Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

doctornick

The odds are stacked against us but I'm hopeful NRJ gets a 2nd look eval and possible redesign in the coming years to fine tune and give this ride more depth.

Odds seem better to me that they'd just build a third attraction as an addition than tinker with NRJ. At least we know that a third attraction in on the radar even if it isn't likely to come anytime soon (or ever).

eliza61nyc

My family rode this for the first time this week and everyone's reaction was a collective "meh." At least the Shaman was on full display but that wasn't even a redeeming factor. Lol.
Oh thank God. lol, I was on a disney facebook page yesterday and everyone was gushing about how this was the "best" ride to date. I kept thinking, "what the heck is wrong with us". maybe because we went during the day and didn't see the night time effect.

It was ok. we went during the dvc preview, never would I wait an hour for this ride.

EricsBiscuit

I have to disagree with Martin about the story. The story is that ACE is taking you down a river on a canoe to see the mythical Shaman of Songs. The finale is the Shaman of Songs. Unless someone was looking to the port side I don't see how you could miss that. Then the caves after are basically like the jail cell in pirates. After the finale.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I have to disagree with Martin about the story. The story is that ACE is taking you down a river on a canoe to see the mythical Shaman of Songs. The finale is the Shaman of Songs. Unless someone was looking to the port side I don't see how you could miss that. Then the caves after are basically like the jail cell in pirates. After the finale.

I don't see how ACE plays into the final ride's story (or lack thereof). They should.. but If ACE were involved you'd think the storyline would use that to it's benefit. Instead any reference to ACE vanishes the second one enters the queue. A missed opportunity IMO.

The Shaman of Songs is the "finale" only because it's the final scene. A proper finale should trail a story arc. The ride as a whole is uninspired and lacks focus. It sets up nothing so there's little reward at the end of the journey; a very short journey.

For the immense amount of time and money invested, the Na'vi River Journey is probably the most underwhelming of Disney's recent efforts at WDW.
There seemed to be a lack of substance to the ride itself.

Isn't it though? It's pretty embarrassing.

peter11435

I think the story of Pandora/Ace's involvement is comparable to modern day national parks. If you look at it this way, Ace shouldn't really be involved with River Journey.

Flight of Passage is an actual manmade tourist attraction in the story of Ace, this can be comparable to the skywalk/bridge over the GrandCanyon.
Grand-Canyon-Skywalk-bridge-2.jpg

Na'vi River Journey is more about the outside natural area that Ace does not control, but is still open for tourism. This can be comparable to The Grand Canyon Rapid tours, it's the real deal and not a Manmade attraction like Flight of Passage or the SkyWalk.
clear-creek-full-day.jpg
This^

ACE is not the one operating your river tour.

sedati

Have you ever ridden the gondolas in Venice? Certainly the gondolier could narrate your journey, pointing out the many historic sites along the way, but instead he just sings. This allows you to look and experience at your own pace- to have an experience that is uniquely yours.

I find the constant calls for this attraction to have more plot or narration odd- yes other rides have that. This one is different. Different isn't necessarily better, but when you're rounding out four theme parks, you want them to have those differences.

How about this- other than the intro, do you need "Illuminations, Reflections of Earth" spelled out for you? Should that also have a narration to help you better understand what you're looking at?

TrojanUSC

Have you ever ridden the gondolas in Venice? Certainly the gondolier could narrate your journey, pointing out the many historic sites along the way, but instead he just sings. This allows you to look and experience at your own pace- to have an experience that is uniquely yours.

I find the constant calls for this attraction to have more plot or narration odd- yes other rides have that. This one is different. Different isn't necessarily better, but when you're rounding out four theme parks, you want them to have those differences.

How about this- other than the intro, do you need "Illuminations, Reflections of Earth" spelled out for you? Should that also have a narration to help you better understand what you're looking at?

I don't think it has to do with narration. It's just a lot of pretty backgrounds without action happening in the foreground. This ride is, essentially, Pirates of the Caribbean if there was only one pirate at the end. Imagine you removed all the pirates it would be a pretty tour through caves and Caribbean towns and would be defended here in the same way that you are.

With Na'vi, all they had to do was add some more animatronics, perhaps some creatures. Give it a sense of action and place. It just feels unfinished.

sedati

With Na'vi, all they had to do was add some more animatronics, perhaps some creatures. Give it a sense of action and place. It just feels unfinished.

I'll agree there is one spot that feels unfinished. On both of our rides, My brother mentioned a dead space on the ride that he kept his eyes on with the assumption that something was going to happen there. He knew I'd seen videos of the ride and asked if there was a broken or missing effect. It took a moment to figure out what spot he was talking about- the boat exit from the maintenance bay (the entrance is well hidden by that waterfall right at the beginning.) The exit however sits after the Viperwolf scene on the left, and the merging channel does make for a bit of a void (only if you happen to be looking there- certainly there are things to see not only on the opposite side, but above you, but it such a densely themed attraction, it does stand out.) I wonder if a large animatronic beast could be made that would drink from the river during normal operation, but could be made to rise up to allow a boat to be added when needed.

A thought I had after riding was that it would have been neat to add some of the Prolemuris (four-armed monkey-like creatures.) If done as practical figures on vines, they could have made for some great kinetics swinging overhead. I was surprised when I got home and re-watched the making of video:

and was surprised to see that they are already there (6:22) The video doesn't make their location clear- not only did I fail to notice them in person, but I hadn't seen them in any of the dozen or so POV videos I'd watched previously. On closer inspection, they can be seen in one of the background layers of the Viperwolf scene, a nice and subtle detail, but I think they could be added elsewhere.

Like I said, I'm happy with what they made, but can agree that some tweaking can always be done. Plussing is fine, but I think what some are looking for is too drastic and would ruin what I found unique and wonderful about what is already there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's actually a finale?

I was waiting for the pay off and instead got to unload.

smile

narrative is a strong word here, as they were only simply going for the feel/experience of gliding down a sacred na'vi river and coming upon the shaman of songs. narrative? a non-traditional one, if so.

while not necessarily a bad idea in theory, the real failure in my mind is the execution, in that it just doesn't set itself up properly. it's hard to become intoxicated with the journey (and by extension the pay-off) when the only thing being served are thimble-sized shots of cooking sherry in the form of two minutes staring at a tech demo (or two). that two minutes is to psyche you up for the shaman - i was personally not psyched, obviously, thus the disappointment.

certainly don't want to disparage others who may enjoy it, but it's never a good sign when you know what to expect, anticipate it, and yet step off the first time thinking only, "15 minute wait MAX".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom