Rumor My Genie Conclusions - The Future of WDW’s Ticketing

TYOTimer

I dont know Hagrids was fun, I mean a Great Imagineer (cough baxter, cough cough rolly, cough cough davis) would have knocked it out of the park, but it was good for a Uni ride, at least there wasnt a screen. :)
It’s fun, don’t get me wrong, but, Velocicoaster makes it feel docile and boring, tbh

TYOTimer

Hagrids is awesome and considered one of the best coasters ever made. what are you talking about?
Personal opinion. I still enjoy Hagrids, but it feels like it’s going to be a short lifespan with it because it’s over complicated. But Velocicoaster is next level, and the future of themed coasters, IMO.

TYOTimer

In what way is it over complicated?
I just feel like the amount of launches with show scenes and blocks that it runs makes it over complicated. Like it’s a technical marvel, but I worry about the longevity of it because of how complicated it is. That’s why I see it as over complicated.

Same way as I see ROTR as over complicated, except it isn’t as groundbreaking as Hagrids is

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I just feel like the amount of launches with show scenes and blocks that it runs makes it over complicated. Like it’s a technical marvel, but I worry about the longevity of it because of how complicated it is. That’s why I see it as over complicated.

Same way as I see ROTR as over complicated, except it isn’t as groundbreaking as Hagrids is
How does that hurt you as a rider? Are you working the dispatch for the ride? Its a cool coaster that is always in motion even on the load platform. only time it comes to a stop is for the drop track and they work that into the story with an element straight from the first movie that is cool.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hagrids is an over complicated mess. Velocicoaster seems like one of those Eisner crack dreams that somehow ended up as a masterpiece
It’s mechanically a mess…the concept is “extreme enough” + theme/AA…that’s what I meant by “simple”…it’s a simple formula

it breaks down all the time.
I dont know Hagrids was fun, I mean a Great Imagineer (cough baxter, cough cough rolly, cough cough davis) would have knocked it out of the park, but it was good for a Uni ride, at least there wasnt a screen. :)
It’s the best or second best ride in Orlando…and whoever built it gets something that isn’t always caught with a $500 mil WDI budget

guardians had BETTER be as good or better…no excuses.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I can see the parallel…but if you managed to get off both without them going 101…one is just a way better/more fun ride

TYOTimer

I can see the parallel…but if you managed to get off both without them going 101…one is just a way better/more fun ride
Bingo. Hagrids is an amazing experience. ROTR feels amazing because you’ve almost had a severe panic attack trying to get a boarding pass for it, but after a few times it becomes mundane. Hagrids is still a completely unique experience for what it is, and so is Velocicoaster. And I know I’m likely in the minority, but I believe Velocicoaster is better than Hagrids

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bingo. Hagrids is an amazing experience. ROTR feels amazing because you’ve almost had a severe panic attack trying to get a boarding pass for it, but after a few times it becomes mundane. Hagrids is still a completely unique experience for what it is, and so is Velocicoaster. And I know I’m likely in the minority, but I believe Velocicoaster is better than Hagrids
One and done for me…I’ll not stalk the phone for that again…

maybe someday when the bluster fades and reality is the norm about it?

I’ve heard some personal accounts that velocicoaster is Being underrated…
…and that’s perfect considering how much disneyphants labeled it a “stupid, dull looking normal pre-fab” when they just went ahead and built it without five years of bluster and 2 guys working on it a day…

…little brother grows up at some point

TYOTimer

One and done for me…I’ll not stalk the phone for that again…

maybe someday when the bluster fades and reality is the norm about it?
I’ve done ROTR over a dozen times, mostly because during the early days of COVID it was easy to get boarding passes at 1 PM. After the 4th time I was bored and decided I’d just rather wait for Tower of Terror

TYOTimer

I’ve heard some personal accounts that velocicoaster is Being underrated…

…and that’s perfect considering how much disneyphants labeled it a “stupid, dull looking normal pre-fab” when they just went ahead and built it without five years of bluster and 2 guys working on it a day…

…little brother grows up at some point
Velocicoaster had sky high expectations for me, and it blew me out of the water. It’s a coaster that could be put in Michigan’s Adventure or some C rate park, and would still be considered world class. I’m not even gonna lie, I had tears of joy after riding it front row at night.

It’s up there with things like Fury 325 and such in the coaster realm.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve done ROTR over a dozen times, mostly because during the early days of COVID it was easy to get boarding passes at 1 PM. After the 4th time I was bored and decided I’d just rather wait for Tower of Terror
Well I’m biased but I always try to limit it as much as I can.

the bias is what a disaster the IP sourcing is. Just in a wound from decades ago. I’ll own that.

but it’s really not a thrilling ride at all. Very well built/constructed with some novelty elements…but too short to really get much buzz off any of those elements. Just a very…boring…thing to have it be any kind of a “crown jewel”

two things at half the cost would be more effective longterm…even without the 11 second screen based sim thing.

well built land but so many idea/creative/expectation flaws all around.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Velocicoaster had sky high expectations for me, and it blew me out of the water. It’s a coaster that could be put in Michigan’s Adventure or some C rate park, and would still be considered world class. I’m not even gonna lie, I had tears of joy after riding it front row at night.

It’s up there with things like Fury 325 and such in the coaster realm.
I’m no longer an ACE guy (I was…)

but I can appreciate it still. It doesn’t have to take forever and promise theming at the expense of excitement.

sometimes a cake can just be a cake. And cake is fun.

somebody has repeatedly done that of late…and they’ve dumped capacity, ride length and repeat enjoyment to do it.

but I won’t criticize 🤪

TrojanUSC

Well I’m biased but I always try to limit it as much as I can.

the bias is what a disaster the IP sourcing is. Just in a wound from decades ago. I’ll own that.

but it’s really not a thrilling ride at all. Very well built/constructed with some novelty elements…but too short to really get much buzz off any of those elements. Just a very…boring…thing to have it be any kind of a “crown jewel”

two things at half the cost would be more effective longterm…even without the 11 second screen based sim thing.

well built land but so many idea/creative/expectation flaws all around.

HALLWAYS: THE RIDE®

Chomama

Totally agree. My kids enjoy the thrill of getting a boarding pass but they also never get excited on the actual ride. The trooper room makes them all happy. The rest is meh. And that’s from huuuuuge Star Wars fans. My 4 year old watches part of a Star Wars movie every single night since he turned 2!

UNCgolf

but I can appreciate it still. It doesn’t have to take forever and promise theming at the expense of excitement.

It depends on what you want in a ride, though -- for me, theming basically is excitement. Velocicoaster, while undoubtedly a great coaster, doesn't look remotely interesting to me. That's why I don't ever go to the Six Flags 25 minutes from my place.

Sheer physical thrill gets a shrug from me. I get motion sickness now, but even when I was younger and didn't it still didn't do much for me. E.g., I liked all of the EPCOT rides far more than any coaster as a kid. Even Hagrid's doesn't look like an especially good ride for me personally. Jurassic Park River Adventure is my favorite ride at Universal.

That's not a comment on the overall quality of those rides, though. Just a comment on what interests me personally and what attracts me to a park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It depends on what you want in a ride, though -- for me, theming basically is excitement. Velocicoaster, while undoubtedly a great coaster, doesn't look remotely interesting to me. That's why I don't ever go to the Six Flags 25 minutes from my place.

Sheer physical thrill gets a shrug from me. I get motion sickness now, but even when I was younger and didn't it still didn't do much for me. E.g., I liked all of the EPCOT rides far more than any coaster as a kid. Even Hagrid's doesn't look like an especially good ride for me personally. Jurassic Park River Adventure is my favorite ride at Universal.

That's not a comment on the overall quality of those rides, though. Just a comment on what interests me personally and what attracts me to a park.
That’s why I said “have to”…

at one time…Disney parks were all show and slow - when the competitors where wooden coasters…

they did it the best.

and then they realized something was needed/missing.

it’s how you ended up with a Matterhorn…a splash…a tower.

as my friend mentioned…sometimes thrown together worked. Like rnr coaster.

they have moved too far away from looking for that again.

hell…building a tron clone is an admission of that. So you have to stay in that game to some extent.

this is an old axe to grind for me. Star tours was a missed opportunity. Get a little bit of speed/gravity involved for that specific title.
Well…they tripled down on “sims”….
Just such a lack of understanding what they have what would be the best…

meh…I’ll move on now 🤪

and by the way…hagrids it a fantastic ride. It’s good for the potter fan and the middle of the road park attendee. That’s what you want. Disney Hasn’t delivered on something like that in 25 years except flight of passage.

early reports are velocicoaster is is in that “neighborhood”….maybe a peg below. But not “rise of the prop show” or dinky or the mine train of wait…

so it is really what it is. A lot of bluster and drinking the sand for a high bill.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Totally agree. My kids enjoy the thrill of getting a boarding pass but they also never get excited on the actual ride. The trooper room makes them all happy. The rest is meh. And that’s from huuuuuge Star Wars fans. My 4 year old watches part of a Star Wars movie every single night since he turned 2!
1000%

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom