My Disney Documentary.

vhsshoulddie

Original Poster
Well after keeping silent for almost 3 months my negotiations are almost complete and I can speak about it. For my first real Documentary I am will have full Access to the Disney World Resorts. I will be staying on Disney property for 6-12 moths. I am going to document everything possible in Disney. But most importantly this is about the parks, the people who work there and the people who visit the parks.

I will stay in Different resorts but mostly staying in the value resorts but will stay in the others during slow times. To offset the cost of me staying in Disney for FREE. I will make my own bed and tidy up the room myself. Not a bad deal.

We have several ideas in the works for what we want to do. I would like a daily and or weekly video journal on the Disney website but we are still negotiating that. Also might have an office in the old Animation studio building at MGM.

I want to be able to follow guests around all day especially those coming to the parks for the first time. I will also document a day in the life of Disney Cast Members from management and on down. But the fun one will be the imaginears.......

I will have a website up this summer. And anyhelp from you guys would be appreciated. What you would like to see would be great.

The dates of which I will be there are not confirmed as of yet. Either Sept 1 or Nov 1. I will also have to go thru 1 week Disney Crash Course training. And Will have my own Directors Coat and Shirt and Disney Name tag. I am not getting paid for this. But Since I love Dinsey I thought it would be well worth it. We are expecting to have 10k hours of footage which I will have help to break down into several small documentary's and a few bigger ones. I would love to get it on the Disney channel.

And yes this will be one giant disney commercial but who cares, it will be fun.

Disney Documentary Guy.

vhsshoulddie

Original Poster
One more piece of Information for you guys. Did you know that Disney Management reads these boards from time to time. I found out when talking with them about the documentary. On occasion they take advice from here.

UncleJeet

I've often thought how much I would like an in-depth long term documentary about the WDW resort. I hope your project is going to do more to show why and how the resort is unique in the world, and less in the vein of, say, the travel channel "documentaries".

Most people who have never been to WDW have no real urge to go because it's seen as just another amusement park, but with Mickey Ears on. People don't understand the size and scope of the park, nor the fascinating and dizzying logistics that go into keeping in running 365 days a year.

Anyway, I hope your project turns out well and brings something new to the table.

Slipknot

Originally posted by vhsshoulddie
One more piece of Information for you guys. Did you know that Disney Management reads these boards from time to time. I found out when talking with them about the documentary. On occasion they take advice from here.

Well, if I remember correctly a while back that a news site had a report that WDWmagic was the first to get info or pics on the net about Mission: Space. So I wouldn't doubt it.

BTW. Congrats on getting the green light!!!!

DonickCo

You are so lucky….ive wanted to do that for years….if u need any help…. Please feel free to PM me…

-DonickCo

WDWFREAK53

I don't know about following guests around all day...even with permission...I don't think first timers would really want that...granted, they may because they're nice...but I know if I was going for the first time, I wouldn't want someone documenting everything I do.

Congrats on everything though! I would just steer clear of that...maybe have volunteers from your company have you follow them around.

vhsshoulddie

Original Poster
It will only be myself and my sound guy working the whole time. It was just an interesting concept to work on. We want to show what makes Disney so magical from how Disney Trains their cast to how magical the charachters make you feel.

And we want to be able to put rumors to rest while we are doing this. We are compiling a list of these rumors so we can properly address them.

And I am hoping to be able to direct a commercial for them if all go's well. When we get the site up and running input will be greatly appreciated. We will try to film whatever your little hearts desire. But not mickey undressed.

StevenT

Good luck to you, sounds like it'll be really fun to film, and will turn out nice.

Just out of curiosity, what type of camera do you use?

civileng68

Account Suspended
what?

What is this all about? who are you? Where did you come from? How did you get this? I mean, why would they let you do this? Do you work for some major company or something?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Lights, Camera, Disney

Sounds like a great opportunity, and as you can tell, there are a lot of folks here who can always critique, offer suggestions or angles. If you spend some time looking through the many historical avenues presented here as well as current "hot topics" I think you can get all the ideas you could hope for.

With the sensationalized bash Disney sweeps stories to the pure Disney propaganda, it would be nice to see that rich world in between.

Once you get going, you ought to set up a diary here and we will be happy to travel with you from afar.

barnum42

Originally posted by vhsshoulddie
Eisner - Take the hint and take a hike!

vhsshoulddie - good luck with the project. Something I would love to have done!

MKBurn15

Really? Could you help me with my Disney Documentary? I plan to do a ten-minute documentary on the Communication of Disney World and how it communicated to the world? This is for my school history day project.(The theme is Communication in History) Could you act as a primary source even as just for some info? I plan to tape some footage myself down in WDW. Of course I think I have to give some background on Walt first... If you can help me please e-mail me.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
MKBurn15

For your communication documentary, I would suggest comparing Disney communication (everything is perfect) to the media approach to Disney (we have to find something wrong with them) to the reality somewhere in between.

There is a whole lot of background data you can get on this site!

vhsshoulddie

Original Poster
Some people have asked how could I be so lucky to get this gig. Well I shall tell you. Persistance pays off. We sent Disney 300 letters and several video documentary's that we did on our own while travelling down there for 2 years. And we finally got a call back on it.

Disney thought it was an interesting idea. So we pitched it and wala, we go it. All in all we spent 10k of our own money to get this far and will make nothing on this project unless it became very very popular. But just the fun in doing this will be enough.

Kwit35

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
I don't know about following guests around all day...even with permission...I don't think first timers would really want that...granted, they may because they're nice...but I know if I was going for the first time, I wouldn't want someone documenting everything I do.

Congrats on everything though! I would just steer clear of that...maybe have volunteers from your company have you follow them around.
I wouldn't mind. What a wonderful way to remember your first visit.

Kwit35

WOW! Have fun. Need help? I do amateur stuff for friends, family, and a little for the school I work at. I love it.
Any idea when you might be releasing anything? Year, two years...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom