MyMagic+ Efficiency Update

danlb_2000

Premium Member
-The system cannot distinguish between two family members of the same name. My father and I are distinguished by our middle initials, which we specifically designated in our reservation, and which the cast members neglected to put into the system. If one of us was in the park, the other could not enter. In fact, one cast member even told my father that he was already in the park, when he was standing right in front of him.

Some of these types of things are excusable during a test period, but this one definitely isn't. The CM at the gate should have known about this testing and when an obviously incorrect situation like this occurred they should have noted it, apologized and allow you or your father in without further question.

mnrlblue

Really? I'd like to see where these stats are coming from, because in the first hand accounts I've read on boards like this and twitter (granted they are more qualitative and limited in nature, and may not project to the entire universe) I've only seen a handful of people that didn't need to take multiple trips to the front desk or guest relations to figure out issues with their accounts. It almost appears that those that have a relatively smooth trip are against the norm. I'll find out first hand in a week how well this roll-out is going, and if all goes smooth i'll come back and say as much, if not i'd love to chat with you and find out if my issues were against the norm as well.

Yes MOST families who use this system use it with few to no challenges. Obviously it wouldn't benefit me to be precise in how I know this.

Buried20KLeague

Yes MOST families who use this system use it with few to no challenges. Obviously it wouldn't benefit me to be precise in how I know this.

Way too many of us have first hand experience with how TDO will massage surveys and results to fit their need.

No offense, but I don't trust for a SECOND that your stats are actually accurate. I believe that's what they're telling you (assuming you are working with Dis)... But I don't believe it's an accurate representation.

wogwog

Really? I'd like to see where these stats are coming from, because in the first hand accounts I've read on boards like this and twitter (granted they are more qualitative and limited in nature, and may not project to the entire universe) I've only seen a handful of people that didn't need to take multiple trips to the front desk or guest relations to figure out issues with their accounts. It almost appears that those that have a relatively smooth trip are against the norm. I'll find out first hand in a week how well this roll-out is going, and if all goes smooth i'll come back and say as much, if not i'd love to chat with you and find out if my issues were against the norm as well.

Blue Sky stats.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Perhaps they believed they had a fix for it and were "TESTING" it. This is the purpose of having tests. While I feel for the OP, this was a test and they could have walked away from the test at any time. Those testing are given Keys to the Kingdom Cards just like everyother guess staying on property (whether they are involved in the test or not and just like they were a year ago when MyMagic+ had not existed yet).

At the end of the day, being a part of the test is kind of a "bonus" at this point as it's use for FastPass+ tickets is in addition to getting the standard FastPass options that all park guest currently have. This is why so many want to be a part of the test (check the other threads on the topic).

My family is participating starting next week in the test. I can tell you right now that if I experience issues that disrupt my vacation and cause agrivation, you can bet the MagicBands will be sitting in our suitcases and we will go on with our vacation as usual.

While I agree for the most part, I will say that if you are participating in the MyMagic+ test, you don't get to use both Fastpass+ and standard Fastpass options. We had to chose between those options, we did not get both. At least that is what the manager had told us at the front desk.

Our decision to remain with the test was not to aggravate ourselves further and not so we could have more ammunition to complain about, because we would much rather write positively worded letters to Disney after our trip rather than negative ones. Our decision was solely based on the fact that we had already gone through enough at that point. To throw everything away and just go back to our regular vacation would have made it even worse, because then we would have gone through all our troubles for nothing, simply wasting our time.

My only wish was that we knew the level of testing this system was at and how much comprehension of the material the staff had already undertaken. That was never made clear in the original pamphlet we received. I'm always curious enough to ride soft openings of attractions. This to me was like an attraction soft opening, only in this soft opening, MyMagic+ was the equivalent of cars flying off the tracks.

People sometimes like to spin MyMagic+ as an "attraction in and of itself" in order to somehow compensate for its astronomically high price tag. I'm not trying to be a negative nancy and drum up hate for a system that has not been fully rolled out yet, but I would like to point out that Disney is wrong with what they are doing. If Seven Dwarfs Mine Train soft opens to cars flying off the tracks, people would be in outrage. Forgive the macabre image, but if we are going to consider MyMagic+ to be an attraction, if Disney is going to invest billions of dollars into it, and if they are going to ask people to spend their vacation doing Disney a favor, then I think it's only fair to have all the cards on the table in order to have the guests as informed as possible regarding the specifics of their testing difficulties.

shmmrname

I was under the impression that it wasn't a soft opening, but a test... like a beta test for software. It sounds like it's just simply stuff that will need to be worked out, but might not be able to be worked out immediately. Many of the changes can take time to implement, which is why the test is happening in the first place.

Plus, whenever it is officially released in the wild, that's when the real problems start. That will be interesting to see, as any glitches or snags that happen then will need to be fixed on a much quicker time frame.

SJFPKT

-The system cannot distinguish between two family members of the same name. My father and I are distinguished by our middle initials, which we specifically designated in our reservation, and which the cast members neglected to put into the system. If one of us was in the park, the other could not enter. In fact, one cast member even told my father that he was already in the park, when he was standing right in front of him.

That seems like something they would have thought of long ago. I mean how many John Smiths come through there? You would think the easy fix to this would be to assign everyone "customer numbers" and just have that link to your profile so everything was unique.

So instead of having your name and everything on your magic band, you would just have your number which when scanned would pull up your specific profile from the server.

RunnerFool

Didn't the program launch like.. idk, THIS YEAR?? You can't expect it to be flawless in its early stages of development. Have you seen some early Disney concept designs? They just didn't draw one character and say "Yep, one try is enough for me! Let's use this picture of Beast that looks like a warthog!" I understand your frustration as Disney is working out the kinks, but you can't expect the process to go from beta to completely mastered in a matter of a few months. Maybe they are trying to teach the CMs, but there is a lack of understanding/communication? When I first started my job, I wouldn't say I "mastered" EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERYTHING in even a month. Give it time, people; quit handing the mouse the money if you are just going to come back and rant.

RunnerFool

Guys, things like what the OP described with bugs should have never made it out of Alpha testing! They should have been part of test scripts that internal users worked through well before Beta. Not sure why people still insist on defending these things.
Idk, because we're human so we all mess up?

durangojim

To the OP: (and I apologize if this has been mentioned already, I didn't see it in the thread) When you wanted to go to Stormalong Bay (the pool) how did CMs know you were staying at the YC? Did you still have to show them a key to the kingdom card or did they scan your magic bands?

ddrongowski

LOL! I can only imagine what my father's (and every other dad over 50) reaction would have been when they told him he was already in the park. "Sorry, you can't go in, you're already there."

This is what happens when you rely too much on technology. Sadly this same CM drove into a lake on their way home and drowned because their GPS told them too.
Dang it, you made tea come out my nostrils!!!!! ROTFLMAO

ddrongowski

I didn't realize that you still get your regular cards and can do regular fastpass as part of the test, now I want to participate even more!

Sorry to hear about OP troubles though.
So sorry, but it already says John Smith is in the park, and you say your name is "John Smith"? Oh and those extra fast pass plusses are already used also. Yes I know your name is not John Smith, but are common name issues going to span parties? I don't have to worry about this issue, but obviously some will.

ddrongowski

Thanks for the insights - i'll use them wisely when we're there testing next week.

Just a few words on the whole "Testing" thing and how some issues should be expected. While this is in "Testing" and guests should react accordingly, Disney is being very persistent in trying to get people to test, knowing darn well that many CMs are ill-trained and the there are a number of bugs. They sent me an email, a letter, AND called me to get me to test. (I was going to test anyhow, i just hadn't linked my tickets yet.) Anyhow, the CM on the phone was very persuasive in laying out all the benefits of the test and ignoring all the potential issues. All that was said was that it was in testing, there wasn't a caveat that testing could result in loss of time (and mind) during your vacation. They painted it through rose-colored glasses that this was a huge benefit, and it would only, in so many words, bring ease and joy to my vacation.

Similar to the OP, I knew what i was getting into without her telling me b/c i've read up on it and know how bad Disney technology can be. However, i feel bad for a first time guest or someone not in the know who thinks they are getting this great opportunity but aren't informed of the potential issues. They should clearly state that while in testing there may be software issues resulting in a significant loss of valuable vacation time.
Yes please sign up, after all it might screw up your vacation that you paid THOUSANDS of dollars for, but hey it's only money and your vacation you'll loose out on. Sounds like a great thing to participate in.o_O

Last edited:

ddrongowski

Can we move this - I'm tired of reading this in the news section. There's enough anti-MM+ threads active.
Sometime big ideas are big failures, no matter how much they cost. Just because something is presented as awesome and gotta have it, do it, love it, etc... Does not mean it is good (ever hear of a sandwich? want to eat a poop sandwich?) Sandwiches are a good thing, but a poop sandwich... not so much.

ddrongowski

I had placed it here because I thought it was news and current events regarding MyMagic+. And frankly, Disney has covered their faults with pixie dust and legacy long enough. They have had their chances. The only way things will get better is if enough guests oppose this ridiculously overblown and complicated system.

I'm sorry if you feel this is anti-MM+, but from experience, I can't find anything good about this system. And the word should be able to be out there.
And how much money did you pay for your vacation that was wasted on helping them test their system? Did they reimburse you that money, oh no that is in the disclaimer...... and was your fault.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
To the OP: (and I apologize if this has been mentioned already, I didn't see it in the thread) When you wanted to go to Stormalong Bay (the pool) how did CMs know you were staying at the YC? Did you still have to show them a key to the kingdom card or did they scan your magic bands?

No it hasn't that that's a really good question.

We could have used both. We wore our bands down the first day and a lifeguard stood with the MyMagic+ scanning device and we tapped our bands. However, the downside to that the lifeguard had told us, was that we would have to tap each and every time we left the pool area, either to grab lunch at Hurricane Hanna's, or Beaches and Cream, go back to the room, etc. So we just showed our room key and got a paper wristband, because we go back and forth from the hotel to Stormalong Bay a lot, and all we had to so was show our paper wristband.

Chezman1399

Interesting, on the My Disney Experience App, it separates people by user name, and Tickets and bands are linked to each name by number, so why names should even matter is beyond me. Why it would look up a name and not band ID doesn't make any sense. Is there any chance 2 bands got linked to one person? If so that's more input error than anything else, I'm surprised there isn't a quick fix in place for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom