News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

tcool123

I don’t know much about the Sinbad source material , but isnt the entire tale set in the Arabian Peninsula and the Arabian Sea? I don’t see how it fits into Morocco given the country isn’t located near either.

That said I would love for the ride to come over stateside but not sure if the Moroccan pavilion is the best fit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t know much about the Sinbad source material , but isnt the entire tale set in the Arabian Peninsula and the Arabian Sea? I don’t see how it fits into Morocco given the country isn’t located near either.

That said I would love for the ride to come over stateside but not sure if the Moroccan pavilion is the best fit.
Same reason why Aladdin's Jasmine is in Morocco... visiting.

LittleBuford

The character is from Baghdad and sets sail from Basra (on the Persian Gulf), so yes, the story takes place thousands of miles from Morocco.

Bocabear

There is no reason the pavilion has to remain Morocco specific... Add a few more architectural flourishes and it could be just about anywhere in that region...I know the tower is based on a real mosque, but the rest of the pavilion is a hybrid of a lot of ideas... No reason that this could not be an "Arabian Coast" pavilion like at Disney Seas...I mean, Arrendelle is just across the lake...which was also once based on a real location, but now more whimsical to better match an IP... There is effectively no longer a cultural museum representing The Kingdom Of Morocco.... They could easily make it fit...

tcool123

There is no reason the pavilion has to remain Morocco specific... Add a few more architectural flourishes and it could be just about anywhere in that region...I know the tower is based on a real mosque, but the rest of the pavilion is a hybrid of a lot of ideas... No reason that this could not be an "Arabian Coast" pavilion like at Disney Seas...I mean, Arrendelle is just across the lake...which was also once based on a real location, but now more whimsical to better match an IP... There is effectively no longer a cultural museum representing The Kingdom Of Morocco.... They could easily make it fit...
But at that point why stop there? Encanto in Mexico, Raya in China, Hercules in Italy, etc.

Frozen was inspired by Norway, and yes other Scandinavian cultures, but it was at least also inspired by Norway so even if its set in a fictional kingdom it at least fits in better than throwing something that wasn't inspired by that region. Or at least that's just me 🤷

LittleBuford

Sorry, but this says more about your lack of knowledge about “the region” (by which I assume you mean the Middle East) than about actual overlaps between countries that are thousands of miles apart. The architecture of Morocco is no more akin to that of Iraq than the architecture of Italy is to that of the UK. It is simply wrong to say that the pavilion’s references are generalised and nonspecific; on the contrary, they are firmly rooted in Morocco, even incorporating actual Moroccan craftsmanship.

ppete1975

How about a dark ride about a new character or story set in Morocco? Sell tons of merch and if its a huge hit spin it into its own disney+ show.

Figment is a perfect example of this (his original ride along with his cuteness makes people still love him regardless of the current ride)
Also figment needs a well done disney + show.. and a new ride.

You want to make money by putting an IP character into a land and selling merch. Why not create new characters that sell merch and make a demand for a new show or movie. So instead of recycling and adding money into a character thats already making money.. lets say beauty and the beast (not morocco based of course.. just an example), where there is already billions of merch, but name recognition that will make people clamor for the ride.... Make a new character and sell merch that has 0 out there currently... make the ride so awesome that people clamor to ride it (a great ride is a great ride after all),
you actually make MORE money...

LittleBuford

Perhaps images can make the point better than I can.

A minaret in Marrakesh:
1200px-Marokko0112_%28retouched%29.jpg

Minarets in Baghdad:
ornate-minaret-baghdad-iraq-14378474.jpg.webp

Arches in Fez (Morocco):
blue-gate-bab-bou-jeloud-fez-morocco_646314-289.jpg

Arches in Baghdad:
abbasid_house_01.jpg

And so on.

Please let's not insult the diversity of the Islamic architectural tradition by pretending it's all the same. That would be as reductive as claiming that all European buildings are the same.

ppete1975

A minaret in Marrakesh:

Minarets in Baghdad:

Arches in Fez (Morocco):

Arches in Baghdad:
abbasid_house_01.jpg

And so on.

Please let's not insult the diversity of the Islamic architectural tradition by pretending it's all the same. That would be as reductive as claiming that all European buildings are the same.
I dont get your point... these look the same to me though.

1654891731155.png
1654891767786.png
1654891601482.png

1654891829384.png

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

A minaret in Marrakesh:

Minarets in Baghdad:

Arches in Fez (Morocco):

Arches in Baghdad:
abbasid_house_01.jpg

And so on.

And lets also not confuse either with pre-Arabic/Islamic architecture. "Arabs" didnt invade Iraq until 634 AD. The Ishtar gate in Babylon was built 1,100 years prior to that.

1654892174264.png

LittleBuford

And lets also not confuse either with pre-Arabic/Islamic architecture. "Arabs" didnt invade Iraq until 634 AD. The Ishtar gate in Babylon was built 1,100 years prior to that.

View attachment 644897
I agree with the general thrust of your point, though it’s worth noting that modern-day Iraqis who identify as Arab are predominantly descended from the pre-Islamic people of Iraq (Mesopotamia) rather than from outside invaders.

UNCgolf

A character meet-and-greet is one thing, but a whole ride based on a story set thousands of miles away would be highly inappropriate in my opinion.

I agree, but it's not that different than putting a fictional land in the Norway pavilion just because they used Scandinavian architecture. If Disney was willing to do one, I don't think they'd be stopped from doing the other.

J4546

I could see the Morocco Pavillion just getting completely redone into another country but they should def add a few first. I wanna see India and Egypt get a spot

LittleBuford

I agree, but it's not much different than putting a fictional land in the Norway pavilion just because they used Scandinavian architecture.
For that comparison to hold, the story of Sindbad would have to take place in a fictional country inspired by the Maghrib (i.e., the region to which Morocco belongs), just as Arendelle is inspired by Norway. That isn't the case at all, however: Sindbad is from Baghdad, nowhere near the Maghrib. So I don't agree with you that it's not much different. A better comparison would be if they decided to put a Russian-themed ride in the UK pavilion.

dreday3

Why does it need a ride? Just open (re-open) a new restaurant that serves authentic Moroccan food, hopefully a nicer one.

Then give the Americans what they (we ;) ) want - Rick's Cafe - a chic lounge with Moroccan entertainment and a piano player. Gambling and access to fraudulent passports in the back room would be a bonus.

LittleBuford

I could see the Morocco Pavillion just getting completely redone into another country
It's never going to happen. Not only would the optics be horrible (Morocco is currently the sole African and Islamic presence in World Showcase), but they'd have to pretty much raze the whole pavilion in order to convert it into another country. The Kutubiyya Minaret is as iconic as the Eiffel Tower—you can't just pretend it belongs somewhere outside Morocco.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom