Most Depressing Attraction To Lose...

DDuckFan130

I was familiar with some of the "lost" attractions like AE, JII, and Horizons. I'm trying to think whether I really miss them. And well...I don't :lookaroun

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't really miss any of these attractions :lol: I thought AE was cool the first few times, but it got tired after a while. But hey, SGE will surely become tired after a while :p

I love what's there now (in general) so no complaints :D

DisneyBunny

jeffb said:
My 2 cents, in no particular order:

5. Alot of the orignal EPCOT music

ITA! To me, even as much as I loooove the Innoventions loop, to this day nothing says "Disney World" to me like the Epcot Entrance Loop. I was so happy they included it on the HCOE 2 Disc set. I also really miss the Energy songs, as well as Listen to the Land, Imagination.... Where have all the good songs gone?

And as much as I wish I had another chance to ride and appreciate Toad, 20K, AE, WoM, the loss of Horizons is still felt so deeply in my family. We actively mourned when we heard of its demolition. To us, that was Epcot, that was Disney, and even though M:S is nice, it'll never hold a candle to its predessesor, IMHO.

wannab@dis

DDuckFan130 said:
I was familiar with some of the "lost" attractions like AE, JII, and Horizons. I'm trying to think whether I really miss them. And well...I don't :lookaroun

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm in the minority when I say I don't really miss any of these attractions :lol: I thought AE was cool the first few times, but it got tired after a while. But hey, SGE will surely become tired after a while :p

I like the way you think! I've never understood the need for ride obituaries. :rolleyes:

WDW is all about the magic of the experiences and if you do nothing but pine away for some old attraction, you'll miss all the good around you. I like to look forward to new things, new experiences and creating new memories with my family.

noelanddusty

i really miss the electrical parade. i have some very vivid and fond memories of that parade with my family. when i hear the music on my classic disney cds it still creates that thrill for me.

i also miss mr toad and aspects of 20,000 leagues as well as the old jii.
i wish we could add without having to subtract.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
wannab@dis said:
I like the way you think! I've never understood the need for ride obituaries. :rolleyes:

WDW is all about the magic of the experiences and if you do nothing but pine away for some old attraction, you'll miss all the good around you. I like to look forward to new things, new experiences and creating new memories with my family.
well, put.... totally agree.

ok, my 20k (wdw) opinion. i really thought that the ride system, storyline and innovation of this attraction was incredible. on the other hand, i was actually never that impressed with the actual ride itself. once you got inside the show building, errr, the cave, the scenes were neat, but i really didnt think that it was "how did they do that" worthy.

maybe the Nemo effects will be better for me at DL

DisneyBunny

wannab@dis said:

It's not a matter of pining away for an attraction that isn't there anymore just for the sake of sentimentality. I just miss the timelessness of certain rides. Perhaps what I miss the most is the thought that I'll get to take my kids to the World one day, and we'll get to ride the same rides that I did when I was small, and thus rediscover them all over again through their eyes.

Unfortunatley that will not be the case with Horizons, but I don't let it interfere with my vacation, or creating new memories. I just get wistful every now and then about how my kids probably won't get to know many omnimover rides. I certainly don't miss the good that's all around me. Otherwise why would I go? I miss some rides, but you won't find me weeping, wailing, and gnashing my teeth outside certain rides like I was attending a funeral. It's all about perspective.

wannab@dis

DisneyBunny said:
It's not a matter of pining away for an attraction that isn't there anymore just for the sake of sentimentality. I just miss the timelessness of certain rides. Perhaps what I miss the most is the thought that I'll get to take my kids to the World one day, and we'll get to ride the same rides that I did when I was small, and thus rediscover them all over again through their eyes.

Unfortunatley that will not be the case with Horizons, but I don't let it interfere with my vacation, or creating new memories. I just get wistful every now and then about how my kids probably won't get to know many omnimover rides. I certainly don't miss the good that's all around me. Otherwise why would I go? I miss some rides, but you won't find me weeping, wailing, and gnashing my teeth outside certain rides like I was attending a funeral. It's all about perspective.
Different perspectives I guess. I'm having a blast taking my little girl on rides for her first time (and sometimes, my first time). I look forward to coming back each trip and finding something new to see her experience and/or enjoy together. I don't need or want to worry about what "might have been" since I have plenty in front of me.

Like I said, different perspectives. :wave:

Shaman

DDuckFan130 said:

Well, I'm a better Disney fan than you, because I actually miss those attractions and hate the replacements....so there....hmph....

:kiss:

tink81

MGM:
Original Backstage Tour (can't believe they tore down the Golden Girl's House!)
Original Animation Studio Tour
Sorcery in the Sky (even though I like Fantasmic a hundred times better)
Superstar TV
Monster Soundstage (anything with Chevy Chase is funny)

MK:
Original Tiki Romm (thank goodness they haven't butchered the show at DL...yet)
Skyway
Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree

Epcot:
Basically all of Future World

River Country

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:

You are right in saying that "if you do nothing but pine away for some old attraction". BUT, that's not all I do. Like you, I look forward to the new things and experiences that Disney offers and it is probably those newer things that bring me back to WDW more often.

At the same time, it is possible to have new experiences and new memories on older attractions. As a parent, I want my children to experience some the same joys that I experienced as I child. To see them experience those joys on attractions that once thrilled me...well...it's hard to let that go. In fact, it is probably the experiences and memories that one made on those older attractions that lead us to look back fondly at them.

BTW, you will note that most of the attractions that we're talking about here are not E-tickets. They are more minor attractions that focus less on thrill and more on experience. You could say that WDI did their job quite well in that they created experiences that people long for years after the atttraction departed.

So, give us a break and let us long for the good ol' days even while we anticipate fresh experiences. There's no harm in that, is there?

DDuckFan130

PintoColvig said:
You are right in saying that "if you do nothing but pine away for some old attraction". BUT, that's not all I do. Like you, I look forward to the new things and experiences that Disney offers and it is probably those newer things that bring me back to WDW more often.

At the same time, it is possible to have new experiences and new memories on older attractions. As a parent, I want my children to experience some the same joys that I experienced as I child. To see them experience those joys on attractions that once thrilled me...well...it's hard to let that go. In fact, it is probably the experiences and memories that one made on those older attractions that lead us to look back fondly at them.

BTW, you will note that most of the attractions that we're talking about here are not E-tickets. They are more minor attractions that focus less on thrill and more on experience. You could say that WDI did their job quite well in that they created experiences that people long for years after the atttraction departed.

So, give us a break and let us long for the good ol' days even while we anticipate fresh experiences. There's no harm in that, is there?

Not at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion :)

Shaman

PintoColvig said:

No...it's just that, well, after reading the first ten threads about this subject (over the years)...it gets to be a little less longing and a bit more whinning. But of course, that's just my opinion....

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
I'm gonna have to say 20K.....For me it was the length of time that the attraction just sat there, in plain sight, rotting away. I guess the replacement factor has me a little bummed too although I know many here with children enjoy the area now. Maybe there's hope for the development of the rest of the area 20K occupied.....to quote Nemo from the movie: "There is hope for the future......When the world is ready for a new and better life, all this will someday come to pass, in God's good time." Great line - great movie!:wave:

wannab@dis

PintoColvig said:
Why do you want to relive your old memories through your kids? Shouldn't you want them to create their OWN memories and you enjoy seeing them discover their own experiences? Why not let them experience everything that Disney has to offer today. I had never ridden Alladin, but I rode it many times on my last trip because that was my little girls favorite ride. I would take that any day over dropping by a museum to see Horizons. Just different viewpoints. *shrug*

PintoColvig said:

Nobody is stopping you, but I think some view it as more negative than positive. It also seems that the ones that "long for the good ol' days" are the ones that are NEVER happy with anything done today. Coincidence? :veryconfu

Pr1nce55

I don't think it is as much of a matter as reliving the past through the kids as much as finding a connection to the past. I think everyone would agree that they want their kids to have new experiences they could call their own. I don't think any parent would deny their child that at all. What's nice about going on rides that we went on as children and having our children experience those same rides is a tangible connection to our past experiences when we were younger. It's as if you are coming full circle and you are passing off the baton and saying to your kids here is where I came from now go take it learn and create your own experience.

MickeyTigg

The only ride that's gone that I really miss is Journey into Imagination and that's only because the two succeeding incarnations were not as good as the original....do I mourn it's departure? No....it's time to move on people.

As much as I miss Horizons....Mission: Space is better. As much as I miss World of Motion....Test Track is better. Same goes for the Legend of the Lion King....Mickey's Philharmagic is better.

Walt said that Disneyland would be forever changing....that's going to be true for WDW too...and sometimes they're going to make mistakes.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
TiggerRPh said:
Walt said that Disneyland would be forever changing....that's going to be true for WDW too....

There's the key right there! It's been documented far too many times to forget that fact. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom