MyMagic+ MagicBands to begin testing in parks soon

WDW1974

Checked in to AKL today. No wristbands, despite being offered one during online checking. A CM came out to say they'll be offered "later," and another CM said April/May.

Len

Are you there for the official bloggers 'test' of MM+, Len?

Did Disney fly you in and put you up? How many folks are taking part?

Thanks!

lentesta

Premium Member
Interesting - so you were offered one? Did you accept it and then they changed? Or, you decided at that time you didn't want to use? (just curious)

I was offered one during online check-in, which I accepted (and went through the process of converting my AP). When I arrived at AKL, I got RFID cards, no bands. I mentioned to front desk staff that I signed up for wristbands. They checked an iPad app, which confirmed it. (They even showed me the app.)

A few minutes went by, they brought out the grey wristbands and started activating them. Then the process stopped dead. A suit came out from the back and asked if we had questions about the bands. I said no. She said something to the effect of "we're always working on making things magical, and you're getting RFID cards." That was it. No acknowledgement that the site had been offering bands. No use of the word "wristband." Nothing.

I ended up having to go back to the front desk later and ask whether my AP would still be valid, because the site said it would not. That's when I got the other info. And my AP was valid. So the site was way off.

All of the CMs were great, essentially saying "Soon, just not yet. New technology." The suit's communication skills were poor. But again, every other CM I've interacted with has been fab. Always good to see the kids staying positive.

Cosmic Commando

I was offered one during online check-in, which I accepted (and went through the process of converting my AP). When I arrived at AKL, I got RFID cards, no bands. I mentioned to front desk staff that I signed up for wristbands. They checked an iPad app, which confirmed it. (They even showed me the app.)

A few minutes went by, they brought out the grey wristbands and started activating them. Then the process stopped dead. A suit came out from the back and asked if we had questions about the bands. I said no. She said something to the effect of "we're always working on making things magical, and you're getting RFID cards." That was it. No acknowledgement that the site had been offering bands. No use of the word "wristband." Nothing.

I ended up having to go back to the front desk later and ask whether my AP would still be valid, because the site said it would not. That's when I got the other info. And my AP was valid. So the site was way off.

All of the CMs were great, essentially saying "Soon, just not yet. New technology." The suit's communication skills were poor. But again, every other CM I've interacted with has been fab. Always good to see the kids staying positive.
Thanks for the report and the Guide and WDW Today!

icecreamrules

I also stayed at AKL and asked for wristbands. We got RFID cards too. It is still glitchy - we experienced problems at 4 different locations when the reader wouldn't light up green and activate at random food and gifts shops.

COProgressFan

Glad to hear the front-line CM was positive about the situation. But I wonder how positive they will be once this thing is fully operational with all guests and they face these challenges all day long.

Also, my suspicion is that the "suit" was just a mid-level front desk manager, who unfortunately has no input with the implementation of the system, and is likely quite aware that the whole system is a clusterf***. I think the best she could do is say "here are your rfid cards" like she did.

lentesta

Premium Member
The test was an internal one. No one was invited other then internal people for the test.

I was offered one during the online checking process. I accepted it, and the website walked me through the process of converting my AP to wristband. Twice - once for me, and once for my partner.

WDW1974

So, did anyone get the bands? Or did they just decide to not even move forward with this group at this time?

I think we all should have a betting pool on the date they actually fully impliment the system and toss $5 in. Whoever gets closest gets the cash. My date would be sometime late ... in 2014.

maxairmike

So, did anyone get the bands? Or did they just decide to not even move forward with this group at this time?

I think we all should have a betting pool on the date they actually fully impliment the system and toss $5 in. Whoever gets closest gets the cash. My date would be sometime late ... in 2014.

They're doing testing with a small CM group the next week or two, but that's the extent of the bands.

I think late 2014 sounds about right for full implementation, though I might push it closer to summer of 2015 unless shareholders start getting pushy and other forces push it forward faster than the system and CMs can handle. Actually, that's kind of what I hope happens so that the guest-facing portion ends up flopping even worse than it will with them bringing it on excruciatingly slowly (can you say massive guest confusion over what they can and can't do with a half-baked system?) and they're forced to revisit the concept from the ground up and hopefully at that point people at the top have changed significantly enough that it can be parred back to much more sane levels and concepts.

WDW1974

Thanks for letting us know. Honesty & transparency from bloggers is appreciated.

True enough and I don't know Len at all (I think we may have met sometime in the past though), but if he or any of his staff/associates take things from Disney, then that should be stated. ... I believe @WDWFigment was working for him at the Cars Land opening when he was given a room at the Grand Cali for FREE as well as ticket media, food and booze and admission to the party. Those things always are tricky for bloggers especially the party/pressers/announcements because one could argue there is no price attached, but they certainly have a great value to many.

Also, many times, bloggers are given 'media rates' and they can be phenomenal (would you stay at the GF for $125 a night ... how about Pop for $40?).

It is very grey and is something I like to shed light on.

WDW1974

They're doing testing with a small CM group the next week or two, but that's the extent of the bands.

I think late 2014 sounds about right for full implementation, though I might push it closer to summer of 2015 unless shareholders start getting pushy and other forces push it forward faster than the system and CMs can handle. Actually, that's kind of what I hope happens so that the guest-facing portion ends up flopping even worse than it will with them bringing it on excruciatingly slowly (can you say massive guest confusion over what they can and can't do with a half-baked system?) and they're forced to revisit the concept from the ground up and hopefully at that point people at the top have changed significantly enough that it can be parred back to much more sane levels and concepts.

I just worry about how much more Disney will spend before either my date or yours (and beyond) on this thing ... again, as UNI and SW and Disney (just not in Orlando) continue to add REAL attractions.

Genie of the Lamp

I'll bet it will be fully implemented around the time 7DMT Opens (late spring-early summer 14). I could see them marketing a statement like this: "What better way is there to book your first fastpass+ then on our newest and coolest mountain ride where a million diamonds shine!". Even though there have been reported problems already, I still see a sense of urgency from Burbank Execs to get this out sooner rather than later so they don't eat up much more operating/spending/costs (and maybe for them at least try to get some revenue from it be it for selling the customized bands) that require them to make modifications to the system even though they already have and probably will do so in the future regardless. But hey I'm just throwing a blue sky guess here.

maxairmike

I just worry about how much more Disney will spend before either my date or yours (and beyond) on this thing ... again, as UNI and SW and Disney (just not in Orlando) continue to add REAL attractions.

It is obvious that they're already spending more on labor than they wanted. Very minor in the grand scheme of things, but I've noticed they've not had anyone (or far less often than before) out making sure paper ticket guests aren't confused and clogging up the lines at the new entry points for the last several days. This has resulted in a lot of angry DVC guests in particular as they have paper APs but stay at a Disney resort and aren't readily able to take advantage of the new system. They've resorted to their pathetic guest service recovery tactic of giving away FastPasses in the form of those FastPass key card things to paper ticket holders who raise a stink at the new entry points.

Burnt Toast

Yes. But there was also supposed to be a test upcoming for bloggers/social media. ... No idea when this is happening or even if it is at this point.

Key words that you just said... "test upcoming". It seems it was not this one.

Think about it, just using some common sense here (I know radical concept), you think the very first real test (from what everyone has been saying here) would be done with the media? It doesn't make sense.

If anything it looks like the MDE system glitched out and offered to it to folks that wasn't part of the test. It doesn't mean that you were included in the test, I'm sure you would have been notified if you were with NDAs or whatever.

I'm sure they'll be a more public test later... I mean, this was the first real one wasn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom