Rumor Muppets to Take Over The Hall of Presidents

Brer Panther

All I can hope is that they have really good writers on board, and this won’t be another Under New Management.
I could totally picture at least one of the Muppets (probably Piggy) barging in and complaining about how "boring" the show is a la Iago. Hey, maybe the Tiki Gods will blow HER up too!
Why are the Muppets suddenly the go-to IP for US history? Because of one character lampooning gung-ho patriotism?
Yeah, I think it's probably because of Sam. And while I do think a Sam-hosted Hall of Presidents could be funny, that doesn't mean I want it to happen or think that it needs to happen.
Stich is available since he just had his attraction shut down.
Let's not give Disney any ideas...
What happens to the AAs?
They'll probably just trash them all. Maybe throw 'em in the same dumpster as the Splash Mountain animatronics.
Does anyone remember that when Eisner wanted to remove "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" in Disneyland and replace it with the muppets, the backlash was so ferocious he dropped the idea? Learn from the past, TDO. Try not to be stupid THIS time.
Iger wanted to get rid of Figment again even after the backlash against removing him the first time. Clearly, he has learned nothing from Eisner's mistakes.
You mean like the "charming" stories they told in their last flop movie, their last flop TV show, and the sucky streaming series?
I admittedly liked the ABC show, despite its flaws. But yeah, I suppose it does qualify as a flop. Only got one season. And yeah, Muppets Most Wanted sucks, and so does Muppets Now.
IMO, the muppets mismanaged the muppets. The movie "Muppets In (from?) Space" was a huge box-office bomb, and that was BEFORE Disney bought them.
Eh, Muppets From Space is still better than It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie, the last film the Muppets made before being bought by Disney. At least Muppets From Space didn't have unbelievably out-of-place adult humor.

techgeek

Why are the Muppets suddenly the go-to IP for US history? Because of one character lampooning gung-ho patriotism?

If you had to pick a kid-friendly IP with a history of making adult subjects accessible to all without offense that’s under the Mouse’s umbrella, what other one would there be? Bonus points they are already proven MK residents.

Disney has mismanaged the Muppets since purchasing them. We’re not taking the Jim Henson/Frank Oz Muppets; this’ll be the awful, more recent versions.

Even under Jim, the Muppets had their misfires. Goes with the territory with the kind of humor / improv workflow that’s their legacy. I think the Henson company has been putting out some great stuff lately. The Netflix Dark Crystal series was amazing. Earth to Ned is sort of hitting a interesting quirky rhythm. I found Muppets Now! On D+ about 50/50, some great Muppet moments and some admittedly dead skits, but the overall tone was true to the characters

The only IP that could enter into this equation and maintain the original attraction's integrity (if executed well) IS The Muppets. Judging by their "Great Moments in History" show, I have some faith.

This.

Look, I have a real soft spot for both HoP and AA, but when I was a kid honestly of the two I found HoP boring... I didn’t really develop an appreciation of it until I was an adult. I think making the show more accessible to the key MK demographic is a very good move.

Skywise

It's the muppet shoow with our very special guest Mr. President Joe Biddeeennnn... yaaaayyyyyyyy

I'm for keeping as is - maybe going back to NOT having the current president speak and a generic show up front before unveiling the Presidents because that always seems to be a sticking point (and it's CHEAPER TOO!)

But between this and the changes of Epcot's Future World - it just seems to be Disney running towards dumbing everything down because it's asking too much to elevate the audience.

BasiltheBatLord

I love The Muppets but this doesn't seem like the right place.

Assuming this is real, it will depend on execution I guess. It could be done tastefully and not that bad. But the idea is pretty out there.

champdisney

If true, this is probably Disney’s strange way to phase out The Muppets. Have them make a silly mockery out of the The Hall of Presidents for a few years. Then they’ll be more than likely put an end to Muppet Vision 3D somewhere during that timeframe... AND THEN when things seem to get “better” in the political side of things, return HOP back to its traditional setup... while The Muppets lose their place within the parks.

lazyboy97o

Do it.

Politics will only get more divisive, candidates more controversial.

Spare us the agony of a change every 4-8 years, and put the Muppets in place with a charming story told in a way only they can.
Except this is not what is being described. It is not The Muppet American Adventure. It’ll still have the latest polarizing president every four to eight years. Like Stich’s Great Escape they would not be removing the supposed problem while taking away what makes it work.

Last edited:

matt9112

Current muppet show in MK is great. I haven’t set foot in HOP in over 4 years. I’m sure there will be a whole new crowd should they continue with tradition. So I am for this. Bring it on.

Theres nothing wrong with the show even if you dislike the current president etc. To not be able to enioy it period because of that is quiet sad. But to each his own.

RSoxNo1

I'm on board for replacing The Hall of Presidents, not downplaying the seriousness with the Muppets. This makes zero sense.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I love the muppets and always want more muppets... but this would be a horrible mistake.
We talk about the loss of edutainment in epcot... this is worse
we talk about the loss of disney history... this is that
we talk about the dumbing down of society... this too
knee jerk reaction.. yep it would be
I understand not wanting to deal with the current situation or have to update constantly. Easy fix remove the last 60-80 years. Make it truly historical and dont update it again.

No, we talk of the failure of Edutainment in Epcot.

RSoxNo1

You mean like the "charming" stories they told in their last flop movie, their last flop TV show, and the sucky streaming series?
I hope you're right, but regardless Hall of Presidents is something that doesn't make sense. A show that gets mediocre attendance, has to be updated every 4-8 years and is at best, mildly divisive? That's not something that should continue in a Disney theme park.

If the show is Great Moments in American History in that theater space, I'm on board. If it's Lincoln speaking with the Muppets providing commentary, that's a disjointed mess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom