merely be decorative. Functional brewery equipment should not be placed in a windowed tower in Florida. Believe me, I would love for the brewery to be on-site, but I suspect the exclusive brew will be brewed offsite by Florida Beer Company.

HenryMystic

It works for Orlando Magic fans.
There's a big difference between going to a game...watching a game on tv...and going to a venue exclusively dedicated to it. Going to games can be quite fun, but beyond that...

I mean, there is clear proof that this doesn't work sitting right there at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom