Mousekeeping

Chomama

I have stayed at several deluxe wdw properties since March of 2020. Housekeeping has been abysmal and embarrassing. I am shocked it isn’t being addressed directly esp at deluxe resorts. Have also stayed at ritz, je Marriott, 4 seasons and autograph hotels across the country during the pandemic. No other brand has had this issue. It’s ridiculous and we will be staying at the swan u til it improves. It’s offensive for the prices not to come back to an empty trash and a made up bed. Sorry this sounds like a rant but there is no excuse. If you can’t provide the service you have in the past be direct about it, offer a discount and APOLOGIZE. Explain it isn’t your to your standards and is being addressed. Head in the sand is so much worse and, as customers that use “deluxe” resorts brands around the world this is the ONLY place that hasn’t recovered on this issue. They should be embarrassed but clearly they don’t care. It’s BAD

Nubs70

You’re right, then. I searched elsewhere on the official site and found:

• Removal of trash and used towels
  • Replenishment of towels and amenities throughout room and bathroom
  • Wiping and cleaning of the vanity and counter surfaces
  • Vacuuming, if needed
At least they’ll vacuum, I guess. I don’t remember anything happening last time. I had to call for towels and coffee.
Turning on the vacuum incurs s surcharge.

bpiper

Signing bonuses are payable after 90 days I believe. This is IN ADDITION to a higher starting hourly wage from Disney.

From the Disney jobs website:

$3,000 Hiring Bonus (First payment after 90 days = $750 and Second payment after 150 days = $2,250)

Not exactly fast for someone who needs more money now.

Although I understand why they can't do it quicker. People would be riding the the hiring/bonus/quitting carousel.

Something also to consider, bonuses are taxed at a higher tax rate (22%), along with Social Security and Medicare taxes, so you get less up front money, but get it back when you do your taxes hopefully if your in a lower tax bracket.

So that $3000 bonus would probably be around 2000 when all said and done.

While still some good money, it's starting to loose some luster.

Edited to add:

They aren't paying bonuses to housekeepers anymore. So it looks like they have no problem finding them. Only culinary positions are getting bonuses.

So that means the skimping on housekeeping isn't from lack of staff which probably at first it was, but has now turned into a cost savings, revenue enhancer.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

From the Disney jobs website:

$3,000 Hiring Bonus (First payment after 90 days = $750 and Second payment after 150 days = $2,250)

Not exactly fast for someone who needs more money now.

Although I understand why they can't do it quicker. People would be riding the the hiring/bonus/quitting carousel.

Something also to consider, bonuses are taxed at a higher tax rate (22%), along with Social Security and Medicare taxes, so you get less up front money, but get it back when you do your taxes hopefully if your in a lower tax bracket.

So that $3000 bonus would probably be around 2000 when all said and done.

While still some good money, it's starting to loose some luster.
Universal is offering zero, which is obviously my point.

celluloid

Look maybe Universal has some kind of secret sauce they've figured out, and if so, good for them. But even if that's true, an accurate assessment of the situation would be that "Disney is suffering from the labor shortage that almost every company is suffering from, and Universal is an exception for some reason." The argument that some posters are making seems to be that Universal doing a good job for them indicates that there *is no* labor shortage and that Disney is just making things up to be cheap.

Not furloughing a large population of your staff, and leaving a bad taste in the talent pool is not exactly a secret.

They took better care of their people in comparison.

CaptainAmerica

Not furloughing a large population of your staff, and leaving a bad taste in the talent pool is not exactly a secret.

They took better care of their people in comparison.
Are we just making things up now?

CaptainAmerica

Oh, and...

"Currently, our Premier and Preferred hotels are offering a light refresh service only on stay over rooms. This includes making beds, refreshing the bathroom, emptying the trash and replacing towels and amenities as needed. There is a full housekeeping service performed upon checkout in preparation for the next Guests staying.

Our Prime Value and Value hotels are offering contactless housekeeping – additional towels, linens delivered to guest room upon request. They are also performing a full housekeeping service upon checkout."

So no housekeeping for the Poors at your precious Universal resorts. As a matter of fact, the Poors don't even get their trash emptied. But sure, they have this all figured out.

bpiper

Universal is offering zero, which is obviously my point.
You replied before my edit.

Since neither Disney nor Universal is offering bonuses for housekeepers, which suggests that hiring housekeepers has eased but yet Disney isn't offering full housekeeping, but we have reports that Universal is, or at least is a lot more than Disney is, what conclusion can we draw?

celluloid

Are we just making things up now?

I guess you could be because you intentionally leave out info. Because the numbers are not the same nor is the length of time. You keep skimming the chapters of a story you want and creating your own narrative.

Universal hired many back(a larger percentage than Disney) within a month after reopening. They also had a large number that they never furloughed and kept on the payroll. Both of their theme parks opened up new attractions within a year after opening. They definitely filled those spots. They even opened up a new hotel. Just a heads up, Legoland did too. I assure you Winter Haven is a hard place to staff even in good times.

I know it is hard for you to imagine, but a company can treat people better than Disney treats their people.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

...but we have reports that Universal is, or at least is a lot more than Disney is...
Read my post immediately prior to this one. Half of Universal hotels aren't even offering trash.

I guess you can make the case that "Deluxe guests getting daily housekeeping and Value guests not even getting trash removal" is better than "all guests get trash and towels every other day," but it's not the stark contrast that you're pretending it is.

bpiper

Read my post immediately prior to this one. Half of Universal hotels aren't even offering trash.

I guess you can make the case that "Deluxe guests getting daily housekeeping and Value guests not even getting trash removal" is better than "all guests get trash and towels every other day," but it's not the stark contrast that you're pretending it is.
Can I get a link to their policy?

Stupido

I think the DCP starting back up will absolutely help with these House Keeping issues. If they're looking to have cast members starting in May, I'd assume we'll all go back to having daily cleaned rooms very shortly.

bpiper

I think the DCP starting back up will absolutely help with these House Keeping issues. If they're looking to have cast members starting in May, I'd assume we'll all go back to having daily cleaned rooms very shortly.
DCP kids aren't assigned to house keeping.

bpiper

So what conclusion can we draw from these facts?

Both are NOT offering bonuses to housekeepers.
Both are offering $17/hr for housekeepers.
Both are offering something less than full housekeeping, although it appears Universal is slightly better if your in the expensive beds.
Disney's website makes it SEEM like its a Covid related decision.
Universal's site doesn't mention it at all.

Are we being conditioned to expect less while paying the same or more money?

Tom P.

So what conclusion can we draw from these facts?

Both are NOT offering bonuses to housekeepers.
Both are offering $17/hr for housekeepers.
Both are offering something less than full housekeeping, although it appears Universal is slightly better if your in the expensive beds.
Disney's website makes it SEEM like its a Covid related decision.
Universal's site doesn't mention it at all.

Are we being conditioned to expect less while paying the same or more money?
Does the Pope crap in the woods while trees fall silently?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney has something like ten times the number of hotel rooms that Universal has. They pay a higher starting wage and are offering huge signing bonuses. Oh and Universal resorts aren't doing daily housekeeping either.
The big boys like Marriott and Hilton are also generally not providing daily service. Every 3 or 4 days about unless you request something different. It is tough out there in the industry still...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom