News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

mergatroid

Transmission from Zach

This says the signs are authentic from the country

One detail I really loved were these metal hand-painted street signs. You can find these all over the markets and souks in Morocco – where artists paint professions with these lovely illustrations translated with Arabic and French descriptions. I was surprised to learn these signs aren’t props – they are authentic items our team purchased in Morocco and brought back to EPCOT! Another example how we aim to bring the real world to life for our Guests through our designs.

Something else that’s bothering me is that this is computer-font Arabic (which is how the error happened in the first place), unlike the older signage at the pavilion, which was clearly custom-designed by people accomplished in calligraphy:

o_1afhkjukdn9noms1jqo2khktne.jpg

tangier-traders-clothing-and-leatherwork-gift-shop-entrance-logo-sign-in-morocco-pavilion-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world-635x370.jpeg

True, one wouldn’t expect a spice cart to have calligraphic inscriptions, but they could at least have gone for a handwritten style rather than something that looks like it was mistyped on Microsoft Word!
This implies something completely different, so which is right? Or are both the above original and I've misunderstood?

Last edited:

LittleBuford

This says the signs are authentic from the country
That doesn't apply to the texts painted on and above the spice cart. Again, my observation isn't just a quibble: the letters are in the wrong order and, moreover, disjointed (Arabic letters almost always connect to each other). Here is a good analogy of how the mistake looks to someone who can read Arabic:

𝔂 𝓮 𝓷 𝓼 𝓲 𝓓 (versus the correct 𝓓𝓲𝓼𝓷𝓮𝔂)

This implies something completely different, so which is right? Or are both the above original and I've misunderstood?
I'm not sure what you're asking. The Brass Bazaar and Tangier Traders signs were there from before. They are well-executed examples of calligraphy.

mergatroid

That doesn't apply to the texts painted on and above the spice cart. Again, my observation isn't just a quibble: the letters are in the wrong order and, moreover, disjointed (Arabic letters almost always connect to each other). Here is a good analogy of how the mistake looks to someone who can read Arabic:

𝔂 𝓮 𝓷 𝓼 𝓲 𝓓 (versus the correct 𝓓𝓲𝓼𝓷𝓮𝔂)

I'm not sure what you're asking. The Brass Bazaar and Tangier Traders signs were there from before. They are well-executed examples of calligraphy.
No sorry, I thought you were comparing The Brass Bazaar sign against the Tangier Traders sign.

mergatroid

No worries! The contrast between them is a nice illustration of how varied Arabic calligraphic can be. The Brass Bazaar is in a script called Kufic, and Tangier Traders is in a script called thuluth.

please_use_somewhere_could_be_main_image_calligraphy_styles.jpg
Interesting stuff, thanks. I've never spent too much time exploring the Morocco pavilion really. A few times I stopped to watch the belly dancing lady however Mrs Mergatroid quickly dragged me away for some reason on those occasions :D

GimpYancIent

Interesting stuff, thanks. I've never spent too much time exploring the Morocco pavilion really. A few times I stopped to watch the belly dancing lady however Mrs Mergatroid quickly dragged me away for some reason on those occasions :D
Ok I am ready to be attacked, but, how do you write Aladdin in the correct Arab calligraphy? For the fictional Agrabah.

LittleBuford

Ok I am ready to be attacked, but, how do you write Aladdin in the correct Arab calligraphy? For the fictional Agrabah.
علاء الدين

Here it is stylised for the Arabic translation of the Disney movie:

aladdin-arabic-1_orig.jpg

ETA: I very much doubt Agrabah is going to take over the Morocco Pavilion. As appalled as I am by the backwards Arabic, at least the new signage shows that Disney is committing to, rather than moving away from, the Moroccan theme.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Did Oasis previously undergo a name change from Oasis Slushies to Oasis Sweets and Sips or is this new with the sign?

DoleWhipDrea

Thanks for sharing this. I have a defunct Instagram account (I don't use social media) that I logged into an hour ago for the sole purpose of sending him a message about the backwards Arabic. He has already replied saying he will let the relevant people know.

It's really good to hear that he replied promptly about this. Coming from him, I imagine that it will get fixed fairly quickly.

And I echo the appreciation to you explaining these differences and details!

castlecake2.0

Thanks for sharing this. I have a defunct Instagram account (I don't use social media) that I logged into an hour ago for the sole purpose of sending him a message about the backwards Arabic. He has already replied saying he will let the relevant people know.
Write him back and ask him to plant some trees behind france so see don’t have to see a 1980s bus shelter and a parking lot as we come in for a landing on the skyliner

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom