MSEP to Return to WDW for 50th Celebration?

If my research is correct, wasn't there a WDW copy of the MSEP made in 1977 that was shipped to Disneyland Paris in 1992 and later to Hong Kong? If I remember correctly, @marni1971 said it is still sitting there in a warehouse, possibly still packaged. If that is the case why should we borrow DL's version? Why can't they ship WDW's version back? The only difference is that it has not been upgraded, and that could be good for nostalgia.

brb1006

If my research is correct, wasn't there a WDW copy of the MSEP made in 1977 that was shipped to Disneyland Paris in 1992 and later to Hong Kong? If I remember correctly, @marni1971 said it is still sitting there in a warehouse, possibly still packaged. If that is the case why should we borrow DL's version? Why can't they ship WDW's version back? The only difference is that it has not been upgraded, and that could be good for nostalgia.
The WDW version of MSEP wasn't in good shape when it was running at Paris for a couple years. It was infamous for being shorter, lack of performers, and out of order (especially in it's final years at Paris).

prberk

I think it is amazing that a billion-dollar plus company like Disney, whose specialty is entertainment and who builds movie sets and props every day and who used movie-set concepts to invent the theme park, cannot build a parade from scratch (even rebuilding an old one like Spectro with new highlights). They used to be able to do this.

It makes zero sense.

What is lacking is the will. Period.

ImperfectPixie

I think it is amazing that a billion-dollar plus company like Disney, whose specialty is entertainment and who builds movie sets and props every day and who used movie-set concepts to invent the theme park, cannot build a parade from scratch (even rebuilding an old one like Spectro with new highlights). They used to be able to do this.

It makes zero sense.

What is lacking is the will. Period.
And an ability to keep costs to what things should actually cost.

ImperfectPixie

I assume you mean prices they charge, not "cost" (their cost). I have no doubt that they have the negotiating power to keep costs on their side for most variables.
Assume all you like. I doubt they are able to at all...people (contractors, etc.) see the name "Disney" and immediately imagine dollar signs...and prices inflate.

ETA: This happens in the day-to-day world, too...companies providing services will inflate prices anywhere they think they are able.

yensid67

I am surprised if this is true! I wonder why and how they kept MSEP around but have gotten rid of BELOVED Light shows... Epcot's Lights of Winter, Osbourne Dancing...saying they were OBSOLETE! You would think MSEP would be OBSOLETE by now because I don't remember a MAJOR OVERHAUL! Like everyone is saying....this is a MAJOR ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY that cannot keep the lights up to par. Lights of Winter only had to be updated with LED's and Osbourne the same and moved to Disney Springs-just modified for the buildings. Those 2 lights could have been free but attracted thousands of locals and guests that could spend money at Disney Springs in return for the FREE displays!

rodserling27

Wait, wait...I had not heard that WDW's original version was still in a warehouse in Hong Kong. I heard they had been destroyed (and possibly sunk the scraps of the floats in the ocean). If it's still around...dang, they need to bring it out of storage and give it back! Fix that thing up, man! Give it a complete makeover! Get it running again, bigger, badder, and better than in 1977! The original WDW version was slightly bigger than DL's too, even more reason to get it over here!

Bocabear

Real Nostalgia for us WDW fans would be to bring back a new upgraded modernized version of our original night time parade Spectro Magic...Newer, more units, new technology...as long as they don't make it all digital screens so it isn't Televisions rolling down Main Street...
They have the talent to do this...should they care to...
Amid all the price hikes on every facet of a WDW vacation it would be nice to see something original and fresh...

brb1006

Real Nostalgia for us WDW fans would be to bring back a new upgraded modernized version of our original night time parade Spectro Magic...Newer, more units, new technology...as long as they don't make it all digital screens so it isn't Televisions rolling down Main Street...
They have the talent to do this...should they care to...
Amid all the price hikes on every facet of a WDW vacation it would be nice to see something original and fresh...
Yeah I really hope WDW's new electrical parade won't be using too much digital screens like Paint The Night does.

rodserling27

Paint The Night, anyone?

Spectro wasn't WDW's original parade though...MSEP came first! But I think you probably meant it was a WDW original. ;) I'll take anything, it would be better than what's there now.

Trekkie101

I seem to remember @marni1971 saying that Fantillusion was gone as well (but I could be mis-remembering).
So far as I know it’s still mostly intact.
So is Fantillusion potentially on the table for a return? Somewhere.
I’ve not heard it as a consideration. But it should be if it needs to be a hand-me-down.

Sorry to bring bad news but Fantillusion is dead, scrapped years ago. Around 2012.

I think 2 or 3 floats may have survived in original form, one or two others are used in the halloween cavalcade (refurbished bases). The rest are totally gone.

- I was always more hopeful for the second copy of MSEP but it never reappeared after Paris so it may be dead too.

ToTBellHop

Sorry to bring bad news but Fantillusion is dead, scrapped years ago. Around 2012.

I think 2 or 3 floats may have survived in original form, one or two others are used in the halloween cavalcade (refurbished bases). The rest are totally gone.

- I was always more hopeful for the second copy of MSEP but it never reappeared after Paris so it may be dead too.
Boo! Guess they have to build a new parade or give us nothing.

TTA94

There was that rumored parade name called Animazment!, before Paint The Night got announced for DL. If that was a real rumored name I don’t know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom