My thoughts on Harry potter and Disney's plans

sublimesting

Original Poster
I am starting to wonder if Disney may have something up their sleeve. It just dawned on me that they were in the bidding for Harry Potter but Universal overbid them. This tells me that Disney obviously felt they had space and money to do something with the Harry Potter franchise. Since they lost the bidding I am sure they had a Plan B. Businesses always have a Plan B....it's called "Plan B". So do you guys think that Disney is now just reallocating the space and money resources to some new attractions or possibly a new gate? I do. It seems very unlikely that the executives just said "Well, that's that, back to status quo, guys!"
I don't think Disney feels HP is a threat or will directly compete with them, but it seems obvious to me that they DID feel they had space and money to invest in this franchise so will carry on with something else.

Disney has plenty of space and money for pretty much anything they want. I've seen several "behind-the-scenes" vidoes on tv and the web from Disney saying that they wouldn't go into specifics but they had enough resources (land and money, etc...) for more parks, hotels, and attractions.

I do not believe Disney will hurt from HP going to Universal. And I do think they have something else bigger and better planned. :D

ccmuffin2

I see everyone mention Harry Potter ..But no one mentioned the New Coaster Universal is getting that will travel out of the park and over City Walk with the special effects .

I see everyone mention Harry Potter ..But no one mentioned the New Coaster Universal is getting that will travel out of the park and over City Walk with the special effects .

Wow, didn't know about that. I've only been to Universal once. It was during my first trip to Disney. It was ok, but in my eyes (I was 5 then) Disney was better. Never went back to Universal nor have I had the desire to. Sounds like a nice coaster though!

Legacy

That's because Rip, Ride, Rocket is going to be a 169 ft tower sticking up on of the middle of Orlando. It's going to get plenty of attention without needing an overly massive marketing campaign. That... and it's an outdoor coaster. So to Disney fans it makes Universal "just like Six Flags."
Beastly Kingdom? I've seen several people mention this. What is it?
A pipe dream long vanished. With a Yeti being on the other side of the park... Beastly Kingdomme is no longer what was. If you want to visit it... you can go to Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure, though.

Laura

Premium Member
I don't understand why anyone thinks Harry Potter will compete with Disney World. If anything, it will bring more business to Disney.

hrcollectibles

That's because Rip, Ride, Rocket is going to be a 169 ft tower sticking up on of the middle of Orlando. It's going to get plenty of attention without needing an overly massive marketing campaign. That... and it's an outdoor coaster. So to Disney fans it makes Universal "just like Six Flags."

A pipe dream long vanished. With a Yeti being on the other side of the park... Beastly Kingdomme is no longer what was. If you want to visit it... you can go to Lost Continent at Islands of Adventure, though.

Isn't that where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Going

sublimesting

Original Poster
I don't think Disney has any intention of competing with Harry Potter. I do think that they obviously were on the verge of taking the BIG step of developing several rides and a new area for Harry Potter HAD they gotten it. This tells me that they ARE READY to get the ball rolling on some new things that are E ticket level.

Legacy

Isn't that where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Going

Only part of it is being rethemed.

That's what happens when people start nay-saying without knowing all the details.

The side closest to Suess Landing is remaining (the bizzare/ruins area). The Jurassic park side (the medievil section) is being rethemed.

Can you imagine if Disney had won the Harry Potter project? They would have done such a better job with themeing being as they are the best in themeing a section and sticking to it. The attention to details would have paid wonders to the millions of HP fans out there and I think would have increased revenue tons. But as I've never been to Universal I'm a little hesitant on expecting the same quality as I would have from Disney which is upsetting but oh well, what can you do?

asuburbanman

I tend to agree that having Harry Potter at Universal will still benefit Disney. Folks from outside of FL are not going to take a two or three day vacation with gas prices being so high, but will take a 7 day vacation to Orlando. Needless to say there is no way you can spend 7 days at Universal/IOA. Universal even knows this because they give people 5 free extra days when they purchase a 3 day ticket. I think you will see a lot of people taking at least 2-3 days to visit the Disney parks. Besides for the building of Hogwarts and the new dark ride they really are not adding to much to the park. That area of the park was already a snooze-fest.

fosse76

Can you imagine if Disney had won the Harry Potter project? They would have done such a better job with themeing being as they are the best in themeing a section and sticking to it. The attention to details would have paid wonders to the millions of HP fans out there and I think would have increased revenue tons. But as I've never been to Universal I'm a little hesitant on expecting the same quality as I would have from Disney which is upsetting but oh well, what can you do?

That is speculation. The area isn't built yet and you're saying Disney would have done it better? Nonesense. Disney would have taken it in a direction that Rowling would have no control over...and since it is HER world I think she made the right choice in choosing Universal, who has shown, with Seuss Landing, that they are just as equally capable of themeing as Disney.

sknydave

So Disney does a much better job of theming, yet you've never been to Universal.

got it.

jessyhalifax

Disney would have made a much better job even if Rowling had more control than they offered. Look at how many rides at universal are explosed and don't have much theming whereas you look at disney, All their rides are well themed and you can't see the supports of the track. Look at Everest well themed and you can't see the track or supports. If universal had done that it wouldn't be half as good.

So Disney does a much better job of theming, yet you've never been to Universal.

got it.

Did sound a bit ignorant, but I still feel the same way as do I'm sure many other people. Universal is a park suited toward thrills and not theming. As I have seen pictures, Universal does have some terrific environments that can compete with Disney easily yet they do not have the vast WORLD that Disney has in Florida. A little back-up to what I'm saying.... Magic Kingdom- All totally different themed lands yet tied together by the fact that it's a kingdom with different sections. Island of Adventure-Dr.Seuss, Jurassic Park, Superheroes, Popeye, and now Harry Potter. Where's the theming there? Regardless I will be visiting the Wizarding World seeing as I'm a HUGE fan and nothing Disney throws at me will stop that. All I'm saying is I would have preferred Disney won the rights.

Laura

Premium Member

HUH???

You've never been to a Universal park so how can you judge this? :confused:

Islands of Adventure is the most incredibly themed park I've ever been to! It is the PERFECT place to put a Harry Potter themed area and they'll do a phenomenal job with it. I'm very glad Islands is doing it instead of Disney.

Legacy

Disney would have made a much better job even if Rowling had more control than they offered. Look at how many rides at universal are explosed and don't have much theming whereas you look at disney, All their rides are well themed and you can't see the supports of the track. Look at Everest well themed and you can't see the track or supports. If universal had done that it wouldn't be half as good.
So... because Universal has five exposed coasters (I'll be easy on you by counting Dueling Dragons twice and the two kiddie coasters) Disney is better. I see track on the Barnstormer. I've never seen a train go up a mountain so steep like on Everest... or circle back on itself in a helix... completely illogical. And... yeah... you can see the supports on the drop outside the mountain. And you can see the rafters on the inside the mountain. If you have never experienced Spiderman, Poseiden's Fury, Jurassic Park (the whole island), Dueling Dragon's queue, the Revenge of the Mummer or Men in Black: Alien Attack, then don't knock Universal's theming. You look like you have no idea what you're talking about.
Did sound a bit ignorant, but I still feel the same way as do I'm sure many other people. Universal is a park suited toward thrills and not theming. As I have seen pictures, Universal does have some terrific environments that can compete with Disney easily yet they do not have the vast WORLD that Disney has in Florida. A little back-up to what I'm saying.... Magic Kingdom- All totally different themed lands yet tied together by the fact that it's a kingdom with different sections. Island of Adventure-Dr.Seuss, Jurassic Park, Superheroes, Popeye, and now Harry Potter. Where's the theming there? Regardless I will be visiting the Wizarding World seeing as I'm a HUGE fan and nothing Disney throws at me will stop that. All I'm saying is I would have preferred Disney won the rights.
Um... it's multiple islands... each representing a general theme or property. Why is the world of tomorrow nestled between a cartoon mouse's home and a turn-of-the-century American Main Street?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom