Mousekeeping Opt Out

MickeyMomV

I don't think they offer that option anymore (though they definitely did several months ago). I'm almost positive it is now an all or nothing deal period. There was too much confusion when people were picking and choosing when they wanted mousekeeping (getting their room cleaned on a day they opted out; not getting their room cleaned on a day they scheduled it; etc.). I haven't seen anyone report in the last 2 or 3 months that they were offered anything but the all or nothing deal and I remember reading from a Disney source (one of their official blogs, I believe) that the deal is $10/night minus 1 night (since the room needs to be cleaned when the guest checks out). They also listed all the resorts it is currently being offered at. I think it was all of the value resorts and some or all of the moderates.
We'll be down there again in 5 weeks and will have to see what they say. I don't think we will need it every day but we are allowing my DS to bring a friend and I'm thinking with two 14 year old boys we will need some sort of mousekeeping over the course of a week!!

Minthorne

Swalphin does this - you get a card each night except checkout that is good for $5 anywhere at the 2 resorts or can you turn it in for 500 SPG points. I always take advantage of it. At Disney resorts I'm usually staying DVC so this wont be an option for me.

KellBelle

When we stayed at All Star Sports in December, we did not opt out, as it was not offered to us. Some days our room was not cleaned until very late in the afternoon. In no way if I had opted out, would I have felt that I was taking a job away from someone. That property alone has over 1900 rooms, so there is no shortage of available work. I will say that in the end, the Mousekeeping did a very good job and it was so nice to return at night to a freshly cleaned room.

Mainahman

Original Poster
This time next week ill be Packing the car, gassing up and getting ready to head to POP! i guess we will see what happens. Personally were only in the room to shower and sleep. Were more than capable of hanging up towels to dry out, and folding our own bed up. If it comes with a gift card, great it can go twords paying foir my birthday dinner at Napoli.

Minnesota disney fan

This time next week ill be Packing the car, gassing up and getting ready to head to POP! i guess we will see what happens. Personally were only in the room to shower and sleep. Were more than capable of hanging up towels to dry out, and folding our own bed up. If it comes with a gift card, great it can go twords paying foir my birthday dinner at Napoli.

We will be there next week, too. Have a great time:)

BigThunderMatt

Checkouts have to be done regardless. Reducing the number of rooms being cleaned reduces the number of cleaners by one for every "X" rooms, "X" being the expected total rooms one cleaner does per day.

First of all, I happen to know enough housekeeping managers and housekeepers at Disney to know that this hasn't reduced staffing one iota. Housekeepers that would have gotten a balance between stayover cleans and checkouts now just get more checkouts to replace the stayovers. In the past it was more likely that 'X' amount of checkouts would have just been rolled to the next day unless the resort was at full occupancy. This actually results in more rooms cleaned per day that are usable by guests by the same amount of people as before.

Second of all, Disney has been offering a $1500 signing bonus to hire MORE housekeepers. So they're monumentally stupid to be hiring more and staffing less if that's their intention with this program.

Before you go off on your holier than thou rant maybe consider there's people here that work in the resort industry and possibly even for Disney that likely know a lot more than you do about the big picture.

Starlight67

there's people here that work in the resort industry and possibly even for Disney that likely know a lot more than you do about the big picture.

I don't work in the resort industry so I definitely do not have the inside scoop on how staffing REALLY works. But, it just seems to me that when fewer people need a service, then fewer employees are needed to provide it. Simple example but if guests in 100 rooms all staying for 14 days opt out of housekeeping, that equals 100 rooms that do not need daily servicing for two weeks.

Regardless of what's going on with check outs in OTHER rooms there is still LESS work to do overall than there was. Putting more housekeepers on checkouts would just seem to get the checkout rooms cleaned quicker, not necessarily maintain or increase the number of housekeepers needed. Not being in the industry though, certainly not ruling out the possibility of missing the big picture:eek:...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
First of all, I happen to know enough housekeeping managers and housekeepers at Disney to know that this hasn't reduced staffing one iota. Housekeepers that would have gotten a balance between stayover cleans and checkouts now just get more checkouts to replace the stayovers. In the past it was more likely that 'X' amount of checkouts would have just been rolled to the next day unless the resort was at full occupancy. This actually results in more rooms cleaned per day that are usable by guests by the same amount of people as before.

Second of all, Disney has been offering a $1500 signing bonus to hire MORE housekeepers. So they're monumentally stupid to be hiring more and staffing less if that's their intention with this program.

Before you go off on your holier than thou rant maybe consider there's people here that work in the resort industry and possibly even for Disney that likely know a lot more than you do about the big picture.
Fair enough. According to the Union that represents Housekeeping staff at WDW, the initial pilot program "Service Your Way" at ASMu reduced schedules for Housekeepers and resulted in messier rooms and heavier workloads at checkout. When I contacted the Union, they made it very clear that the Disney Housekeeper do not like the program.

https://m.facebook.com/uniteherecen...41828.259452187543085/864964580325173/?type=3

amjt660

Premium Member
After reading 3 pages of back and forth the issue is still not clear to me.

The clearest argument so far is the impact on workload.
If less people want there room "freshened up" daily there is less work to do.
If this results in longer time to do a Check out it may be a wash
But it depends on the number of people opting out and the actual condition of Check out rooms.

I do not have the data to determine whether this is workload up/down/neutral.

In terms of the humane aspect of this I struggle with the argument.
Our economy is based on free enterprise and supply/demand.
If a product or service is no longer in demand than the economy must adjust to suit.

My best example would be airlines and the not so recent practice of charging for checked bags.
Airlines tapped in and produced a revenue stream but what was the result?
I assume we have less Checked bag handlers at airports - who weeps for them?
Flight Attendants struggle with Passengers bringing oversized carry on luggage that never fits or they run out of storage capacity
And the result is more tagging and checking at the gate.
So maybe we don't have these bag handlers - they just are Gate reps and Flight Attendants??

Ponder that for awhile - maybe as your hanging up your own towel, making your own bed and/or carrying your excess garbage to the cafeteria garbage bin.

Max

macsmom

I stayed at POP in August and decided to get the gift card - $45. That's $15 a day, but everyone on here is saying $10. Did I get a bonus or have they changed the amount?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I'm wondering if we will see a time where housekeeping services are no longer included with your hotel room. But rather an optional upcharge service, tacked on to the charge the room if you opt-IN. Not even talking about just Disney hotels-but across the hotel industry.
Perhaps, but then they may have a harder time getting rooms cleaned at checkout. I mean after a week staying there without any upkeep, its going to need a lot of attention. Plus I can gaurentee the first few resorts that embrace that mentality will be roasted with negative reviews.

Airlines can get away with it, because they are a necessary evil, they're means to an end. I'm paying enough money to stay at a place, I'm not willing to see my already inflated bill go higher because I need my sheets changed, or new towels. I don't think many people will accept this as you want to entice people to come.

allgiggles

I stayed at POP in August and decided to get the gift card - $45. That's $15 a day, but everyone on here is saying $10. Did I get a bonus or have they changed the amount?

The daily amount has dropped. The initial trial had it at $20/night. The second trial phase dropped to $15/night. Now it's down to $10/night. I see a pattern....

The_Jobu

The daily amount has dropped. The initial trial had it at $20/night. The second trial phase dropped to $15/night. Now it's down to $10/night. I see a pattern....

We can only assume this trend downward will continue and you will have to pay Disney $10 a day or else opt out of cleaning.

Mainahman

Original Poster
We're checking in in the morning. About to drive down here in a couple hours. Ill report back what we decide and offered once we get back.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The latest DCL ship - the Disney Willie - is in the classic Mickey Mouse colors of White, Black and shades of Grey (about 50).
I expect Disney to open The Panchromatic Resort sometime soon. Everything will be black & white.

OBTW, your 50 Shades reference made Minnie blush. Shame on you! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom