My apologies to the entire board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club Cooloholic

Yes it seems like when I was younger (a long time ago kids!) people could say someone’s idea was bad without saying that person was bad. My go-to phrase “let’s just agree to disagree and move on”.
Well when there are men that are supposed to be leaders screaming awful things about people that are in the opposing political party, oh wait they scream at members of their own party too, its no wonder our society reflects them.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I'd email Guest Relations about your party experience. I went to party one year that was just a bad experience and wrote a nice email explaining my disappointment. Disney gave me an egiftcard refund for the 2 tickets.

I was going to suggest the same thing. This isn’t the place to go into detail, but I’ve had wonderful experiences with Disney guest recovery.

The key is to be polite, concise and undemanding. We never asked for anything, but the few times things went wrong we were pleasantly surprised by Disney’s response. It’s one of the reasons we keep going back.
Now is a great time to do it. You can still smell that new recovery budget smell! I had a friend who worked for guest recovery for many years. (She had great stories) You definitely get more in the beginning or middle of the fiscal year than at the end.

BuddyThomas

I actually appreciate it when the moderators step in to tell people to stay on topic. One or two off-topic posts can't be helped, but if people want to go into in-depth discussions about matters that are not the subject of the thread, it's much better if they start a completely different thread. Anyone is able to do so. People clicking on a thread about the impact of a hurricane on WDW don't want to sort through page after page about electric cars.
On the other hand, the thread you are referencing is called “Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida”. The title says nothing about WDW, and thus, the scoldings and deletions on that thread last week were freaking over the top.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes it seems like when I was younger (a long time ago kids!) people could say someone’s idea was bad without saying that person was bad. My go-to phrase “let’s just agree to disagree and move on”.
Very true.

The difference was probably dude to face to face or over phone.

Now we have cyber wars in real time debate format Over fiber optic cable. It leads to more of a standoffish thing. It seems?
Good things in advancement and not so good.
We are all strangers…but if we met, it would be a party amongst friends.
That’s the good.

And after mono and I finished our jello wrestling grudge match on the Italy lagoon overlook…we’d buy drinks for everyone at the tequila bar 👍🏻🍹

Chi84

Premium Member
On the other hand, the thread you are referencing is called “Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida”. The title says nothing about WDW, and thus, the scoldings and deletions on that thread last week were freaking over the top.
We can agree to disagree. As I said earlier, I appreciate the moderators’ efforts to keep threads from going entirely off-topic.

Since the site is WDWMAGIC I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the mods to assume people are primarily interested in how the thread subjects relate to WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…got to move on from this one, Cowboy…let it go

The problem there is that thread would…and very quickly turn to politics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
People are just getting nastier and meaner since the pandemic started, especially in my area. I mean Phoenix usually tops the charts in rudest people, but I just read a story about two women who robbed a man with down syndrome of $900. He was a cart attendant at a grocery store, they asked him for money and snatched his wallet from his hands when he went to grab them cash. There's also people taking advantage of others kindness by asking for money in the street corner. The same corner for several years but it's always, ALWAYS someone different, as if it's coordinated and well planned out (which it is).

mysto

Aww, can't believe I missed that. Like a fool I stopped reading after the hurricane.

They should offer a premium membership that allows you to see the deleted stuff.

Raidermatt

The debates can be interesting. I think as a community though the problem lies with not being able to have certain discussions without being overwhelmed by negativity. It drowns out what is trying to be talked about. People get discouraged and the community shrinks.
I can agree with this, provided its understood the negativity comes from all sides. What I mean is illustrated by the post from AndyS2992 below. He shared his experiences, which were negative, and then was hit by negativity from people upset because he was not sharing positive experiences. So people who want positivity are attacking someone for not being positive. Which of course is a form of negativity. But it gets back to people's identity, and really, the basis for at least part of their self worth, being tied up in a fandom. It all becomes personal because a negative comment about anything in the fandom is interpreted as a negative comment about them, or at the very least their "team" or "tribe". It's us vs. them and the vast majority of people have no interest in actually learning anything or developing themselves. They just want their own beliefs echoed back to them which validates them. Quite unfortunate.

Goofyernmost

I think that tone is the answer to your first question. There are ways to politely disagree or oppose without sounding like a total jerk, and the tone of a response goes a long way in determining which category a person fits into.
Your first sentence defines very clearly how easy it might be to be misinterpreted. What you wrote can be interpreted in two ways. First it can mean that you are trying to point out how important tone is and you are correct. The problem is that there is no tone in written words. It depends on how one reads it. "I think that tone is the answer to your first question" when read one way can mean that you think that my first question set my specific tone. The reduction of one word changes the entire meaning. If it read I think tone is the answer to your first question, it changes the entire way it can be interpreted. I am going to assume that you meant it in the latter way. :)

Either way, I didn't take it as a slam, but my point is that it is very easy to read something wrong and a minor war begins. We are all not only susceptible to this, but I'm sure all guilty of accidentally doing it. The moral of the story is in the words of Elsa... Let it go. It will make you much more able to enjoy the boards.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
Your first sentence defines very clearly how easy it might be to be misinterpreted. What you wrote can be interpreted in two ways. First it can mean that you are trying to point out how important tone is and you are correct. The problem is that there is no tone in written words. It depends on how one reads it. "I think that tone is the answer to your first question" when read one way can mean that you think that my first question set my specific tone. The reduction of one word changes the entire meaning. If it read I think tone is the answer to your first question, it changes the entire way it can be interpreted. I am going to assume that you meant it in the latter way. :)

Either way, I didn't take it as a slam, but my point is that it is very easy to read something wrong and a minor war begins. We are all not only susceptible to this, but I'm sure all guilty of accidentally doing it. The moral of the story is in the words of Elsa... Let it go. It will make you much more able to enjoy the boards.
Exactly the point I was making, totally agree with you!

MickeyLuv'r

You know, I was tempted to start a similar thread a few days back. The internet, and dialogue on large platforms has really become terrible. It seems in some ways natural that negative discourse would come to this corner of the internet, but is also lamentable.

It would be great if everyone made an effort to clean up this forum by way of aiming to be more considerate. I enjoy reading different opinions, and I welcome WDW information and tips, and reading about others' experiences.

One aspect of discussion I see not mentioned so far in this thread are the times when two or more posters go back and forth just saying - more or less the same thing over and over. There are times when clarifying makes sense, but many threads would be more interesting if we could try to limit how much we repeat ourselves.

I'd love to see us find a way to step in from time to time when we see a thread going off the rails. Like if we could come up with a few good reminder tools. We currently have the popcorn emoji, but maybe we could come up with something that = the opposite of popcorn. Like maybe Thumper:

One irony here is that the theme/message of many Disney movies is to treat each other with kindness, and/or that we are stronger when we work together, and/or to accept our differences, etc. For people who love Disney, it sometimes seems we have missed the message.

Attachments

• 1664905370213.png
    1664905370213.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 31

LittleBuford

You know, I was tempted to start a similar thread a few days back. The internet, and dialogue on large platforms has really become terrible. It seems in some ways natural that negative discourse would come to this corner of the internet, but is also lamentable.

It would be great if everyone made an effort to clean up this forum by way of aiming to be more considerate. I enjoy reading different opinions, and I welcome WDW information and tips, and reading about others' experiences.

One aspect of discussion I see not mentioned so far in this thread are the times when two or more posters go back and forth just saying - more or less the same thing over and over. There are times when clarifying makes sense, but many threads would be more interesting if we could try to limit how much we repeat ourselves.

I'd love to see us find a way to step in from time to time when we see a thread going off the rails. Like if we could come up with a few good reminder tools. We currently have the popcorn emoji, but maybe we could come up with something that = the opposite of popcorn. Like maybe Thumper:

One irony here is that the theme/message of many Disney movies is to treat each other with kindness, and/or that we are stronger when we work together, and/or to accept our differences, etc. For people who love Disney, it sometimes seems we have missed the message.
I agree with all of this and love the idea of a Thumper reminder!

As someone who often falls into the trap of repetitive back-and-forth exchanges, I think what happens is that when another poster seems to misunderstand you, you convince yourself that you can fix things by clarifying the point. But then that doesn’t work either, so you try again, and again, and before you know it, you have dozens of posts saying pretty much the same thing to no avail. In such situations, clarity is rarely the issue, and if the second attempt at explaining doesn’t work, it’s probably best just to walk away. It’s a lesson I’m still trying to learn!

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
I really appreciate everyone's responses, including the suggestions and/or recommendations for how I (and the rest of us) can better understand each other and work toward making this forum a more considerate place. As many of you have pointed out, disagreement and debate are not only to be expected at a place like this, but are also a healthy thing, so long as conducted in a civil and respectful manner.

Unfortunately, notwithstanding the many nice sentiments expressed in this thread, there are still some folks here who just cant help themselves from being rude and launching personal attacks. Indeed, just last night, one particular poster (no need to name him) apparently saw this thread and, rather than joining in with the feelings being discussed or even just not bothering to comment on them at all, actually took the time to go out of his way to search out an old post that I had made in order to have a vehicle to personally attack me and call me multiple childish names. Of course, the ironic part (which was clearly lost on him) was that, in attacking me, he was doing the very thing that he was attempting to call me out on. Anyway, I guess the point is that, no matter how many of us see the importance of admitting when we are wrong and trying to better ourselves in that regard, there are still some really miserable people out there. Oh well.

Again, thanks to everyone in this thread for the nice feedback.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really appreciate everyone's responses, including the suggestions and/or recommendations for how I (and the rest of us) can better understand each other and work toward making this forum a more considerate place. As many of you have pointed out, disagreement and debate are not only to be expected at a place like this, but are also a healthy thing, so long as conducted in a civil and respectful manner.

Unfortunately, notwithstanding the many nice sentiments expressed in this thread, there are still some folks here who just cant help themselves from being rude and launching personal attacks. Indeed, just last night, one particular poster (no need to name him) apparently saw this thread and, rather than joining in with the feelings being discussed or even just not bothering to comment on them at all, actually took the time to go out of his way to search out an old post that I had made in order to have a vehicle to personally attack me and call me multiple childish names. Of course, the ironic part (which was clearly lost on him) was that, in attacking me, he was doing the very thing that he was attempting to call me out on. Anyway, I guess the point is that, no matter how many of us see the importance of admitting when we are wrong and trying to better ourselves in that regard, there are still some really miserable people out there. Oh well.

Again, thanks to everyone in this thread for the nice feedback.
…ain’t nobody likes a bully 😡🤓

MickeyLuv'r

Sometimes people crave attention, and they don't care how they get it. One of the most powerful tools we have is to ignore demands for negative attention. It is HARD. Sadly, it is often learned in childhood.

I'm going to add a few Disney quotes to this thread...

“Even miracles take a little time.” — Fairy Godmother (Cinderella)

it's that the opposing poster insinuates (bluntly or passively) that the person who does like it is "stupid", "naïve", "ignorant", "ill-informed", and pretty much an idiot.

But there are times, select times, when one needs to be called out due to sheer asinine and/or dishonest postings. Posting nonsense should not be rewarded with silence. The dishonesty usually comes in the shape of extreme bias/partisan.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
But there are times, select times, when one needs to be called out due to sheer asinine and/or dishonest postings. Posting nonsense should not be rewarded with silence. The dishonesty usually comes in the shape of extreme bias/partisan.
Just out of curiosity, who determines if something is nonsense or is asinine, such that another person deserves to be “called out” as you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom