• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I’m just going to put out a wishlist for these live musicals:

“Safe” (Because JCS, Rent, and Hair aren’t exactly for tiny kids)-
  • Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
  • My Fair Lady
  • South Pacific
If they continue on the risqué track-
  • Assassins (I don’t see a network actually having the brass to do this, but I really enjoy that show)
  • Cabaret
  • Avenue Q
And the ‘It’s Never Going to Happen on this format’ list-
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Into the Woods
  • Hamilton
  • Chicago
  • Wicked

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Advertisement
My amazing clients Valerie Vigoda and Brendan Milburn, who have written so many songs for Disney parks that I have lost track (including a song for the upcoming Star Wars Cantina) have a great musical called ERNEST SHACKLETON LOVES ME and it is on right now on PBS, channel 13 in the NY area. There are a few rebroadcasts, and in other parts of the country, they may air on other dates. Catch this if you can. It's a wonderful story about the power of optimism. Something we can all benefit from these days.

http://www.playbill.com/article/off-broadways-ernest-shackleton-loves-me-broadcast-on-thirteen-november-26

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Here is the clip from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade that had homophobes from coast to coast losing their minds and declaring that Macy's had ruined Thanksgiving because of one very innocent same sex kiss.

I was on the fence about seeing this show, but once all the homophobes began blowing up NBC's Facebook page, I bought two tickets for this past Saturday night, and this thing is incredible. So hysterical. So touching. The show America needs right now. The NY Times review I posted earlier was spot-on.

The only thing I object to in this video is that it is the final number in the show, so.....spoiler alert. Macy's basically broadcast the final number and the ending.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Here is the clip from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade that had homophobes from coast to coast losing their minds and declaring that Macy's had ruined Thanksgiving because of one very innocent same sex kiss.
Forget the same sex kiss... it had something worse and more vile... same sex dancing!!

Princess Leia

Original Poster

I was on the fence about seeing this show, but once all the homophobes began blowing up NBC's Facebook page, I bought two tickets for this past Saturday night, and this thing is incredible. So hysterical. So touching. The show America needs right now. The NY Times review I posted earlier was spot-on.

The only thing I object to in this video is that it is the final number in the show, so.....spoiler alert. Macy's basically broadcast the final number and the ending.

Huh, add this to the list of ‘Why are you performing the last number of the show??’ for the parade. It happened with Once on this Island last year too.

Anyways, I follow some Broadway actors on Instagram, and they all have been raving about The Prom (I’m going to skip watching the video for the spoiler reason, but I’m assuming everyone dances and sings to their happily ever after).

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Huh, add this to the list of ‘Why are you performing the last number of the show??’ for the parade. It happened with Once on this Island last year too.

Anyways, I follow some Broadway actors on Instagram, and they all have been raving about The Prom (I’m going to skip watching the video for the spoiler reason, but I’m assuming everyone dances and sings to their happily ever after).
It's really a great show.

AJH219

artvandelay

Donna Summer musical closing 12/30/18. The Lunt will not be dark for long, but haven’t heard what’s going there.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So I’ve been a fan of Team Starkid since almost the beginning (they’re the team that made the Potter musicals), but their new show is probably their best original non-parody musical. It’s called ‘The Guy Who Didn’t Like Musicals’, and it’s a horror-comedy. Lots of words that you can’t say on this site, if that’s a deterrent for you, but I laughed my butt off tonight watching this:

Also, a shout out to Darren Criss (a founding member of Starkid) FOR WINNING A FREAKING GOLDEN GLOBE TONIGHT! Proud fan here

Princess Leia

Original Poster
No. Lindsay explains it better than I ever could (yes it's long, but one can speed up YouTube vids :) )...

Here’s my thing about Rent- I like the music, but I’ve kind of grown tired of the plot.

That being said, I love Brandon Victor Dixon and want to hear him sing Sante Fe, sooooo I’m watching it

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
So, the tv version worked it’s way around this! It actually made the song part of the plot, which made me like it for the first time in years.
Well, how about that. A director who thought having the cast sing directly into the camera for five minutes wasn't a good idea! ;)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Well, how about that. A director who thought having the cast sing directly into the camera for five minutes wasn't a good idea! ;)
They just saved it for the end when they brought the original cast out to do a reprise of the song.

Kudos to Fox for pulling this thing off in light of derailment. The singer who played Roger broke his foot during the (fortunately filmed in front of a live audience) dress rehearsal on Saturday, so all but the last 15 minutes were from that performance. Roger was just stuck on a table wearing a boot cast for the (actual live) portion of the show.

Which brings me to wondering whether or not these shows need to be live the night it airs. If you’re not going to have understudies (???), then you can’t be shocked if you have to move to plan B (as a former understudy myself who had to go on opening night, it’s a little personal lol).

The show was good though. I forgot about the nitpicking I have done over the years about the show and enjoyed it. The cast was great, though a little imbalanced (Valentina and whoever played Mimi both need a little more vocal work for their singing abilities). I also had to cast aside suspension of belief with the age range of those on stage- Jordan Fisher and Brandon Victor Dixon (who made me cry again, y’all) do not like they are similar ages to run around the same friend group. The show was heartwarming, and I was singing along with the cast.

Between this and JSC, I think the ‘rock operas in front of a live audience’ formula works. I am VERY curious to see how NBC pulls off Hair, and what Fox decides to do next.

Top Bottom