Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Broadway Backwards - Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS annual benefit concert where the actors perform songs usually sung by the opposite sex. Here's Darren Criss singing "Getting Married Today" from Company.

I looove Darren. But... he wasn't quite getting the melody correct. And as a showcase that the other sex can do the part just as well as the one it was written for, he didn't show the virtuoso chops of doing it as fast as some other productions have done it. Plus, it was done on Glee, so, he should have known better. Sorry, Darren.

And Michael kept scooping to his high notes. And not in the good way.

But... these events are thrown together with minimal rehearsal (like just one) so, I give them a pass!

And yes, I'm hypercritical.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
My cousin and his wife bought season tickets for the shows at the Palace Theatre in Columbus. They told me over the weekend that they cannot use two of their shows... soooooo guess who is seeing Rent this weekend???

Taking a friend who has never seen Rent before- which for my group of musical loving friends, there seem to be a lot of them :jawdrop:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I am bitter that Charlotte is getting Frozen and Jesus Christ Superstar next season and Orlando isn't!! Dr. Philip's Center may be newer, but the Blumenthal Center still brings better shows every season. Sometimes I miss living in NC ;)
I’m in NW Ohio, and this year’s Broadway tour season was pretty weak compared to other years :( Also, the tickets were all way more than expensive than they should have been.

The Lion King is coming next season though, so I’m excited to see that again.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Orlando's upcoming season is lackluster imo, but whatever. I guess it's fine because I'm using the funds for concerts (and two rodtrips this year) so it works out
That’s fair. Both Hamilton tours that have been in the major cities near me (Detroit and Columbus) have both sold out or had their tix become ridiculously expensive, so I’m planning on just going to Chicago now. Not sure when, but that’s the plan.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
My afternoon today 😀

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Okay here’s how I feel about Rent (as a 27 year old who has watched it twice in the past two months; the TV version and now the National tour)-
Act 1 is like damn near perfect. The music is great, the plot flows well, minus the major question of what time in the day all this starts, because act 1 is all on Xmas Eve. The build up to meeting Maureen still works. I’ll admit that the lyrics to Tango: Maureen seem a little clunky, but I’ll forgive it. We spend a decent amount of time with all of the main characters getting to know them, their backgrounds, and their love lives.

Act 2... struggles. After the intimacy of Act 1, Act 2 moving so quickly is just sort of jarring. Like, we see almost nothing of Angel & Collins’s relationship, except for Angel being sick. Meanwhile, Benny & Mimi get together out of almost nowhere. We knew from a few lines in Act 1 that they used to date, but it still feels sudden. Possibly because Benny isn’t a fleshed out character at all (he’s been married to Alison for what, a year? But dated Mimi three months before Christmas Eve... and then dates her again... and none of his friends- former or current- call him out on this????)

Also, I think the Collins at my performance was white, which felt VERY wrong to me.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Not a musical thing, but a theatre thing: a high school in NJ put on their own version of Alien as a play, and it looks amazing (FYI, there’s some non-Disney friendly language in the article). Kudos to the everyone involved:

BuddyThomas

Well it's that time of year again.....when Manhattan Class Company (MCC) does their annual fundraiser - Miscast - when all the songs are sung by theatre stars but of the opposite gender of which they were intended. Tickets to this averaged in the $500 range and many were much higher than that. Here are some videos from the event! Enjoy!

GO THE DISTANCE -Hercules

JERSEY BOYS MEDLEY

ALL I CARE ABOUT -Chicago

GOTTA HAVE A GIMMICK - Gypsy

FEED ME - Little Shop of Horrors

BuddyThomas

Well, Hadestown opened and it got pretty much rave reviews. The producers have already taken away all discount codes and have raised ticket prices. Grrr. Here is the latest trailer they have put out, which really captures the essence of this fantastic show:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom