MyMagic+ MagicBands to begin testing in parks soon

dhall

Haha I wonder if they realize that the same people who would buy a designer band will be turned off by the horrendous tan lines. ;)

I bet they thought of that. The plan probably goes something like

1) Make a commercial where the young attractive mom has a magic band tan
2) Her friends see the tan and say (with boundless excitement) "You've been to Walt Disney World®!!!!!"
3) ???
4) Profit!!!!

Adam5897

I am going to the world in early April and am staying at AoA. I am checking in online new and while I was reading the team and conditions i came upon something interesting. it could mean nothing but I'm hoping It means there's a chance for me to use magic band. It says:
"I understand the Online Check-In Service is a convenience to guests at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and the check-in process shall become complete in Florida upon showing my photo identification, and receipt of a Key to the World card or by entering my room utilizing my authorized MagicBand.
Could this mean anything? It sounds to me as if i have a choice upon arrival between the KTTW and Magic Band. I really hope so because I would love to use the magic band!

ThemeParks4Life

I am going to the world in early April and am staying at AoA. I am checking in online new and while I was reading the team and conditions i came upon something interesting. it could mean nothing but I'm hoping It means there's a chance for me to use magic band. It says:
"I understand the Online Check-In Service is a convenience to guests at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and the check-in process shall become complete in Florida upon showing my photo identification, and receipt of a Key to the World card or by entering my room utilizing my authorized MagicBand.
Could this mean anything? It sounds to me as if i have a choice upon arrival between the KTTW and Magic Band. I really hope so because I would love to use the magic band!

If you're an AP, onsite guest, or have a photo package you have the option of getting the Magicband for free.

Donald96

WDW1974

I think to address this fully would hijack this thread; we can start another if this gets too off the rails.

Thanks for replying, Len. And don't worry about running the thread off the rails as there isn't any news on MM+ right now anyway ... and tangents are a specialty of mine.

I pay the same rate as the general public for everything I do on property. That includes transportation, lodging, food, tickets and anything else. For the New Fantasyland event, for example, I drove my own car down, paid for the gas, stayed at Pop Century at public rates, paid for my own food, and used my AP throughout the trip. And that's the general policy for us and the Guide. (I did get a 'goody bag' from FLE and gave it away.) Our team pays the same rates as the general public for virtually everything, too.

Cool. And that IS how I firmly believe it should be (and I was a regular at Disney events from 1990-2005 as both REAL media and as VIP guest). But the event is one of those 'special things' that you can't really put a value on. Most fanbois would kill to go to one (I've been offered sexual favors to take some and, yes, I am absolutely 100% serious). what is the value of that? More importantly, do you really need to go to one to offer coverage of, in this case, New Fantasyland?

My answer -- again, as someone who has been to his share of events -- would be a most definitely not. You don't need a party with free food, booze and swag or even group interviews to do that job. I know from a writing perspective, I'd rather talk to someone one-on-one, even by phone or online, and get something no one else has.

The biggest story to come out of that party at the MK was missed by every single media member there. I reported it and put it in context: that was George Kalogridis touring around Governor Voldemort and that Georgie was about to replace Meg as WDW's leader. No one there reported it. No one Tweeted it. No one freaking noticed it, which astounds me.

I can think of 3 times in the last 15 years in which we use comped hotel rooms during media events: FLE, Cars Land, and Soarin'. The primary reason we use these rooms is to network with other media. It's vastly easier to do this if you're staying with them.

A second reason is that if you don't accept the invitations every once in a while, you stop getting invited. Some readers would start to question why, if you supposedly cover Disney, you're not at these media events.

Len, I do appreciate your being upfront and taking part in this discussion. You're certainly showing more testicular fortitude than anyone else in the social media/Disney Lifestyler circles (to be fair, many of them have been banned here or have just chosen to hide in the Twitverse while reading regularly).

But I'll say I find those answers above to be pretty weak. You can network with folks in a lobby or in a bar (and I know Mr. Bricker loves being up for sunrises, so my guess is he likely slept all of three hours a night in his freebie at the GC) ... and as to not getting invited, I'd say that sounds like Disney wants you (and others) to take their freebies/comps so it can expect a quid pro quo.

No one would suggest that Miceage (and Al and Kevin and Dusty and Co) doesn't cover Disney and they are NEVER invited anywhere.

More pointedly, no one would suggest that WDWMAGIC isn't the No. 1 online WDW source and yet Steve has never been credentialed to a media event. Certainly hasn't hurt the site in terms of visitors or advertisers.

I understand the parties can be fun, although they are nothing compared to what you get in the TV and Film industry (trust me, I know that well!) but at the end of the day, that's all they are. Great excuses for people to chow down and booze it up on Disney's dime and maybe run into a celeb like Phil Holmes!

Finally, the general rule we have on coverage is that the person who writes the content for the book and site doesn't get the comp. So I wrote all of the Fantasyland and Test Track reviews (the restaurants and attractions), and did it before the media event. I don't have my notes handy for Tom's trip last year. Tom did a great job getting us photos, updating Twitter and blogging about the events. Virtually certain someone else wrote the reviews though.

Len

That's a good rule to have.

As for @WDW Figment, I hope he gets hired by Disney to showcase his photo skills. He is a talent and so much better than what Disney has on staff. I've sorta mentioned that to both him and some folks in the company.

Todd H

Test Track today was NOT supplying cards to Fastpass or Single Riders. Guests with KTTW or RFID cards were the only guests able to use the car terminals in those lines.

PS: Cars still do not sync with the screens.

Same happened to us when we rode it a few days ago. I asked the CM and was told "we ran out of cards."

Sandurz

A few minutes went by, they brought out the grey wristbands and started activating them. Then the process stopped dead. A suit came out from the back and asked if we had questions about the bands. I said no. She said something to the effect of "we're always working on making things magical, and you're getting RFID cards." That was it. No acknowledgement that the site had been offering bands. No use of the word "wristband." Nothing.

This is the strangest part. It's like whoever found the bands and brought them out was not at all supposed to do so, and then the rest of the crew helping out just had absolutely no idea where to go from there, as no procedures had been finalized and put in place yet...almost like when Truman goes in the wrong elevator for the first time in The Truman Show. Nobody acknowledges directly that something isn't right. Very odd.

fngoofy

I'm reading all these posts about the planning ahead, and planning ahead, and planning ahead, etc. What happens to all the plans that you make 6 months ahead and then the day you planned to go on Thunder Mountain and Splash it is raining or windy and the rides are shut down? Do you get a new time, new day, new vacation?
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
You may find yourself in another part of the world
You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?
Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

Nice Talking Heads reference:D

disneygirl1

Same thing thst happens now when a ride is suddenly shut down. They honor all the FPs when the ride reopens. If the ride stays down and you are holding a FP you get nothing. With FP+ you can at least trade your FP+ for something else is you choose.

A similar situation happened to us when we got to test the FP+ system on our Dec trip. We had a FP+ for Thunder Mountain and it kept opening and closing down. They said they would honor it once the ride reopened. Well it never did. So basically we went to the FP+ kiosk located right at Philharmagic and was able to switch the FP+ to another ride. The change was very easy to make.

GrumpyFan

I thought this was interesting, from Apple Insider.

Family vacation mecca Walt Disney World is in the midst of a trial program that has replaced old-fashioned turnstiles with employees toting Apple's iPod touch for a more personal, friendly ticketing system.

Visitors to the Magic Kingdom in Central Florida will notice that Disney has done away with turnstiles completely at the park's entrance. Instead, visitors are greeted by the company's "cast members," holding iPod touches in their white-gloved hands.
The change is part of a larger initiative by Disney known as "MyMagic+," which has the ultimate goal of making the company's theme parks even more convenient and inviting for those who attend."Disney's Magic Kingdom has done away with turnstiles at the park's entrance and replaced them with Apple's iPod touch, in an effort to offer a more welcoming and seamless experience when entering the park"
A Disney representative who spoke with AppleInsider noted that because the program is in a trial stage, there's no guarantee that the company will ultimately adopt the iPod touch as a long-term solution. But for now, cast members are utilizing Apple's iOS device with a special accessory case and accompanying software that allow passes to be scanned.
disney-130304-1.jpg

See the full story here: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...st-replaces-turnstiles-with-apples-ipod-touch

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom