movie about Walt?

lcsrig

Original Poster
Does anyone know if there's ever been a movie made about Walt Disney's life. How it all started with a mouse?
I was just wondering. We have movies like Kinsey, Pollock, Ali, etc. Why not one about Walt Disney?

Merlin

Account Suspended
I've often wondered the same thing myself. I would love to see a quality movie made about Walt's life. I've formulated a theory, which may or may not be correct, as to why such a movie has never been made...

Basically the movie could be made by either Disney or another studio. If Disney were to make it, I imagine it would be quite sugar-coated and portray Walt in an almost God-like manner. Showing any of his human weaknesses would be risky and I imagine Disney wouldn't want to take that risk. Most of the success of the Disney brand is based on the image of Walt. Unfortunately, a movie that didn't show any of that side to him would probably be pretty boring. That would doom the film to failure, which would also present the risk of harming his image...and thus the company's.

If another studio were to make the film, that studio would be more likely to show Walt's human side. After all, another studio would have no incentive to want to portray him in necessarily a positive light. This could, I imagine, potentially lead to a lawsuit. Consequently, there probably aren't a lot of studios lining up to make this movie.

Just some thoughts, but I could be completely wrong.

dixiegirl

you would have thought that their would have been a movie made for the 100 years celebration about his life..i find it so amazing that one man came up with this idea..the idea of disneyland and disneyworld...pure genius...i say it whenever we're walking through magic kingdom..."can you believe one person started this?? yes i know he had plenty help..but still...its just to bad that he never got to see disneyworld in all its glory.. :(

AEfx

Although not a theatrical film, the movie shown at the end of the "One Man's Dream" exhibit is pretty neat.

I think part of the reason you haven't seen one is two-fold. First, the rights issues - you don't need the rights to make a bio-pic about someone (ask Elizabeth Taylor, who brought a landmark case against producers of an unauthorized TV film about her because she said she owned the rights to the events of her life - she lost the case), but imagine a bio-pic about Walt without Disneyland. And I'm sure the mouse isn't about to let someone film in the park unless they approve, which they would only do if it was a totally sanitized version, of course.

Second, although Walt's life was amazing, there isn't a TON of dramatic tension. He was happily married, he had a few false starts at the begining, but once Snow White, and then Disneyland, proved themselves a success there wasn't a lot of drama. He then died a relatively old man.

Don't get me wrong, I think the man was inspirational, but bio-pics don't just get made about people that aren't controversial. Some Walt biographies paint him a bit like Martha Stewart in terms of attitude and controlling behavior, but that in and of itself isn't enough to make for real drama.

I really enjoy the film at "One Man's Dream" - I'd really like to see that extended and released; sanitized or not, it's a good film.

AEfx

LUV4Goofy

If we were lucky enough to have a movie made about Walt's life and accomplishments, who would you think would be great at playing Walt??

I think George Clooney :kiss: would make a good Mr. Disney.

TheSuperTom

There is a DVD out called "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth." It's a documentary about his life and all. If you're on disney property, you can actually buy this dvd at many of the stores that sell dvd's, otherwise, do a google search and you can find lots of sites selling it.

barnum42

TheSuperTom said:
There is a DVD out called "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth." It's a documentary about his life and all. If you're on disney property, you can actually buy this dvd at many of the stores that sell dvd's, otherwise, do a google search and you can find lots of sites selling it.
It's a great DVD, and unlike One Man's Dream you don't have to sit through the sycophantic links from Eisner.

If anyone is going to make a dramatic movie of his life, give me a call - I'll play him ;)

slappy magoo

I would guess that, since so much of what Walt created is trademarked by The Walt Disney Company, no other studio or producer could touch the story without complete involvement BY The Walt Disney Company. At that point, it's pretty much a Walt Disney Picture, and they'd have complete creative control. And then the decision becomes: How much do you want to show of his life? Do you want it to be a love letter to Walt? Or a warts-and-all expose? They'll probably try to sugarcoat the truth at least a little bit, ORdramatize certain events to make it more interesting, at which point the critics would savagely trash the movie for not being completely honest with the whole story. It happens with every movie based on a true story, so imagine what kind of criticism would face a movie ABOUT Disney BY Disney.

The doc on DVD does a great job, IMHO.

Yes i bought that DVD, but i had hoped that they would make one of just the building of the parks and the development of the original plans and original ideas.

tinkish

Merlin said:
I've often wondered the same thing myself. I would love to see a quality movie made about Walt's life. I've formulated a theory, which may or may not be correct, as to why such a movie has never been made...

Basically the movie could be made by either Disney or another studio. If Disney were to make it, I imagine it would be quite sugar-coated and portray Walt in an almost God-like manner. Showing any of his human weaknesses would be risky and I imagine Disney wouldn't want to take that risk. Most of the success of the Disney brand is based on the image of Walt. Unfortunately, a movie that didn't show any of that side to him would probably be pretty boring. That would doom the film to failure, which would also present the risk of harming his image...and thus the company's.

If another studio were to make the film, that studio would be more likely to show Walt's human side. After all, another studio would have no incentive to want to portray him in necessarily a positive light. This could, I imagine, potentially lead to a lawsuit. Consequently, there probably aren't a lot of studios lining up to make this movie.

Just some thoughts, but I could be completely wrong.

I agree and think you're right! But, I'd love to see a movie about Walt...even if it was sugar-coated.

barnum42

tinkish said:
I agree and think you're right! But, I'd love to see a movie about Walt...even if it was sugar-coated.
Get the same team that made "De-Lovely" to do it. That flick was not sugar coated. A similar format could be fun for a Walt film - making it musical my weaving in songs from the films.

NeedABreak

There really is a very good film to be made about his life. Disney won't really tell you everything in the "One Man's Dream" there are some very sad chapters of his life that just don't belong in the parks.

If anybody has read "Inside Disney" they know what I am talking about. If you haven't read it I would recomend it, it is made by the Unofficial guide people and its really fair in looking at Walt, WDC, and the WDW.

I would like to see a movie about his life. With all the diffrent jobs he had and risks he took a movie about Walt's life could cover everything from his birth to the ride on the train when he created the mouse there by avoiding most of the copyright issues.

slappy magoo

barnum42 said:
Get the same team that made "De-Lovely" to do it. That flick was not sugar coated. A similar format could be fun for a Walt film - making it musical my weaving in songs from the films.

Again, the problem is, for whatever reason, Disney (the company) doesn't want there to be a story about Disney (the man) less sugarcoated than their own doc. And for anyone to make a movie about Walt Disney, they'd need to use images of Mickey Mouse and the other characters, recreated footage of the parks or the studios being built, etc., and Disney wouldn't approve those likenesses in a movie.

For an example as to how screwy this could seem, try to dig up a copy of the movie "Wired." It's based on the biography of John Belushi, as written by Bob Woodward, and the movie stars Michael Chiklis as Beloosh. When it came time to make the movie, hardly anybody who knew Belushi allowed their names or likenesses to be used, as they felt Woodward painted Belushi as an a$$hole. Likewise, no classic Saturday Night Live sketches or movie scenes could be actually recreated. If memory serves, the only real names used in the movie are John Belushi, his wife Judy's, Dan AYkroyd's and Bob Woodward himself (a character in a movie about a life he researched and was not actually involved in). Everyone else's name was changed. The closest they came to recreating an old SNL sketch was when Belushi sang an old blues tune "I'm a King Bee, Baby" while dressed as a bee. Since there was no dialogue in the sketch, they could take that liberty. They could show Chiklis, as Belushi, doing Belushi's characters, but no full lines of written dialogue could be used. Maybe stuff like "Cheesburger cheeseburger!" Or "But Noooooo!" Certainly not anything of substance.

Imagine someone doing this to Walt's life story. Having to replace Mickey Mouse with an imaginary character. Changing the names of the Mouseketeers, or other people from Walt's life. Not showing Walt drawing or supervising the animation of any of his classic cartoons (they could be discussed, since so many of them are based on stories now in public domain, but you wouldn't be able to show Walt Disney's Pinocchio, or the dwarves, etc.). Only being able to show Walt making the plans for Disneyland, not in the park itself on opening day. Not being able to use any of the Disney logos. Blah Blah Blah...

The corporation will not want to risk tarnishing Walt's image by making anything even remotely resembling an honest biography. And anything else than an honest biography will have fans and critics screaming "Whitewash!" the same way they do when liberties are taken with stories being adapted into Disney animated films. It'd be grrat if it happened, but it probably never will.

LUV4Goofy said:
If we were lucky enough to have a movie made about Walt's life and accomplishments, who would you think would be great at playing Walt??

I think George Clooney :kiss: would make a good Mr. Disney.

In "One Man's Dream" I think there are some Un-canny shots where Walt looks incredibly like Ed (ward) Norton. Ed's also an awesome actor.. I'd like him to play Walt.

disneydreams

TheSuperTom said:

I also have this dvd, got it off ebay for about $15. Great! It goes in depth all about him. dreams

MuRkErY

I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks, all though i'd forgot all the problems with copyrighting from Disney.

I'm going to one of the New York Film accadmey's located at Universal Studios in LA in Januray to do a Filmaking course hopefully.

If i ever become a good director, i'll have this project in the back of my head, maybe i could convince Disney in 10 years time to make a proper Biographical Film on Walt along the lines of Scorcese's Raging Bull and let me Direct it :king: :D

Badger Brent

I think it would be a great idea also. They made the movie about the life and times of Howard Hugh's. The Aviator got good reviews. As long as it's done right, I would love to see it done. I'm guessing Tim Burton would not be directing it though!! :lol: I'm guessing one of the disney entertainment companies could easliy do it. But how far do you take the movie?? Until his death would seem obvious. But so much was done after his death, it would be a shame not to show his final thoughts played out on screen. Maybe end it with opening of WDW and his brothers dedication speech. I wonder how much of the downtimes would be brought up in the movie?

MuRkErY

Maybe end it with opening of WDW and his brothers dedication speech. I wonder how much of the downtimes would be brought up in the movie?

Yeah, all though i think it would suit the film more if the first scene in the film was the opening of WDW and his brothers dedication speach.

Then cut back in time to show how Walt acheived all this and have the ending shot of the movie come back to the opening of WDW and then pull the Camera out to have a large panoramic shot of all of WDW and then slowly fade in to a shot of Walts plaque to end the movie with some writing dedicating the movie to Walt and all his acheivements and then one of his many famous quotes (I've though a lot about how i would film this movie, lol :p).

I don't know who would be a good Walt Disney, but the idea to make a movie is awesome. We recently saw the Main Street Parade which began with Walt drawing along with the Dreams theme and whoever he was, he was great at being Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom