Mousekeeping Opt Out

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The over-the-top hyperbole and drama, not to mention the general lack of sensitivity to other people, never ceases to amaze me on these boards. Normally, I just ignore it and move on, as engaging is generally counterproductive.

But this is ludicrous. If someone is offered the option of opting out of Mousekeeping and accepts, they are not being a decent human being? Everyone on this thread who says they have opted out doesn't care about poor people? Oh shut up.

We're not talking about refusing to feed starving children in Ethiopia here. We're talking about a tiny, tiny percentage of Disney resort guests taking advantage of a small perk offered by Disney to them for foregoing a particular service. Whether or not someone chooses to forego Mousekeeping or not has nothing to do with whether or not they are a decent human being.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if the Internet has really been a benefit to society...
The "small perk" is not offered because Disney is being nice to guests. It's offered to allow them to tell staff to stay home without pay when a certain number of guests take advantage of the offer.

Whether you care or not, I do. I choose to be nice to Mousekeepers. It is precisely because of my "sensitivity to other people" that I not only don't avail myself of this "perk", but also that I advise others of the underlying impact of their decision to do so that they may very well be unaware of. Speaking of "over-the-top hyperbole and drama", at no point have I suggested that people not avail themselves of the option, nor have I stated that my choosing to be a decent human being automatically assumes that others aren't, you read that into it all by yourself.

Last edited:

Minthorne

I guarantee if this is widely used, they’ll stop the gift cards.

Yes and then it will be like the bug spray and they will expect the guest to dust the rooms with cans of ...

e2e403a300d9dad1970e64fcbf9f926c18e66c4a62c1d98c032cf8df5510e2cb.jpg

Kamikaze

Actually, it’s not. If I choose not to eat out, it’s quite likely someone else will use the table. If I choose not to use Mousekeeping, someone who otherwise would have work gets told to stay home without pay.

I choose to be a decent human being.

That would only be true if all tables at all restaurants were filled at all times.
They aren't.
Case in point: 120 Applebee's & IHOPs are closing.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If choosing to not opt out of Mousekeeping is "choosing to be a decent human being," then by definition choosing to opt out of Mousekeeping would not be a decent thing to do.
Thankfully, the real world does not exist solely in black and white.

Dutch Inn '76

The "small perk" is not offered because Disney is being nice to guests. It's offered to allow them to tell staff to stay home without pay when a certain number of guests take advantage of the offer.

Whether you care or not, I do. I choose to be nice to Mousekeepers. It is precisely because of my "sensitivity to other people" that I not only don't avail myself of this "perk", but also that I advise others of the underlying impact of their decision to do so that they may very well be unaware of. Speaking of "over-the-top hyperbole and drama", at no point have I suggested that people not avail themselves of the option, nor have I stated that my choosing to be a decent human being automatically assumes that others aren't, you read that into it all by yourself.

I just wanna say that THIS is the most "eyerollingest" :rolleyes: post I've ever read on the whole entire internet; and I've been reading it since it started. Congratulations! :facepalm:

BigThunderMatt

Opting in puts Mousekeepers out of work. Taking food off poor people's tables doesn't appeal to me.

Actually, it doesn't. In fact it actually INCREASES their work load since now they have more checkout rooms to clean which takes longer than a stay over clean. And picture this: a checkout clean already takes time. Imagine having to do it when the room hasn't been touched by housekeeping in 10 days and a family of slobs was staying in the room? Yeah. It's gonna take even longer than normal.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Actually, it doesn't. In fact it actually INCREASES their work load since now they have more checkout rooms to clean which takes longer than a stay over clean. And picture this: a checkout clean already takes time. Imagine having to do it when the room hasn't been touched by housekeeping in 10 days and a family of slobs was staying in the room? Yeah. It's gonna take even longer than normal.

So why is Disney doing it? If not to reduce staff and save money?

MickeyMomV

What's the process of opting out? Do you tell them when you are checking in or do you have to call ahead?
Opting out of Mousekeeping gets you a gift card? Is it voluntarily offered or do you have to ask for it?

At check-in they let us know this was a new program they were participating in and that we had that option. I'm not sure if it has rolled out to all hotels yet.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I just wanna say that THIS is the most "eyerollingest" :rolleyes: post I've ever read on the whole entire internet; and I've been reading it since it started. Congratulations! :facepalm:
You're welcome!

Checkouts have to be done regardless. Reducing the number of rooms being cleaned reduces the number of cleaners by one for every "X" rooms, "X" being the expected total rooms one cleaner does per day. Wiping down a room and running a vacuum over 10 days' dirt or one day's dirt doesn't take measurably longer.

Hotels all over North America are doing the exact same thing. Ask any housekeeper wherever you stay that they offer this "perk".

allgiggles

We did it at Riverside over Thanksgiving. It is NOT all or nothing. You can do it for as may days as you want or don't want. They gave us a $10/night credit starting on our second night. We opted out for the entire 7 night stay and received a $60 credit. We then just applied it towards our room charges. They said you can call mousekeeping at any time and "schedule" a cleaning. We thought about doing day 4 but we just grabbed fresh towels and were good to go.

I don't think they offer that option anymore (though they definitely did several months ago). I'm almost positive it is now an all or nothing deal period. There was too much confusion when people were picking and choosing when they wanted mousekeeping (getting their room cleaned on a day they opted out; not getting their room cleaned on a day they scheduled it; etc.). I haven't seen anyone report in the last 2 or 3 months that they were offered anything but the all or nothing deal and I remember reading from a Disney source (one of their official blogs, I believe) that the deal is $10/night minus 1 night (since the room needs to be cleaned when the guest checks out). They also listed all the resorts it is currently being offered at. I think it was all of the value resorts and some or all of the moderates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom