Mousekeeping

Oh, and...

"Currently, our Premier and Preferred hotels are offering a light refresh service only on stay over rooms. This includes making beds, refreshing the bathroom, emptying the trash and replacing towels and amenities as needed. There is a full housekeeping service performed upon checkout in preparation for the next Guests staying.

Our Prime Value and Value hotels are offering contactless housekeeping – additional towels, linens delivered to guest room upon request. They are also performing a full housekeeping service upon checkout."

So no housekeeping for the Poors at your precious Universal resorts. As a matter of fact, the Poors don't even get their trash emptied. But sure, they have this all figured out.
We stayed at Endless Summer in January. They offered what I would consider full housekeeping - replaced towels, made the beds, wiped surfaces every day. Disney did basically zilch when we stayed at Pop Century or Coronado Springs.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The conclusion we can draw is... this entire industry isn't going to bring back the service standards we had before as long as customers tolerate it.

And then when they do try to differentiate themselves, you can expect people trying to push it as part of an upgraded experience.

Businesses know customers are ok with what they have... they aren't going to trip over themselves to do more while they don't have to.

Say no to this ridiculous model... and to no menus too!

fgmnt

I don't like to direct traffic to other sites, but the people at The Dis in particular have relayed some horror stories recently.

Look maybe Universal has some kind of secret sauce they've figured out, and if so, good for them. But even if that's true, an accurate assessment of the situation would be that "Disney is suffering from the labor shortage that almost every company is suffering from, and Universal is an exception for some reason." The argument that some posters are making seems to be that Universal doing a good job for them indicates that there *is no* labor shortage and that Disney is just making things up to be cheap.

EDIT: Actually Disney is totally making things up, but not in this way. They're absolutely lying when they say the reason for no housekeeping is for "the health and safety of Cast and Guests."

I'll give them a little bit of incidental credit where in a roundabout way, not burning out their already understaffed division is looking out for the health of the cast in those divisions. Sure, at the end of the day it's just us of the mewling and gullible public giving them more money for less for the benefit of executives and shareholders, but at least they are not reckless enough to grind down the nubs of the operation any flatter.

threvester

Just checked out of Coronado Springs this morning. Mousekeeping came every second day (not always reliably, a couple I was there with didn’t get cleaned first or second day). They replaced used towels, coffee pods, and bathroom amenities. As far as I noticed, that was it.
I left Coronado Sunday and my experience was the same as yours. Every 2 days

BuddyThomas

Between their “energy efficient” air conditioning that turns itself off if there is no movement in the room and sweats you to death while you sleep, the inefficiency of the bus and other transportation options, the really embarrassing selection of tv channels, and the current ridiculous prices, there was not any reason to stay on property for some time. Now add the that the fact that now they won’t even make your freaking bed?!? And aren’t they charging all resort fee these days??

Yeah, no. I’m out.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Between their “energy efficient” air conditioning that turns itself off if there is no movement in the room and sweats you to death while you sleep, the inefficiency of the bus and other transportation options, the really embarrassing selection of tv channels, and the current ridiculous prices, there was not any reason to stay on property for some time. Now add the that the fact that now they won’t even make your freaking bed?!? And aren’t they charging all resort fee these days??

Yeah, no. I’m out.
There are a ton of hacks on YouTube to set your thermostat to "VIP" mode which overrides the motion sensor. I have used them a WDW and many other places.

Chomama

I can’t say it enough. Stay the swan, dolphin or jw Marriott. Ten times better. It makes me mad to say it bc ten years ago I would have cried to miss out on poly or gf. I’m just so over it. We travel a lot and pay premium prices to do it comfortably. When I do that I expect certain things. Clean towels is a very easy one on the list. It’s insulting to charge more than the four seasons and offer holiday inn food and service. Stop feeding the beast!!!

deeevo

I can’t say it enough. Stay the swan, dolphin or jw Marriott. Ten times better. It makes me mad to say it bc ten years ago I would have cried to miss out on poly or gf. I’m just so over it. We travel a lot and pay premium prices to do it comfortably. When I do that I expect certain things. Clean towels is a very easy one on the list. It’s insulting to charge more than the four seasons and offer holiday inn food and service. Stop feeding the beast!!!
If people want Disney to change then they need to stop drinking the Disney Kool-Aid and quit going. People need to stop apologizing for Disney. I always look at it like any pro sports team. If the owners of a pro sports team are not putting a good product on the field and won't spend money on free agents and continue to lose the fanbase won't show up and then when they start to see revenues go down maybe they will think about why and start spending money again. Stop going people!! My family of 4 have had AP's since 2014 and we are not renewing and they are set to expire next week. We are taking our last trip this weekend to Pop and then we are done and it feels so good.

crawale

If people want Disney to change then they need to stop drinking the Disney Kool-Aid and quit going. People need to stop apologizing for Disney. I always look at it like any pro sports team. If the owners of a pro sports team are not putting a good product on the field and won't spend money on free agents and continue to lose the fanbase won't show up and then when they start to see revenues go down maybe they will think about why and start spending money again. Stop going people!! My family of 4 have had AP's since 2014 and we are not renewing and they are set to expire next week. We are taking our last trip this weekend to Pop and then we are done and it feels so good.
If I book a stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel for 2 weeks I expect the sheets to be changed during that time - especially if a child in the party has a nose bleed or an accident as children do. Forget making the bed. If Disney can change sheets between parties then why can they not change sheets when people are out of the room? I will never go again after this happened to me at the Beach Club. I have a minimum standard and Disney did not meet it. Obviously some of the apologists have such low standards they will accept poor service as long as it is Disney. That's fine.

dreday3

We stayed 9 nights at Gran Destino in October.

We had garbage every other day, but sometimes we just took it before they came because we filled it. Towels every other day.
A full bed change on the 5th day.

They would also call on off days to see if we needed anything.

Fine for us.
Honestly I thought the no bed making, etc., would bother me more than it did. Turns out we didn't mind it at all.

Lilofan

We stayed 9 nights at Gran Destino in October.

We had garbage every other day, but sometimes we just took it before they came because we filled it. Towels every other day.
A full bed change on the 5th day.

They would also call on off days to see if we needed anything.

Fine for us.
Honestly I thought the no bed making, etc., would bother me more than it did. Turns out we didn't mind it at all.
So much for back breaking work for staff back in the day when bathrooms were cleaned daily, beds made, vacuumed carpets , dusted all on a daily basis when we stayed.

dreday3

So much for back breaking work for staff back in the day when bathrooms were cleaned daily, beds made, vacuumed carpets , dusted all on a daily basis when we stayed.

They did straighten up, wiped down counters, etc., every other day.

I'm just saying, I was bothered by the lack of housekeeping until we actually experienced it. Just wasn't that big of a deal for us, we were satisfied with the light cleanings.

I'd love it back just because I like seeing the bed made, but we survived. :D

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
If I book a stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel for 2 weeks I expect the sheets to be changed during that time - especially if a child in the party has a nose bleed or an accident as children do. Forget making the bed. If Disney can change sheets between parties then why can they not change sheets when people are out of the room? I will never go again after this happened to me at the Beach Club. I have a minimum standard and Disney did not meet it. Obviously some of the apologists have such low standards they will accept poor service as long as it is Disney. That's fine.
If you call after a child has an accident, the sheets will be changed (or, at minimum, they’ll give you new sheets).

Lil Copter Cap

This all reminds me of the recent Bob Iger interview with Kara Swisher on her podcast SWAY. Bob literally makes a terrible joke that I'm sure he means quite seriously:

Kara Swisher
What— anonymous again. What has Disney done to weather the Great Resignation that other companies could learn from? I also call it the Great Reassessment.

Bob Iger
Yeah. Well, tell me what is going on there. Why don’t people want to work?

Kara Swisher
Because some jobs suck, and they’re sick of it.

Bob Iger
Right. Yeah. But there are also jobs that need to be filled as a company.

Kara Swisher
Well, yes.

Bob Iger
And you’d better quickly address what your immigration policy is, or you’re going to run out of people to—

Kara Swisher
So what do you do if you’re managing?

Bob Iger
Well, first of all, if you’re Disney or if you’re any company, you have to be an attractive place to work. What does that mean? Competitive wages.

And then it eventually ends with Kara making a very real joke about paying CEOs less so that they can pay their people more.

Labor shortage is a facade for not paying people a living wage. We lost people during this pandemic, but we have plenty of humans to staff roles. But companies are paying their people in Cost of Labor instead of Cost of Living. and if they'd kept up with it before the pandemic, people would be more willing to return to their old positions.

All to say, companies are realizing (like some have said in this thread) that they can 'get the job done' with fewer people and less labor hours. Guests/consumers are willing to accept it—sometimes unknowingly—and therefore, the standard of service decreases.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom