My onsite Disney days are coming to an end

captainkidd

Not sure what it is, but the past couple of days I've come to the realization that if we are to continue going to Disney, it will be off-site. We've been very lucky in the past with discounts and bounceback offers, but none seem to be coming for next year (though it is still early.)

As a family of 5, our options are limited. And since we have to go in July, when prices are very high, it makes it that much worse.

I'm just having a difficult time justifying to myself spending nearly $7,000 to stay at the Poly, when I could stay offsite for 1/4 of the price. We could do the All Star Suites, but in the summer, those are even $300 per night. Riverside is an option, but the rooms are way too small for a family of 5, and the bus transportation, especially when crowded, absolutely sucks. 2 rooms at a Value Resort in the summer would be over $300 per night. The fact is, Disney simply doesn't offer enough affordable options for larger families.

I was looking online last night, and we could all take a 10 day Carnival Cruise, everything but booze included, for about $3,000. We could spend 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom condo on the water in Aruba for $2,000. When you start seeing things like that, you can't help but ask yourself, is Disney simply getting too expensive?

sbkline

Currently, they have the All Star Family Suites at the All Star Music Resort, and in 2012, they are supposed to be opening the Magic of Animation Resort. This resort will be in the value category as well, and half or more of the rooms, if I understand correctly, will be family suites as well.

So for a family of 5, you shouldn't have to get two seperate rooms. You should be able to get a family suite and I think that would be cheaper than two rooms, although I could be wrong, since I've never stayed there before. But it's something worth looking into.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Currently, they have the All Star Family Suites at the All Star Music Resort, and in 2012, they are supposed to be opening the Magic of Animation Resort. This resort will be in the value category as well, and half or more of the rooms, if I understand correctly, will be family suites as well.

So for a family of 5, you shouldn't have to get two seperate rooms. You should be able to get a family suite and I think that would be cheaper than two rooms, although I could be wrong, since I've never stayed there before. But it's something worth looking into.

The All Star Suites are $300 per night in July (when we have to go.)

I'm more or less just venting. I'm seeing people getting the 40% off pin for the dates in July when we're going and while I'm happy for them, I'm jealous. That pin would make all the difference in the world. We're on every Disney mailing list there is, but we still never get them.

Upvote 0

sanaj2000

I hear you. Ever think of trying a vacation home near disney? They are very nice and inexpensive as well. I have a party of 17 and we are only paying 1,500 for the week.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I hear you. Ever think of trying a vacation home near disney? They are very nice and inexpensive as well. I have a party of 17 and we are only paying 1,500 for the week.

I haven't, but I am going to. We've gone in the past and spent 2 full weeks at Disney. I think the new plan is stay off site, go to Disney for a week, and hit Sea World, Universal, and other area attractions.

I'm getting jaded. I've spent a lot of money at Disney over the years. I've NEVER regretted any that we spent, but I feel like now, they're starting to take advantage of my loyalty. Not zeroing in on me specifically, but the folks like me who go every year, and spend lots of time and money on property.

Upvote 0

paul436

I know how you feel. I also have a family of 5 and the 5th person adds a great amount of expense to the lodgings. This is true not only of Disney but other vacation spots as well. But it pretty much prices me out of doing a Disney cruise which I so want to do.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I know how you feel. I also have a family of 5 and the 5th person adds a great amount of expense to the lodgings. This is true not only of Disney but other vacation spots as well. But it pretty much prices me out of doing a Disney cruise which I so want to do.

That is why I tell my wife I do not want more than 2 kids. For one you are outnumbered and two it makes vacations a whole lot more difficult.

@captainkidd Don't worry about staying offsite, just think of the money you can save staying in a vacation home and bring along friends or something to save on the expense and then take another trip at some point during the year with the money you saved if you can.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I understand your frustration and I have seen your posts in the DVC threads as well. I think that you should possibly consult with a travel agent and see if there are possible ways to save on the trip. Not sure how big your children are, but Riverside rooms can sleep 5 with the trundle bed.

While I didn't get involved in the heated discussion on the DVC thread, you might want to start looking at some of those resales as well. While I know your thoughts on the topic, by your admission your numbers were a bit off. Having been a travel agent for KK and now a DVC owner, I would be happy to help you out with some points if you would like.

If all else fails, there are plenty of decent places in the WDW vicinity for a cheaper price. It all depends on the perks you are looking to get.

Upvote 0

danpam1024

due to financial reasons one year, we stayed off site- at the Nickhotel for less than 1/2 the price in a much more accommodating room. I don't understand why in the world Disney's hotels aren't more like the Nick:confused:. If your target is families, make longer vacations more comfortable for families! 1 br for mom and dad (hello- we still need privacy on vacation), 1 br w/ bunk beds for the kiddos, a living room w/ a pull out sofa bed, large bathroom, and mini kitchenette- home away from home:wave:

That being said...nothing makes me feel the way I do when we pull up to the front gate at the Boardwalk and the guard says,"Welcome home!":D

Upvote 0
We have begun to stay off property in a place called Windsor Hills. It is off 192 and we abs. love it. We get a 3 bedroom condo for the same price as a single room at a value resort on property. The facilities at Windsor Hills are amazing and we love having all that room to spread out in the mornings and evenings.

Upvote 0

Kamikaze

Not sure what it is, but the past couple of days I've come to the realization that if we are to continue going to Disney, it will be off-site. We've been very lucky in the past with discounts and bounceback offers, but none seem to be coming for next year (though it is still early.)

As a family of 5, our options are limited. And since we have to go in July, when prices are very high, it makes it that much worse.

I'm just having a difficult time justifying to myself spending nearly $7,000 to stay at the Poly, when I could stay offsite for 1/4 of the price. We could do the All Star Suites, but in the summer, those are even $300 per night. Riverside is an option, but the rooms are way too small for a family of 5, and the bus transportation, especially when crowded, absolutely sucks. 2 rooms at a Value Resort in the summer would be over $300 per night. The fact is, Disney simply doesn't offer enough affordable options for larger families.

I was looking online last night, and we could all take a 10 day Carnival Cruise, everything but booze included, for about $3,000. We could spend 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom condo on the water in Aruba for $2,000. When you start seeing things like that, you can't help but ask yourself, is Disney simply getting too expensive?

2 rooms at a value. Done.

Upvote 0

tampabrad

I totally agree. Having a wife and kids must suck. I get to go to WDW whenever I want and always get a discount.

Unfortunately, the government doesn't see me as a tax paying human being and I can't get married and have a family.

Suck it up dude! There are worse things in life than not being able to stay on property on your next WDW vacation.

Upvote 0

joannecasey

We are a family of 4 but always travel with another couple. We stay at a beautiful 4 bedroom home in the Emerald Island Resort. So close to all the parks and when we travel (oct/nov) the price is only $80 per night ! We found such an amazing deal with this gentlemen and we would never stay anywhere else again.

Good luck with your plans wherever you decide to go !

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I totally agree. Having a wife and kids must suck. I get to go to WDW whenever I want and always get a discount.

Unfortunately, the government doesn't see me as a tax paying human being and I can't get married and have a family.

Suck it up dude! There are worse things in life than not being able to stay on property on your next WDW vacation.

Um, yeah.....Because that's what I was trying to say.

Anyways, to everyone else, thanks for the tips. I looked into the Dolphin today and it would shave about $3,000 off the price, and that's for a room with a balcony and a view. They don't seem to care as much about the whole 5th person in a room thing as Disney does, which I STILL say is just a way for Disney either to:

A.Force you into getting 2 rooms.
B.Force you to stay in a Deluxe Resort.
C.Force you into buying DVC.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Funny you bring all of this up. While DH and I are super excited about our upcoming trip with the kiddos- we'll probably stay off site for future trips if there are no good discounts to be had. There's always the Waldorf or the Peabody if we want luxury. You also bring up a good point on what else you can get for the $. For this reason alone, we probably won't do anything more than a day or two (three max) at WDW for quite some time after this trip.

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Eh, don't feel bad about staying off site. The vacation homes seem like a great option, I'd definitely check them out if I were in your situation.

Upvote 0

CheshireKat

I don't blame you- $7000 is a lot for one vacation. I love staying onsite, but I've been eyeing the Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort (it's right next to the Caribbean Beach). They have really nice 2 bedroom condos that rent for around 850 a week. I've been reading this thread on the disboards called something like the "I love bonnet creek resort" on their offsite hotel sub-board. That is seriously tempting me to save money and stay somewhere where we aren't all on top of each other!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom