News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

UNCgolf

I can't believe how bad that is. It's not remotely Moroccan, nor is even slightly related to anything else from any Islamic tradition -- it looks like something out of a subway station.

I hope Disney just hired a contractor and told them to install new tile without any further instruction. That would reflect poorly on Disney too for not being more involved in the process, but at least it would mean people at Disney didn't actually select/sign off on using this tile.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

And then they have the cheek to boast about their commitment to "research" and "authenticity"! Talk about empty rhetoric!
Yes, particularly when, as you've pointed out, they've already had issues with the very slow-moving 'refurbishment' of this pavilion! Once again, modern Disney seems to be characterised by a wild inconsistency in quality where you never know whether something will turn out looking like Tokyo DisneySea or... this.
They have a gallery in West Hollywood, for goodness' sake!

It would have been so easy for Disney to do this right.
Ha! A simple google search and they could have found a far better solution for this!

donaldtoo

The more I see and think about this, the more it ticks me off.
Whoever was involved in this from TWDC needs to be fired and then re-fired.

4D6CC645-A06C-4DB3-B65D-3B250A6DE07D.jpeg

Last edited:

Bocabear

They have a gallery in West Hollywood, for goodness' sake!

It would have been so easy for Disney to do this right.
I am sure there is a gallery right there in Orlando selling Zellij tile... it is not that hard to find... this was just a quick and cheap refurb... Why bother to get it right when it is technically not even really the Morocco Pavilion anymore...just Mediterranean tapas and an Aladdin meet and Greet. Boo!

LittleBuford

I wonder what the current King of Morocco might have to say about all this…?
Does anyone know if he’s been contacted for comment…?! 🤔;)

View attachment 787937
I doubt Epcot is a particularly pressing concern for him. It would be great, however, if someone with a relatively high profile and some sort of claim to a cultural connection could publicly shame Disney about this.

LittleBuford

I am sure there is a gallery right there in Orlando selling Zellij tile... it is not that hard to find... this was just a quick and cheap refurb... Why bother to get it right when it is technically not even really the Morocco Pavilion anymore...just Mediterranean tapas and an Aladdin meet and Greet. Boo!
Zellij done well (to a standard similar to what it would have been replacing) isn’t cheap, but Disney has more than enough money.

I don’t understand the second part of your post. The pavilion is still unmistakably Moroccan in its architecture and decoration (apart from the disastrous new tilework).

Bocabear

It's all decline by degrees... Now the tile, the restaurant is gone, the new restaurant is not necessarily Moroccan but Mediterranean tapas, Aladdin's story does not take place in Morocco... Yes there are still some unmistakable Moroccan things about the pavilion, but It seems to be slipping. When the restaurant and Tangerine Cafe reopen along with the full bazaar the way it used to be, then I will start feeling better about it....

LittleBuford

It's all decline by degrees... Now the tile, the restaurant is gone, the new restaurant is not necessarily Moroccan but Mediterranean tapas, Aladdin's story does not take place in Morocco... Yes there are still some unmistakable Moroccan things about the pavilion, but It seems to be slipping. When the restaurant and Tangerine Cafe reopen along with the full bazaar the way it used to be, then I will start feeling better about it....
Aladdin has been there since the ’90s.

In this thread and others, you keep overlooking the fact that the architecture of the pavilion quotes famous landmarks of Morocco. They may not read as specifically Moroccan to you, but that doesn’t mean they’re any less iconic of the country than the Eiffel Tower is of France.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What a scandal! It is a little sad though.

Yes it's a scandal. It points to being completely oblivious to ACTUAL Moroccan craftsmanship to put something completely generic and not related to Moroccan style AT ALL.

This isn't a local amusement park that slaps anything that looks similar, this is supposed to be the gold standard of theme parks. It is especially important these days with the reach of social media and showing Disney is now running their theme parks completely ignorant of the culture they're trying to represent? I also wonder how the CM's feel...the ones who actually come from Morocco to work at the pavilion.

I worked as a contractor in 2007-2008 and my job was to walk around World Showcase to maintain credit card terminals for Food and Wine festival. When I wasn't fixing things, I was chatting with various CM's and honestly the people at the Morocco pavilion were some of the coolest, nicest people there.

aladdin2007

Yes it's a scandal. It points to being completely oblivious to ACTUAL Moroccan craftsmanship to put something completely generic and not related to Moroccan style AT ALL.

This isn't a local amusement park that slaps anything that looks similar, this is supposed to be the gold standard of theme parks. It is especially important these days with the reach of social media and showing Disney is now running their theme parks completely ignorant of the culture they're trying to represent? I also wonder how the CM's feel...the ones who actually come from Morocco to work at the pavilion.

I worked as a contractor in 2007-2008 and my job was to walk around World Showcase to maintain credit card terminals for Food and Wine festival. When I wasn't fixing things, I was chatting with various CM's and honestly the people at the Morocco pavilion were some of the coolest, nicest people there.
I agree alI the way.....but I don't think they care anymore, or they do and whoever was in charge of this was not overseen and didn't care and somehow this got approved by a bunch of clueless kids in a money crunching cubicle or something. The groups in charge of this park have a problem I can't figure it out...also I don't think Moroccan cast for the most part has been brought back since covid?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom