Nasty incident outside Club Cool at Epcot tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
:) I live in Northern IL. When I visit Chicago it has a beautiful park called Grant Park. I visit there a couple times a year. When the Taste of Chicago festival is on it is a completely different atmosphere afternoon or evening. Food is not the only thing guests are tasting, the spirits like F&W at Epcot are a major draw for the event. People who do not like these type of events all that comes with them, stay clear during that limited time of the fest. They don't go and then complain that the Taste is exactly what is known to be.

I don't know how else to phrase it, if you hate what F&W brings, avoid the World Showcase those weeks. Simple. If you want to participate, accept what it is. Disney isn't going to change it. I had a horrible experience back in the 90's with Gay Days, I don't go to Disney that week and Disney isn't going to discourage the antics, there is big money in conventions. I had the misfortune of staying at a resort that housed Pop Warner teams and families. It was a nightmare, parents being worse that the small athletes. I went elsewhere, upgraded to a Deluxe resort. Disney wasn't going to move them and those families bring in revenue during a slower season. I take charge of my vacation and if something makes me uncomfortable, I move on. It really is as simple as that.
Okay, a couple of points before I bow out of this circular argument.

- NOT ONCE did I say I hate Food & Wine Festival.
- F & W runs for more than 6 weeks (at a particularly attractive slower time of year) and it is preposterous that you suggest I should not visit Epcot for what amounts to more than 1/8 of the year.
- I specifically told you, numerous times, that I tried to avoid the crowds - by visiting between 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, and BEFORE the Festival was even supposed to start.
- My point was, that Disney could do more to control the unruly, obnoxious minority. The solution is not to tell me - If you don't like it, tough muffies Lady.
- And it's spelled "naive".

Debate over. You win. Peace out.

jmc97

I'm sure to many this incident may seem like an oppurtunity to make a joke but, for my family who was in Club Cool when the incident occured it was anything but funny. We were there with our 2 children and were ready to leave the store when we heard a commotion at the front of the store and people screaming to run and popping noises and what sounded like prople screaming gun. As you may imagine it was utter chaos and panic at once. We sreamed for our kids to run and they took off outside running. Because of a medical condition I am physically unable to run and was struggling to get out of the store very quickly. When we got outside we were in a panic because we couldn't find our kids and still had no idea what was going on or whether or not we were in any kind of danger. We saw a guy pinned to the floor outside. After several minutes we found our girls who were terrified and crying. We left the park immediately. When we got back to the resort we called guest services just to report the incident and to be sure everybody was okay. The person who answered said the only thing reported was a "pop rock" incident and acted as if we were crazy and all but laughed at us. This was our first trip to Disney World and as you can imagine this put quite a damper on our trip. Our girls were scared to go into the parks. The most disappointing thing was the lack of compassion from the staff especially in light of all the terrible incidents our country seems to be plagued with lately. This trip was a birthday celebration for both my daughters and when asked what they thought about the trip they said the wanted a refund. We spent years planning this trip and had it ruined by the stupidity of one person. Extremely disappointing!

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
I'm sure to many this incident may seem like an oppurtunity to make a joke but, for my family who was in Club Cool when the incident occured it was anything but funny. We were there with our 2 children and were ready to leave the store when we heard a commotion at the front of the store and people screaming to run and popping noises and what sounded like prople screaming gun. As you may imagine it was utter chaos and panic at once. We sreamed for our kids to run and they took off outside running. Because of a medical condition I am physically unable to run and was struggling to get out of the store very quickly. When we got outside we were in a panic because we couldn't find our kids and still had no idea what was going on or whether or not we were in any kind of danger. We saw a guy pinned to the floor outside. After several minutes we found our girls who were terrified and crying. We left the park immediately. When we got back to the resort we called guest services just to report the incident and to be sure everybody was okay. The person who answered said the only thing reported was a "pop rock" incident and acted as if we were crazy and all but laughed at us. This was our first trip to Disney World and as you can imagine this put quite a damper on our trip. Our girls were scared to go into the parks. The most disappointing thing was the lack of compassion from the staff especially in light of all the terrible incidents our country seems to be plagued with lately. This trip was a birthday celebration for both my daughters and when asked what they thought about the trip they said the wanted a refund. We spent years planning this trip and had it ruined by the stupidity of one person. Extremely disappointing!
I'm sorry you had this disappointing first trip experience. Disney is usually magical. I'm a 46 year old woman, who often travels to Disney without my kids. I refer to it as "my happy place". Please don't let this one-off crazy incident spoil your trip or ruin your memories.
And oh yeah, welcome to the forum. It's usually a pretty fun, civil place.

Bairstow

Have you tried calling Disney back after the incident once you learned what actually happened?

jmc97

I'm sorry you had this disappointing first trip experience. Disney is usually magical. I'm a 46 year old woman, who often travels to Disney without my kids. I refer to it as "my happy place". Please don't let this one-off crazy incident spoil your trip or ruin your memories.
And oh yeah, welcome to the forum. It's usually a pretty fun, civil place.

Trying to keep an open mind about it and maybe sometime in the future we will try again. The first two days were great! A bit overwhelming but great!

jmc97

Have you tried calling Disney back after the incident once you learned what actually happened?

I didn't. A friend actually sent me the link to the forum after I told her about what happened. She googled it and forwarded it to me. I may try calling.

MOXOMUMD

C'mon guys, lots of us have seen Adam the Woo's videos on Youtube. Getting backstage isn't exactly like trying to break the Windtalkers code.....
Amen. Look where he got to and didn't get caught and where he did get caught he talked his way out of it.

HakunaMatata89

it was a drunk navy ensign who went on a hitting spree, don't think badly about the rest of us active duty ...ensigns are the bottom of the totem pole officers who tend to get into trouble with drinking being fresh out of their 4 year strict schooling. shame it had to happen and ruin peoples magic.

Epcot-Rules

I personally have never seen any drunk, rowdy people at Epcot. I have been many times on the 4th of July when you would think they would be out in full force. Being that I have not been during F&W, I don't understand why it is that much easier to get drunk? It's not like Epcot don't sell booze the rest of the year. One of my favorite aspects of Epcot is to be able to have different tastes from all over the world.

Disney will never stop selling booze, the profit margin in huge. IMHO complaining about drunks at F&W is like going to Jellyrolls and reporting them to Guess Services for selling beer. Everyone knows there will be drinking. I am going in 9 days for the first time and I'm looking forward to the F&W. This was one of the reasons I decided to book.

I'm a big boy and my children are older. We know how to steer clear of trouble. If it's unavoidable, we know how to handle those situations to. Everyone blames Disney but what it comes down to personal responsibility gets overlooked. I have raised my children the way I was raised. You are responsible for your actions. Don't blame other people for the poor choices you may make.

mergatroid

Original Poster

Wow, I can only assume this incident was so unusual that they thought you were exaggerating a tad? To be fair many doubted my story over this incident and it does seem very unusual till you get to see it confirmed. We must have just arrived after you, sorry for your bad experience.

I personally have never seen any drunk, rowdy people at Epcot. I have been many times on the 4th of July when you would think they would be out in full force. Being that I have not been during F&W, I don't understand why it is that much easier to get drunk? It's not like Epcot don't sell booze the rest of the year. One of my favorite aspects of Epcot is to be able to have different tastes from all over the world.

I know what you mean. Mrs M and I come for 3 weeks every Sept/Oct so the F & W is on nearly every time we visit. We've been loads of times in the past however Saturday night was much worse than normal. Taking away the nut job with the pipe and even then Saturday was crowded with many more drunks than I've witnessed there before. It was mostly good natured but there was an element of individuals who had clearly had way too much which put Mrs M on edge a little bit. We'd never seen Epcot quite so intoxicated before and were really surprised!

draybook

I've never personally seen the surface of the moon but I'll take Armstrong's word for it. So just because you haven't seen unruly drunks doesn't mean they don't exist.

And Disney IS responsible because they don't limit people on how many drinks they allow you to consume. Now just remember, some of those people aren't using Disney transportation OR a designated driver...

aladdin2007

I've never personally seen the surface of the moon but I'll take Armstrong's word for it. So just because you haven't seen unruly drunks doesn't mean they don't exist.

And Disney IS responsible because they don't limit people on how many drinks they allow you to consume. Now just remember, some of those people aren't using Disney transportation OR a designated driver...

Agreed, and Epcot is suppose to be a family friendly themepark, it was not meant to be the new Pleasure Island, and shouldnt be, but that is quickly what its becoming thanks to TDOs lack of care, vision, and money obsessed bean counters. The drunk issue is becoming a bigger problem every year and this year seems to be the worst I have ever seen it. Were gone by dinner time now. I dont see any security in world showcase either, maybe they are there, but its something that needs to be addressed with those kinds of crowds.

NowInc

And there is the fact that I keep meaning to bring up.

I (unfortunately) work as a general contractor for animation work (this is just to give background..you'll see why in a second). A very LARGE portion of my work comes from attorneys who use my firm for court room graphics/motion aids. There have been numerous lawsuits against bars whom didn't cut people off when they were supposed to (or even serving those who are underage), and then sending them on their way. The inebriated individual gets in a car and drives off.....hits someone...and kills them. The family of the victim sues...not the driver..but the ESTABLISHMENT (I mean, they have more money obviously) in a civil court (where as the driver gets charged in criminal). And guess who wins...99% of the time? Not the bar.

Its a ticking time bomb, one which can only be helped by better educating those serving, and also having better security, especially closer to the park exits.

NowInc

Wow, now a bartender is supposed to be a baby sitter and keep track of how many drinks lil Johnny has had?
It's not their job.

I think more of people keeping an eye out for those who have had a few too many as they are exiting towards the parking lot...

tdpolo26

Wow, now a bartender is supposed to be a baby sitter and keep track of how many drinks lil Johnny has had?
It's not their job.
In many states like ny there is tort law.... bartenders are responsible for who they serve... trust me I used to work as one...seen many bars up here get sued for giving to much alcohol and someone gets hurt. if you are a bartender it is your duty to cut someone off when they have had to much.

Freshee61

I understand but to keep track of something like that in wdw is much harder. And that is the place at hand. Don't you think?
But like another poster already mentioned that those magic bands in the future will be able to track the number of drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom