Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

sedati

No comparison. Imho.

What you have here is one of the Splash Mountain aligators without the rest of the showboat scene.

But I'll reiterate I found the land itself gorgeous to look at with some very clever design details.
Your opinion is justified, but I'll just say while this is in contrast to Walt's "Cocktail Party" type scene, I feel it still has merit. We're getting intimate with a single fully realized character instead of the impressive (but distancing) crowd experience. A chorus is certainly wonderful, but a solo can be even more moving at times.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Your opinion is justified, but I'll just say while this is in contrast to Walt's "Cocktail Party" type scene, it feel it still has merit. We're getting intimate with a single fully realized character instead of the impressive (but distancing) crowd experience. A chorus is certainly wonderful, but a solo can be even more moving at times.
It didn't move me in the way I wanted that's for sure. But I'm just one in millions.

smile

QUANTITY and not QUALITY

i can't distill it like that so easily, as an extra bend or two in the stream or an extra screen or three wouldn't have made much difference in my mind. even then, they would have needed to add something as of yet unseen, but something tells me those additional passages wouldn't have been much different than what we'd seen thus far.

which leads me back to thinking that their approach to the establishment of the awe and wonder was a misfire, considering that's really the whole crux of the show. it also shows how difficult it can be to establish awe and wonder in a c, especially when registering on the low end kinetically. it is a rather grand concept for a c... or maybe that's a cop out.

Horizonsfan

IMO the most appropriate comparison for the river journey, quality wise, is El Rio Del Tempo. Screen heavy diversion attractions with weak-at-best plot lines. But at least ERDT spiced up the scenery, with River Journey its plants and more plants.

Horizonsfan

That's a bit over-reductive isn't it? Like saying Small World is just dolls and more dolls, or that money is just paper.

You want the Birnbaum's description or what? I was comparing it to ERDT, which also had screens but in a variety of scenery: ancient Mexico, beaches, etc. River Journey is screens in forest and more forest. It's not bad, but the scenery is too static for a slow moving ride with no plot.

Jwhee

I thought that this is a solid C/D ticket. Not worth the hour+ lines it gets though. I wouldn't wait longer than 10 mins for it.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That's a bit over-reductive isn't it? Like saying Small World is just dolls and more dolls, or that money is just paper.

IASW is three times the length of NRJ, has a consistent musical soundtrack throughout the attraction, and a sequential theme... dolls in various regions culminating with all of the different dolls in a common setting.

NRJ has plants, screens, plants and an off key blue Jack Skellington

jk.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
A Arm-chair solution to tweak NRJ could involve us seeing the Shaman of Songs at the beginning of the ride (where the current Na'vi Guardsman figure resides) we would be seeing her from the back and off in the distance foreshadowing her finale scene later. This would establish a needed intro. The new premise, a subtle narrative would be that she's calling on Eywa to protect the species of Pandora from what appears to be a recent natural disaster.

The setup would add a new screen behind the waterfall where we see some great natural tragedy that recently occurred and a new screen scene at the end. For the sake of this arm-chair idea let's say it's a volcano that erupted; with banshee's flying about! As we round the corner we see critters scurry as if getting away from the destruction. We then notice this Na'vi Shaman off in the distance... is she praying? Dancing? We continue floating along and see the fauna run for cover but not from rampant blazes but from what appears to be the start of rainfall. Raindrops begin to splash as the river drips and drops. ( a new effect of digital projecting water ripples on the surface of the water accompanied by rainfall sound fx) The rain calms the mighty volcano's smoldering deforestation and soon the forest returns to it's state of harmony. As we near our journey's end we come face to face with the AA Shaman. We round the final turn and see the Tree of Souls beaming in the distance surrounded by the happy Na'vi thanking Eywa for delivering them the gift of rain and protection.

Last edited:

sedati

Na'vi River Journey's problem is primarily length. The setup for the attraction tells guests that this is going to be more than a C ticket. It feels like a D or E that was cut in half.
The location of the queue is gorgeous, and there's real artistry on display in the covered area, but it is mostly just switchbacks which I think denotes a lower ticket experience (I'd rate this a solid D myself.)
The idea that this (and there have been similar comments about the Seven Dwarves Mine Train) is like an E/D-Ticket that was cut in half is apt, but is that so bad? Isn't that better than a C with C level theming?

RSoxNo1

The location of the queue is gorgeous, and there's real artistry on display in the covered area, but it is mostly just switchbacks which I think denotes a lower ticket experience (I'd rate this a solid D myself.)
The idea that this (and there have been similar comments about the Seven Dwarves Mine Train) is like an E/D-Ticket that was cut in half is apt, but is that so bad? Isn't that better than a C with C level theming?
As a C ticket, there's nothing wrong with it, but the attraction itself feels like it's a D or E and that's probably fueling some of the disdain for it. If the 4 and a half minutes didn't have as many layers as it has (basically if it was a worse ride) then people wouldn't be asking for a longer ride.

Bender123

As a C ticket, there's nothing wrong with it, but the attraction itself feels like it's a D or E and that's probably fueling some of the disdain for it. If the 4 and a half minutes didn't have as many layers as it has (basically if it was a worse ride) then people wouldn't be asking for a longer ride.

Its a hard ride to judge...It has great effects, its a relaxing ride and its extremely detailed. The problem is that its a bit weird in that it also has almost no definitive story, beyond lets go see the one really cool AA. Its like they had a great idea for a ride concept, spent all the money on making it look fantastic and then forgot to build the ride long enough to have a story, so it just "happens" and you are done.

If the ride had been the length of Mexico's boat ride, I would likely think it would be a solid "E". As of how it is, now, its a "C" with "E" effects, but it doesn't average out to a "D". When I get off the ride, I usually feel that I really love it, but its not worth the wait.

sedati

If the ride had been the length of Mexico's boat ride, I would likely think it would be a solid "E".

Times seem to vary on this, RSoxNo1 is saying 4.5, but from what I've seen it's fairly consistently a bit over five (not counting back ups.) This included my own two rides where I did try and time it. El Rio Del Tiempo seems to have run about 6.5, though Gran Fiesta Tour seems more like an even 7 minutes. Either way, there’s a difference, but not a huge one to Navi.
I can't see them ever physically lengthening the Navi River, but I wouldn't mind them slowing it down a tad if the lines ever become more manageable. I found myself often looking up or even backwards, missing other scenes (I never got a good look at the screens with the deer-like creatures, and I just couldn't stop looking at the amazingly realistic bugs crawling in and out of that tree arch, so I missed most of that third screen with the marching Navi.)

Last edited:

Bender123

Times seem to vary on this, RSoxNo1 is saying 4.5, but from what I've seen it's fairly consistently a bit over five (not counting back ups.) This included my own two rides where I did try and time it. El Rio Del Tiempo seems to have run about 6.5, though Gran Fiesta Tour seems more like an even 7 minutes. A difference, but not a huge one.
I can't see them ever physically lengthening the Navi River, but I wouldn't mind them slowing it down a tad if the lines ever become more manageable. I found myself often looking up or even backwards, missing other scenes (I never got a good look at the screens with the deer-like creatures, and I just couldn't stop looking at the amazingly realistic bugs crawling in and out of that tree arch, so I missed most of that third screen with the marching Navi.)

Gran Fiesta is 7 minutes...Either way, its about 66% longer than Navi. The problem I had with Navi was that I instantly compare it to the other boat rides and, although it is the most advanced, its also the shortest by a long shot. It feels like there should be a scene after the Shaman with a grand celebration, but it just sort of ends...like here is a cave with some glowing crap, now get out.

You see Navi walking to the Shaman for a festival, but you never get "that scene" to feel like everybody made it and are celebrating. Its like you made it, the Shaman sings you a song and everybody else went to a different celebration.

RSoxNo1

Times seem to vary on this, RSoxNo1 is saying 4.5, but from what I've seen it's fairly consistently a bit over five (not counting back ups.) This included my own two rides where I did try and time it. El Rio Del Tiempo seems to have run about 6.5, though Gran Fiesta Tour seems more like an even 7 minutes. Either way, there’s a difference, but not a huge one to Navi.
You’re right. I’ve got it at 5 minutes on my site. I must have had 4.5 in my head because of Flight of Passage.

twebber55

agreed
i liked it better the 2nd time just trying to soak in all of the effects

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Boat ride? Less than five. I've posted the design speed somewhere before it opened. I'll try and dig it out again.

Being a water propulsion ride the time can vary remember.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You’re right. I’ve got it at 5 minutes on my site. I must have had 4.5 in my head because of Flight of Passage.

Heading out to work now, until I can find the actual post I did say this:

3 minutes 50-something if I recall.

sedati

Is this a case like Little Mermaid where they purposefully slowed it down then? I just poked through the first seven complete ridethroughs on Youtube and at the very fastest, it clocks in right at 5:00 and I'm not counting time on the belt- this is splashdown to first-contact at the end with either belt or other boat. Some times are closer to 6:00. I think at under four minutes it would have been too quick. Like I'd said earlier, I wish they'd slow it down a bit further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom