The Prom is freaking amazing. Great music, great story, funny and very moving, a total crowd pleaser.The musical that I would love to see if I can ever get to NYC is The Prom. It looks to have so much energy involved in the show. Has anyone seen this show and if so what are your thoughts of it?
Heard on the radio today: "I'm surprised that the Elton John movie isn't doing as well as Bohemian Rhapsody".
It's really not that surprising??? Rocketman was R, Bohemian was PG-13. If Elton John wanted a PG-13 film of his life made, he would have gone in that direction. Instead, he wanted his life to be shown warts and all.
Anyways, I did finally watch Bohemian Rhapsody this week. I personally liked Rocketman more, but I still liked it!
I feel like Bohemian had less box office competition. Rocketman had Endgame and Aladdin. Regardless though, Rocketman did turn a profit in the end, and that makes me happy.Critics liked Rocketman better, too. Rocketman is ending up with close to a $30M profit. Bohemian wound up with $470M.
Atrocious Couldn't they have used real costumes and make up from the stage production and then shrunk the actors down to size?! This is truly one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen.Ummmmm.....errrrrrr........uhhhhhh......
The Five Stages of Dealing with the 'Cats' Trailer
"Well. It happened. Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could watch the Cats trailer, they didn't stop to think if they should watch the Cats trailer.
Late today, the star-studded, digitally furred first glimpse of the conceptually bewildering film dropped. Directly on me. We all knew it would be a lot. I mean, it's Taylor Swift and Jennifer Hudson as cats singing on extra large furniture. We're not exactly talking mumblecore here. But the two minutes and twenty-three seconds of trailer that we were given are, without hyperbole, some of the most deeply disturbing images ever put on screen. Midsommar could never. Hereditary found dead in a ditch.
I am at a loss for words beyond, "WHY GOD, WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS?"
Like, I know JHud sings that a new day has begun but—hear me out—what if the new day ended immediately? What if it was erased from my mind, Eternal Sunshine-style? What if I changed my name, moved to a deserted island, shed all my belongings, and spent the rest of my years trying, desperately, to forget?
Ninety seconds into the trailer I had already texted my psychiatrist and told her I needed to schedule an emergency session despite her strict "No screaming about movie trailers" rule. Whatever, Dr. Tuttle, just charge me extra.
How do I feel about the Cats trailer? How do you think I feel? Betrayed. Bewildered. I am trying to process. Dr. Tuttle says that I will experience the five stages of grief as I let go of my former life before I saw the Cats trailer. Let's go through them together.
View attachment 391240
Okay, absolutely not.
There is not a movie named Cats. The cats in the movie named Cats do not have some fur but also fur-colored skin and also fingers and ******* maybe?? Nope. That is not a thing that is happening in this world.
The cats look like the alien that Joaquin Phoenix sees in Signs and therefore this is something that I just dreamt and not something that is happening in any way shape or form.
I mean let's be real: this is not a creature that my brain can make any sense of.
View attachment 391241
Is that Stitch from Lilo and Stitch? Is this Panic! At the Disco? Nope. It's not a thing. This isn't happening!
View attachment 391245
Serious question: where is the rest of Jennifer Hudson's head? Sis is going to win a second Oscar with part of her head digitally missing and I am furious! I am so furious I refuse to even make the obvious pun here. I WILL NOT.
James Corden, who I believe is playing The Penguin from Batman Returns spits on another cat and we're supposed to just roll with it. NOT ON MY WATCH.
ALSO! Idris Elba looks SEXY AS HELL and I am MAD about it in a way that is very confusing to me. Sexually!
Some cats wear coats and hats and some cats are naked and I want to throw a chair about this whole thing.
How can we make this right? If I stop holding a grudge about Russell Crowe's speak-singing in Les Mis, will Tom Hopper bury this trailer in the backyard like Carly Rae Jepsen's disco album?
What if I go see Cats on stage. And wait at the stage door for autographs? Will that help?
Should I buy a cat?! DOES THE CAT WANT TO PLAY WITH A GIANT BRA? WILL THAT APPEASE IT?
View attachment 391247
Taylor Swift is holding a bedazzled urn of catnip and that would normally send me into fits of camp ecstasy. But like Morales in A Chorus Line, I feel nothing.
View attachment 391248
WAIT. She's also wearing character shoes! The cat is wearing character shoes! Like she's auditioning to play Sheila in A Chorus Line. WHY? I am broken.
I'm going to see this movie literally 100 times."
This is pretty hysterical:
I Watched the Cats Trailer, and I Have Some Questions
Earlier today, the fabric of the space-time continuum stretched and rearranged itself. The Cats trailer dropped. It prompted a handful of questions.
1) There are cobbles on the street. Is this Victorian London? There’s also a lot of neon. Is this Las Vegas? There’s also a person on all fours arching her back like a cat, even though she’s obviously human. But she has a tail. I don’t know.
2) She just turned around and, holy God, she has a human face, cat ears, a white leotard the texture of coir matting, and a forehead like Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What is she? Am I high? Is she high? Is this the final glitch in The Matrix that ushers in the end times?
3) This sounds like Jennifer Hudson singing “Memory.” No one should sing “Memory,” apart from maybe Maude Apatow. There’s a neon sign in the background advertising a “milk bar,” which means we’re fully committed to the idea that these monstrosities are cats. Either that, or this is a trippier remake of A Clockwork Orange. A man in an extravagant hat just slipped through an iron gate, so I’m sensing the latter.
4) There are lots of cats now! One just arched his back menacingly at the lady cat, like real cats do. Then he took her hand. Which they don’t. Are they dancing? Do cats dance? Are Post-its engines? Is cream cheese avuncular?
5) Dame Judi Dench is here. Who would do this to Judi Dench? Why is she wearing a fur coat? And not a cat-fur fur coat, a fur-fur coat. She says, “I haven’t seen you before.” Why not? Dame Judi’s face looks like an albino peach. I don’t know what to do.
6) There are so many cats! All arching their back and adopting a catlike physicality! They’re doing something that I can only describe as “cavorting” in a sick-green bedroom. The most concerning thing is how small they seem to scale with the furniture. They are almost … cat-size. Are they actually cat-cats? Why are they dancing in pillow fluff? Why is the lady cat wearing a necklace? Is one cat a pearly king cat? Why does he look so concerned?
7) Jennifer Hudson has just appeared peeking out from behind a curtain and I think she’s a tabby cat? The graffiti behind her is distracting. Do cats like street art? How do they hold the spray cans?
8) I’m pretty sure the cats are now putting on a revue in the supermarket from The Handmaid’s Tale. Why?
9) James Corden is apparently in this. And Jason Derulo. And Idris Elba, although from what I can see he remained unblemished by cat hair? This is good and just. Sir Ian McKellen, by contrast, looks like he fell asleep on a radiator covered in pile fabric. Taylor Swift is wearing a unitard and high heels, which is unsurprising: I’m guessing she wears those things a lot. But can cats wear high heels? Can they fit their padded feet in works of leather or synthetic vinyl? If cats wore shoes made of animal skin, would that make them cannibals? Cattibals? Swift has a red sequined container labeled “Catnip” that she’s shaking and I don’t think we should go there.
10) Rebel Wilson is a tap-dancing marmalade cat who gets one of her hands, sorry, paws, stuck in a mousetrap. Why are there candles behind her? None of this fur looks safe around an open flame.
11) They’re all dancing and singing now. Jennifer Hudson is belting. How did Tom Hooper go from The King’s Speech to this? What screwed-up dollhouse are these cats living in? Why is one of them sitting down at a human table with a knife and fork? Is this Animal Farm? Four legs good, two legs completely bonkers?
12) I don’t know that T. S. Eliot would approve. But he did write The Waste Land. “He who was living is now dead / We who were living are now dying / With a little patience.” Yup, that about sums it up. It makes sense now. The end of the world is here, and Cats is showing us fear in a handful of digital fur.