• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Advertisement
With only 7 nominated musicals, who gets a live number on the broadcast? My money would be on The Cher Show, with an appearance by Cher.
If a show is nominated, they are guaranteed a live performance on the broadcast. So all will definitely be performing, and yes, I have a feeling you are right. Cher has been very involved with The Cher Show, and she even performed a number at curtain call on opening night.
So, yeah, I would not at all be surprised if she performed on the broadcast. :)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Great Scott!!! A Back to the Future musical is happening!!!

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Just saw Rocketman and I was super happy for most of the movie. Watching the debilitating effects of addiction, not so fun, but this was a movie that literally had Bennie and the Jets during an orgy, and I definitely lip synced along to most of the film.

It’s a jukebox musical, rather than a straight biopic (because this movie was never going to be straight 😉), and I was in my happy place.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Just saw Rocketman and I was super happy for most of the movie. Watching the debilitating effects of addiction, not so fun, but this was a movie that literally had Bennie and the Jets during an orgy, and I definitely lip synced along to most of the film.

It’s a jukebox musical, rather than a straight biopic (because this movie was never going to be straight 😉), and I was in my happy place.
It was simply amazing. I love how they did not shy away from addiction or gay stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody did.

Plus, the fact that this was a flat out musical was incredible.

While I always enjoyed Elton's music, I was never a hardcore fan, so it was really wonderful hearing all those great songs again, especially when done in such a spectacular way.

Highly recommended. Unless you are a raving homophobe. In that case, do not pass go, do not buy a ticket. The gay stuff is addressed and it is in your face.

And I'm just fine with that.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Highly recommended. Unless you are a raving homophobe. In that case, do not pass go, do not buy a ticket. The gay stuff is addressed and it is in your face.
Actually, I’m going to say the opposite- see the move anyways, you might learn something and have a change of heart.

The only people who shouldn’t see the movie are kids. Lots of drug use and swearing.

What baffles me is that apparently this is the first major picture with a sex scene between two men, and I thought it was pretty tame in comparison to what I’ve watched on TV shows.

I just want to give a moment to shout out Taron Egerton. He gave a phenomenal performance in this movie, and should start being cast in more musicals.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So i’m going to start this by saying I still haven’t seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet, but I know a bit about some of the controversies. And it pains me to know Rocketman won’t achieve the same kind of box office success since it’s R rated. This was a full fledged musical about a man who overcame is demons and found love in the end (and lived), and yet, it’s R. Now, I definitely wouldn’t take kids to see it, but I feel like anyone over 15 could probably handle it.

Quinnmac000

I can't find but find it humorous that Universal kicks Disney's butt when it comes to Tony winning stuff for things they produced (Mean Girls the musical, Waverly Gallery, To Kill a Mockingbird, Wicked of Course, last year's revival or Caurosel, and many more) yet get no credit yet Disney gets tons of credit for their broadway stuff

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
The musical that I would love to see if I can ever get to NYC is The Prom. It looks to have so much energy involved in the show. Has anyone seen this show and if so what are your thoughts of it?
The Prom is freaking amazing. Great music, great story, funny and very moving, a total crowd pleaser.

It didn’t win any of the Tonys that it was nominated for and it is struggling at the box office so I don’t think it is going to last on Broadway much longer, but Ryan Murphy bought the film rights, and he’s adapting it as a movie for Netflix.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
In honor of World Pride, happening right now, here are a few videos from Broadway Bares (all profits to Equity Fights AIDS). They Are a little (okay, a lot) risque, hard PG-13 ratings, but a lot of fun.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Heard on the radio today: "I'm surprised that the Elton John movie isn't doing as well as Bohemian Rhapsody".

It's really not that surprising??? Rocketman was R, Bohemian was PG-13. If Elton John wanted a PG-13 film of his life made, he would have gone in that direction. Instead, he wanted his life to be shown warts and all.

Anyways, I did finally watch Bohemian Rhapsody this week. I personally liked Rocketman more, but I still liked it!

Top Bottom