News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is this the former Souk-al-Magreb shop outside? When was it renamed, or is this all part of Souk-Al Magreb but there are different facades/names on the exterior?
It says Souk-al-Magreb in the middle of the structure. The right side of the structure that pops out seems to have a new name added to it as the carpet shop. Only the Souk name appears on the Disney website.

Lilofan

It says Souk-al-Magreb in the middle of the structure. The right side of the structure that pops out seems to have a new name added to it as the carpet shop. Only the Souk name appears on the Disney website.
Its a unfortunate that the whole name could not be advertised on the website. Its not surprising.

Obobru

but for Disney to drop the ball in as sensitive an area as cultural representation is just inexcusable,
Yes the font is so much more culturally insensitive than a souk in an pavillion representing an Islamic country. While they do sell alcohol to tourists in Morocco it's in bars, hotels, and supermarkets for tourists none of which this place is.

Disney doesn't care about any culture other than American consumerism.

LittleBuford

Yes the font is so much more culturally insensitive than a souk in an pavillion representing an Islamic country. While they do sell alcohol to tourists in Morocco it's in bars, hotels, and supermarkets for tourists none of which this place is.

Disney doesn't care about any culture other than American consumerism.
“Souk” is just an Arabic word for market, so I’m not sure what you mean by your first sentence.

It may not matter to you, but the debacle surrounding the spice-cart inscriptions irks me a great deal, and I imagine others who can read the Arabic script feel similarly. I’m glad the text at least runs in the correct direction now, but a company of Disney’s standing should have got it right in the first place.

As to the serving of alcohol, since the whole pavilion is geared towards tourists, I don’t see what the issue is.

Comped

The thing that bothers me about closed shops is that it would be so simple to turn into a gallery or sitting area for guests to use. The boutique in Canada, shops in Morocco, Germany, UK, all just shuttered. Add some tables, put some props on the shelves, now guests have a place to sit and eat/drink without sprawling out on the streets. Disney keeps pushing the “foodie” thing without giving people enough places to eat it. Then they go and close an operating attraction to make yet another foodie booth. It’s really mind boggling.
And to think that Hudson's Bay Company once wanted to use that Canadian building as their flagship US location. Shame it never happened.

As for Morocco, there is a chance that another country could take over the pavilion, if Disney was looking for that sort of oppertunity...

castlecake2.0

And to think that Hudson's Bay Company once wanted to use that Canadian building as their flagship US location. Shame it never happened.

As for Morocco, there is a chance that another country could take over the pavilion, if Disney was looking for that sort of oppertunity...
HBC would be a perfect fit for the pavilion. Always thought they could make some sort of deal to also sponsor the cast costumes like when they did the Olympic uniforms. Lush, LuluLemon, Indigo, Herschel’s, all options that would fit well, someone’s just gotta make a move.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Countries don't run WD pavilions any more. Corporations from those companies do. Disney would need a big Moroccan company to take over the Morocco pavilion.

As for changing it to another country... Disney would surely make the new company pay for all the architectural changes, which would make it not ideal for any company. They'd be more prone to want to build new in one of the empty pads.

As for keeping the architecture but making it another country... not likely at all.

UNCgolf

Agreed, though Spain actually works to some extent. Right across the Strait of Gibraltar, and it's highly reminiscent of formerly Moorish cities like Granada. It could very easily pass as being inspired by the Alhambra.

It could to an extent, as you said, but it wouldn't really represent what most people think of/experience when they visit Spain (even though the different regions of Spain are quite distinct).

More importantly, it was built by Moroccan artisans specifically to represent Morocco, so it would be pretty insulting to then shift it to something else.

Comped

Countries don't run WD pavilions any more. Corporations from those companies do. Disney would need a big Moroccan company to take over the Morocco pavilion.

As for changing it to another country... Disney would surely make the new company pay for all the architectural changes, which would make it not ideal for any company. They'd be more prone to want to build new in one of the empty pads.

As for keeping the architecture but making it another country... not likely at all.
From what I understand there is a deal nearly in place for Morocco to change. It is something Disney are very much looking forward to because of the amount of money said country has pledged to spend on the pavilion and the ride they want.

HBC would be a perfect fit for the pavilion. Always thought they could make some sort of deal to also sponsor the cast costumes like when they did the Olympic uniforms. Lush, LuluLemon, Indigo, Herschel’s, all options that would fit well, someone’s just gotta make a move.
For my understanding HBC has always been the preferred option because of the relationship it's had with the government of Canada and the tourism board over the years. You could easily slot a pretty good size store if you figured out where to put all that storage. And, much like the best store at Epcot, in the Japanese pavilion, it would surely be a destination store if they stocked primarily Canadian products and built on the large Canadian guest base.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
From what I understand there is a deal nearly in place for Morocco to change. It is something Disney are very much looking forward to because of the amount of money said country has pledged to spend on the pavilion and the ride they want.
You know an upper level exec at Disney or a upper level minister of some country?

It's very had to believe this since:
1. countries themselves have stopped being sponsors of their pavilions​
2. any country or corporation that wanted to have a national pavilion could have done so in the past twenty years by building on one of the unused pads​
3. no other known insider whose track record has been well established is saying this​

castlecake2.0

You know an upper level exec at Disney or a upper level minister of some country?

It's very had to believe this since:
1. countries themselves have stopped being sponsors of their pavilions​
2. any country or corporation that wanted to have a national pavilion could have done so in the past twenty years by building on one of the unused pads​
3. no other known insider whose track record has been well established is saying this​
I’m doubtful, BUT, I could see the appeal. The pavilion is already built, easier and cheaper for someone to swoop in and make it their own, but who?

UNCgolf

I’m doubtful, BUT, I could see the appeal. The pavilion is already built, easier and cheaper for someone to swoop in and make it their own, but who?

It's hard for me to believe Disney would take that PR hit. It's the only pavilion representing Africa at all, and it was built by Moroccans specifically to represent Morocco.

Even if it was somewhere like Tunisia or Egypt to remain African representation, it was still designed and built with the heavy involvement of actual Moroccans instead of something Disney designed and built themselves.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

It's hard for me to believe Disney would take that PR hit. It's the only pavilion representing Africa at all, and it was built by Moroccans specifically to represent Morocco.

Even if it was somewhere like Tunisia or Egypt to remain African representation, it was still designed and built with the heavy involvement of actual Moroccans instead of something Disney designed and built themselves.
Totally agree, it would be a tricky situation

Lilofan

Interesting that the location in Epcot Morocco is called Souk-al-Malgreb, but WDW just advertises the location as the Souk.

Bocabear

Sindbad a Storybook Voyage please.
Oh if only...A real quality dark ride would be amazing... And the song is catchy and I am sure they would sell a TON of merch...It would continue the trend of the countries becoming a little more whimsical...but definitely more kid friendly...And since Magic Kingdom already has Agrabah in Adventureland, this would be a nice change...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom